Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS (Read 23769 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS

Reply #60
Short term pain. Medium term pain. long term pain. Can't tell the difference anymore

Reply #61
Totally agree, we need a couple of experienced bigger midfield bodies to help Cripps, Setterfield is a newbie kid learning the game and Kennedy has been injury prone.
and while he has been in the system a while is still finding his feet as a regular senior player.

Maybe more than small forwards we need a Marlion Pickett and Jye Bolton in the mid season draft who can help Cripps and give us some cover while Setterfield and Kennedy establish themselves.

‘while Kennedy and Settlefield establish themself’ or IF they establish themself.

This is a major part of our problem EB, we count players in well before they have shown anything. We just assume every early pick turns into a player. They don’t.

Neither has shown anything other then their draft position to suggest they will make it.

One has played 5 games the other seems to have commitment issues played 20 or so and looks very slow. Not exactly great signs to lock them in imo.

If we got a Newman type of player in each area of the ground (defence, mids and attack) over the last 3 years we would be miles ahead of where we are. Did we look hard enough ?

Too many kids without support is not the way to rebuild imo.

Reply #62
Kennedy has been playing 2s
E Curnow on a flank

Bolton prefers the bigger bodies of Fisher, SPS and Dow

Jack did ok in the third when in the middle

The coach is wasting valuable development time

Maybe Shorten could give him a new plan

Kennedy needs time like Setterfield both still learning...Jye Bolton and Marlion Pickett are mature footballers.
If Ed isnt tagging he doesnt impact enough for mine, we really need a Tim Kelly who can step straight in, get 25 plus possies a game and draw some heat off Cripps but quality like that
as a freebie doesnt  come around that often so you have to go with whats available.
We dont need more 75kg kids at the mid season draft.....

Reply #63
Totally agree, we need a couple of experienced bigger midfield bodies to help Cripps, Setterfield is a newbie kid learning the game and Kennedy has been injury prone.
and while he has been in the system a while is still finding his feet as a regular senior player.

Maybe more than small forwards we need a Marlion Pickett and Jye Bolton in the mid season draft who can help Cripps and give us some cover while Setterfield and Kennedy establish themselves.

Marlion pickett is a no brainer but it's going to be difficult to bring in Kennedy after he's missed a couple of weeks (?) of footy.

Kreuzer was pretty average today and didn't protect our players against Mumford nor offer anything around the ground & both Curnow's decision making is appalling - they can be exciting, but they make a lot of mistakes.

Murphy wouldn't have made one iota of difference and the harsh reality for all of us is that Ed Curnow, Gibbons, Macreadie, LOB, Stocker, Silvagni, Casboult, Thomas & arguably Setterfield wouldn't be playing in many of the top 8 senior sides.

Cunningham, Simpson will help next week and I'd also consider Lang for some run.

Reply #64
Maybe time to start to pick teams more on merit instead of
“Getting games into them”
Example our key defender is injured so instead of bringing in Goddard a key defender playing well in the two’s we try to turn a ruckman into chb WTF, O’Brien hasn’t had a kick in the two’s let alone the ones gets a game Schumacher who has been playing well gets left out!  Ed curnow is a tagger no more no less hey let’s try and turn him into Eddie betts, Charlie superstar can’t get a touch let alone dominate but Kerr who has been consistent can’t get a run, Kennedy must have run over the coaches dog as a bloke of his ability not being picked is a joke.
It’s round 9 one win after two wins last year think I have bought my last membership after nearly 51 years just don’t have the stomach to remain positive I’ve tried but have almost lost interest completely

Reply #66
Example our key defender is injured so instead of bringing in Goddard a key defender playing well in the two’s we try to turn a ruckman into chb WTF, O’Brien hasn’t had a kick in the two’s let alone the ones gets a game Schumacher who has been playing well gets left out!  Ed curnow is a tagger no more no less hey let’s try and turn him into Eddie betts, Charlie superstar can’t get a touch let alone dominate but Kerr who has been consistent can’t get a run, Kennedy must have run over the coaches dog as a bloke of his ability not being picked is a joke.
It’s round 9 one win after two wins last year think I have bought my last membership after nearly 51 years just don’t have the stomach to remain positive I’ve tried but have almost lost interest completely

We all feel your pain & it was hard to watch

Reply #67

Great post.

I do believe its vital we keep playing the ones that we are almost certain will make it but the kids are a different story - they should be played on form majority of the time.

Does look like many of our kids are too comfortable and know Bolton has their back.

Didn’t Bolton say get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Not sure our kids were listening when this was said.

Reply #68
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-05-19/bolton-blues-failed-to-respond?fbclid=IwAR1nbQpj9Qr_pBRC3p1QR8JmPRfYjawon0FFQm1SCSw7ugt_qTtVjbVebnk

So BB asks we not treat this game in isolation but rather look at the body of our work over 9 games. Okay. We've won 1 game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #69
Marlion pickett is a no brainer but it's going to be difficult to bring in Kennedy after he's missed a couple of weeks (?) of footy.

Kreuzer was pretty average today and didn't protect our players against Mumford nor offer anything around the ground & both Curnow's decision making is appalling - they can be exciting, but they make a lot of mistakes.

Murphy wouldn't have made one iota of difference and the harsh reality for all of us is that Ed Curnow, Gibbons, Macreadie, LOB, Stocker, Silvagni, Casboult, Thomas & arguably Setterfield wouldn't be playing in many of the top 8 senior sides.

Cunningham, Simpson will help next week and I'd also consider Lang for some run.

Hopefully Jones back too as you need effort players and he gives you that, Kerr would also be a cert for me and Casboult out..McGovern can play down back in Plowmans role and
intercept like his brother and maybe play on Membrey who has become a decent player for the Saints...
Lang is 50/50 for me...still not sold on him but he does kick straight when he gets near goal and maybe Gibbons needs a rest too...unsighted today.
Macreadie and Obrien need NB's time too...I'd keep Stocker in the team as well as Jack, not great today but didnt give up.

Reply #70
Why do our players jog after the player with the ball or better still, run towards the potential receiver instead of attacking the ball-carrier ??

Admittedly it was from the perspective of the TV but I lost count the number of times it looked like our players appeared to completely ignore the guy with the ball even though they were within arms distance of them.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #71
So BB asks we not treat this game in isolation but rather look at the body of our work over 9 games. Okay. We've won 1 game.

Bolton's kidding himself.  If we lose to the saints, he will be sacked.  Footy is big business and loyalty can only go so far.  We all love the navy blues- that is why we are on here and talk about them every week.  But as a supporter you need to see progress.  We haven't.  I don't know who will do a better job, or even if anyone can, but this I do know- the current setup is not working.  As senior coach you simply must take full responsibility.

Reply #72
Hopefully Jones back too as you need effort players and he gives you that, Kerr would also be a cert for me and Casboult out..McGovern can play down back in Plowmans role and
intercept like his brother and maybe play on Membrey who has become a decent player for the Saints...
Lang is 50/50 for me...still not sold on him but he does kick straight when he gets near goal and maybe Gibbons needs a rest too...unsighted today.
Macreadie and Obrien need NB's time too...I'd keep Stocker in the team as well as Jack, not great today but didnt give up.

Agree on Macreadie and OBrien and also agree that Jones and JSOS always give a 100% effort, which is more than you can say about a number of others.

Im not entirely convinced about Kerr as he isn’t overly agile or quick, but it’s certainly worth trying st this stage.

Reply #73
 I expected today's result,  so I can't get too worked up about it.   I didn't see the presser but if I was BB I would have shopped Mumthug...."yeah,  Murphy is OK,  got busted ribs, tends to be what happens when a bloke goes in with the knees after the ball has moved on... "

Hard for the defenders today with the abject lack of pressure applied by the midfield today. So I'll cut those blokes some slack. MacCreadie was picked before he was ready.

But I'm totally over our midfield.   Christ we have some soft passengers and blokes that drink their own bathwater.

Ed has been a loyal servant but gees he's a limited footballer and good players badly show him up.

Need to start selecting a side with a chance.  That means no Lachie O'Brien, no Levi Casboult and dropping blokes like Dow and both the Curnows.  Pick Kennedy and get him involved. Heck,  wasn't he supposed to be Cripps' support,  difficult to do that in the twos.

I've heard lots of theories about OBrien - he needs mass, he needs strength he needs games he needs kryoptonite.   What he needs is a cup of concrete because his "efforts" today were deadset piss weak. Harden up or F off.

And we need ready mades in the MSD,  not kids for the future.  If there don't start to be wins,  there won't be any future.

And forget about trades and FA. No one in their right mind will come to Carlton.   Nobody.

The club has until the bye to turn this around,  or it's going to get nasty,  really nasty.  It's flashing light panic button time.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #74
It really looks like it’s time for the mid season review of every role in the entire club after this next game against the Saints. To see what is working and what isn’t. Coaches, players, recruit staff, team selection for every match, game plans, tactical changes etc. Before the bye. Before the mini break. Like a fresh start with new ways to develop and move forward before we see positive changes. A good soul searching moment for every player too. Seriously looking at their own performance and efforts in the first part of this season. It’s hard to see that every person in the club has bought into this rebuild properly yet. Especially the players. The coach BB has stuck by the playing group. Are they prepared to do their best to cover his arse. Questions need to be asked before we can honestly move a real step forward. Plenty of fine tuning to do at the moment.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.