Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 29836 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #60
You get a Gold Star when you win but I dont see reasonable people marking today as a fail in his coaching examination....

yet.

In the long run, it will be treated just like last weeks efforts. A 'loss' in a long stream of other losses.

Reply #61
Kreuzer and Setterfield bring the size to help Cripps.

Last week Cripps was getting hammered.

Yes, no doubt. I like the look of Setterfield.

Reply #62
No one likes honourable losses but it will turn around, we've finally got a list with a good spread of talent and the wins will come.
The umpires didn't cost us the game, Collingwood just ran the game out better and their experienced players turned the dial up, it only takes one or two touches here and there and one or two tired fumbles our way and the momentum swings.
I was very happy with Cunningham's game today, I've had my doubts about him but I think that he'll become a very good player, he's happy to cop a tackle or two and always looks after his team mates.
On to next week Blues!
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #63
We were in the lead for large parts of that game. In fact, the biggest margin was at the final siren.

Reply #64
No we weren't.

Look a little deeper. We conceded the last 5 goals.

We were 2 goals up in the last qtr and threw it away. Why? Same old, same old... don't know how to win (the game was there for the taking, we had it) and when fierce, uncompromising pressure is applied we do poos and wees.

Remove last week as an aberration and you're left with what we find a way to do, our chronic condition... losing bravely. It's even the headline on the AFL website, "Magpies break brave Blues hearts in MCG thriller." Just about every week we are described as 'brave'... or 'honourable loss'.
I could watch the replay pick the blunders by us that cost 4-5 goals.

Yes, there is a trend.

Yes, we do still make mistakes.

But with OUR mistakes we were close

With the umpires mistakes, we had no chance.

The thing is, we find a new way of losing each and every week. I get that.

But, with these losses (last week aside) we are looking more and more confident, and competent.

Against Gold Coast, we lost after leading most of the game.....but it was ONLY Gold Coast.
Against Hawks, a more fancied, battle harderned opponent....we dominated early....yet couldn't match them late.....and lost by 2 seconds. (Team wise, a harder opponent and more dominant performance)
Against Pies, we went toe to toe with them. And did so with 1-arm behind our back courtesy of the umps....but even then, we were up to our eyeballs against about as good of a side as there is in the comp....and we matched it with them.

So yes, there is a trend of losing the unloseable games, but we are doing so against better and better opponents. When we come up against some weaker opponents from here on in, if we bring the same effort, we will smash them. Just like we did with the dogs.

Reply #65
yet.

In the long run, it will be treated just like last weeks efforts. A 'loss' in a long stream of other losses.

Unfortunately how things go. You either win games or you don’t. Media thrives on this and I am sure ignoring what is speculated eventually is heard and believed by all. Bottom 4 sides are seen as a lost case by most at the end of any season. Some might say a failure.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #66
The only time I was confident that we’d get a free was when a Collingwood player kicked out on the full ????

On a more positive note, I like the look of Stocker and can understand why SOS and co were so pleased to have landed him.  He is going to be a player and it’s good that he is starting off in the backline both for his development and what it says about the club’s priorities.

McGovern looked like he belonged today and I think he will become a valuable player for us.

Finally, I was adamant that Levi couldn’t play a defensive role at AFL level and I was shocked when he started in the backline ... and played a serviceable game.  Reid was a good matchup for him you can’t take anything away from his performance.  Some of his spoils were almost Jonesesque!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
Let’s not forget when the umpires stopped the ball up to tell them they needed an extra player in the centre. Forgive me if I’m wrong but I thought that once the umps were set up no one else could come into the square.

Reply #68
When you’re 3 points down and it’s hovering dangerously in the their forward 50 for an extended period, why can’t we concede a point to regain possession and then go for broke?? At that stage, giving them a point would have served us better than ‘defending grimly’. 

Reply #69
yet.

I don't think the majority of supporters are much interested in the different shades of losing we demonstrate. Hang on, if we keep going like this we could release a book... '50 Shades Of Losing'.  ;) ;D Kidding. Hey, you gotta laugh, because if you don't...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70
Let’s not forget when the umpires stopped the ball up to tell them they needed an extra player in the centre. Forgive me if I’m wrong but I thought that once the umps were set up no one else could come into the square.

We should have had a free against us in the last quarter for a second set up infringement.

Reply #71
As close as this season is looking when you compare top sides to the bottom sides, it is hard to see where the next victory will be. We play the dogs only one more time before the season ends. ????????
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #72
Yes, there is a trend.

Yes, we do still make mistakes.

But with OUR mistakes we were close

With the umpires mistakes, we had no chance.

The thing is, we find a new way of losing each and every week. I get that.

But, with these losses (last week aside) we are looking more and more confident, and competent.

Against Gold Coast, we lost after leading most of the game.....but it was ONLY Gold Coast.
Against Hawks, a more fancied, battle harderned opponent....we dominated early....yet couldn't match them late.....and lost by 2 seconds. (Team wise, a harder opponent and more dominant performance)
Against Pies, we went toe to toe with them. And did so with 1-arm behind our back courtesy of the umps....but even then, we were up to our eyeballs against about as good of a side as there is in the comp....and we matched it with them.

So yes, there is a trend of losing the unloseable games, but we are doing so against better and better opponents. When we come up against some weaker opponents from here on in, if we bring the same effort, we will smash them. Just like we did with the dogs.

That's a fair call. Totally agree, thus far.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #73
We should have had a free against us in the last quarter for a second set up infringement.

Well it just goes to prove how bad they were today.

Reply #74
mostly enjoyable game to watch … 70k at the MCG, Carlton v Collingwood and led most of the way

I've been critical of Murphy and Marchbank but both were very good today as were Cripps, Kreuzer, Thomas, Fisher, Cunningham, C Curnow & M McGovern. Casboult was great at CHB and I have to say I preferred the stability of him there vs the chaos of Jones. Gibbons, Setterfield, Williamson & Stocker should all be better for the run and I have to say that I remembered Williamson having more pace and strength.

SPS, Walsh, Mckay all serviceable but quieter than usual

Silvagni, Dow & Plowman all need to work on their decision making and polish.

We're a couple of mature players away from winning these matches and next trade period we'll need to snag a Shaun Burgoyne equivalent.