Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 3346 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #90
In fairness, we did have 5 rushed behinds (they had 0)
So it was essentially 14.9 to 16.4, and we had at least 1 hit the post, and 1 go down as touched when it was a goal. So its not so bad when you dive down into it.

It was more of a case of them not being able to miss more than it was our bad kicking.

And they couldn't miss because so many of their shots on goal were 'easy.' When a side has 20 shots on goal and nails 80% of them, you look at your defence... it wasn't 'luck', it was simply that their shots on goal were 'a walk in the park.' Poor pressure. We gave the 'suckers' an even break and made them look much better than they were.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #91
We literally won game(s?) last year without a recognised ruck.

You, among others, have pointed out how pointless some ruck stats are.

You, amonth others, have pointed out that the around the ground work is more important than what happens in the ruck.

So why are you, among others, so fixated on the need for a second ruck in the side?

For the record, Harry did not attend a single ruck contest.

As many of us have mentioned previously, bringing in a ruckman (Pitto) for a mid (Cerra) was baffling... to be kind. Dumb, to be blunt. This spanks of 'Old Carlton'... sentimental selections (which could also apply to small Durds & Fantasia).

It's not that it's the end of the world, but (as a I banged on about previously) with so many of our recent 'precarious' victories we cannot afford to ignore the signs; the reality, and flirting with form with silly errors at the selection table almost spanks of arrogance.

We are still very much a work in progress with a fair way to go yet.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #92
Just got the impression that we went in just that bit too light talent wise to win another tight one. We did get Sammy back and he  played well but others like Cerra were missing. And as others have already said, perhaps it was not the game for Pitto to come in. Weiters was certainly somewhat down on form to add to the woes.

Anyway,  we were just not quite good enough on the day to win another tight one. We definitely will need to smarten up for GWS. Hopefully we will but I'm a bit apprehensive at this stage.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #93
I think we need to try TDK back, Pitto ruck. Gov, Kemp or Young don't look to be the second key back. One of them plays as the 3rd, which ever is fit apparently. We can't play H, Charlie and TDK fwd at the same time. Badly miss a third hybrid fwd like SOS or Martin. No wonder the interest in the kid from Sydney.

What interest and which kid

Reply #94
We have become their bunnies. Hate those Crows. They have some ordinary players that we play into for. I mean 16.4 bet they dont do that again.

Some have said that TDK would of got smashed if not for Pitto. We don't need to protect TDK, TDK needs to work out how to play these  bigger rucks and some how use the new rules to his advantage.

Adelaide seem to use the Freo model to stifle our ball movement and it worked. I think we will see this from other teams because we don't seem to work out what to do when the opposition starts the kick/ mark game.

Anyway hope the players, ciaching stuff and MC have learnt from this game.

Reply #95
And they couldn't miss because so many of their shots on goal were 'easy.' When a side has 20 shots on goal and nails 80% of them, you look at your defence... it wasn't 'luck', it was simply that their shots on goal were 'a walk in the park.' Poor pressure. We gave the 'suckers' an even break and made them look much better than they were.

Agree completely with this. It is much easier to kick a goal when you are under minimal pressure and the shots are taken in the corridor.
They opened us up like a tin of sardines when going forward. It was embarrassing to watch.
As I said in a previous post, the inability of our midfielders (lack of pace) to put pressure on hurts us on transition especially on the Marvel highway deck.

Reply #96
Our main problem IMO is we're just fumbling too much. Don't know why, but it's incredibly frustrating and looks like it's contagious throughout the team. Fix that and we'll return to form

Reply #97
Hurstbridge / Mernda ??

Yes ... I was staying with my son in Macleod and ended up at Epping  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #98
Yes ... I was staying with my son in Macleod and ended up at Epping  ::)

Yep, I'm out that way and many a person have made that mistake. You are not alone.

Reply #99
I have thought a lot about the game and, apart from inaccurate kicking for goal, I can’t really explain how we lost. 

The team stats tally with my impression of the game with one exception; free kicks!

Although both teams ended up with the same number of frees, we should have had more if the holding the ball rule was applied as I think it is supposed to be.  We also missed out on some crucial decisions that robbed us of scoring opportunities and presented the Crows with opportunities.  And then there’s the score review debacles.

That said, we didn’t play anywhere near our best footy, but I don’t think we have so far this season.

Perhaps this was the loss we had to have …
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #100
They kicked 16-4 which is crazy accurate.
The 2 weeks prior they scored 8-15 and 4-10.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #101
They kicked 16-4 which is crazy accurate.
The 2 weeks prior they scored 8-15 and 4-10.

Yes, but as other posters have mentioned, they had nine shots from directly in front and within 40 metres.  That accounted for eight goals and one behind.  The ease with which they hit targets and were paid frees directly in front or on slight angles is damning.

At the other end, we scored two behinds from shots taken within 10 metres 🙄

Reply #102
First Crack showed Rankine going into the middle and stood on Cripps. Crows won the ball, Rankine pushed forward and got away from our captain who was right on his tail but too slow to stop him.

Next time Hewett picked him up but then just let Rankine go by himself inside 50.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #103
First Crack showed Rankine going into the middle and stood on Cripps. Crows won the ball, Rankine pushed forward and got away from our captain who was right on his tail but too slow to stop him.

Next time Hewett picked him up but then just let Rankine go by himself inside 50.

I saw stuff live that made me think the game review will be hard to watch for some players this week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #104

Sure, its not great and will be harshly judged, but do we actually have anyone that could catch him?