Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 24845 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #15
I queried his diminutive size when drafted but Fisher has proved to be an astute selection.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #16
A much improved team effort but we'd kill for a decent small forward or two.
Plenty to like about some of the kids, top games from Cripps, Thomas and Jones.
Roll on next week, we'll win one soon enough.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #17
Great summary Kruddler. Spot on IMO.
The other players I thought were a bit quiet or at least patchy, were Samo and Garlett. Both WA boys, may be suffering the loss of fellow Freo player.

Those 2, along with SOSOS were far from brilliant performances, but i don't think any of them dropped there head and stopped working. Garlett only had 5 touches, but 3 tackles to go with it.

You can't always get the ball, but you can always give effort on defense.

Reply #18
Could only watch on tv so can't really tell what's going on but our effort/workrate seemed much better than the last two weeks, weren't consistently outnumbered at contests, and we seemed much better with our tackiling, so I'm happy with that. Basic skills errors cost us, but so be it. Excellent signs from Dow and O'Brien. Cripps was awesome, again. McKay may end up being a player, and Fisher continues to impress every week. Good signs, but a lot of work still to do

Reply #19
A much improved team effort but we'd kill for a decent small forward or two.
Plenty to like about some of the kids, top games from Cripps, Thomas and Jones.
Roll on next week, we'll win one soon enough.

Can we ask for Betts and Garlett back?...lol.

Reply #20
I was happy with our overall performance which was in line with our development journey and included a lot of good stuff from our younger brigade. The highlight without doubt was the inspirational performance from Cripps, displaying the kind of leadership we are crying out for   - magnificent. I actually thought in one mad moment we might pinch it. A good morale booster despite it being a loss.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
Plowman's last 2 weeks have been ordinary - he's a much better player than that.

Reply #22
Can we ask for Betts and Garlett back?...lol.

Garlett (our current Garlett) looks good at times but then does something inexplicably bad, hopefully he'll get better with experience.
Silvagni looks good but simply doesn't get enough of the ball, Lamb is pretty average.
Matty Wright is the pick of them but he's nothing special either.
I was rapt to see McKay hit the scoreboard, it might be just the confidence boost that he needs.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #23
Pickett would help

Reply #24
Before commenting on the game just have to say I like anyone else at the game today witnessed the man who just HAS to be our leader from next year.

Haven’t seen a captains display like I saw today since Judd was at his peak.

Cripps willed himself on every contest, was inspirational, an absolute bull in tight who WC just couldn’t stop and then when he didn’t have the ball made his 11 tackles hurt the opposition.

He imposed himself every time the ball was in sight, and did everything in his power to get us the win.

Hate losing but he made me proud to be blues fan today. 

Reply #25
Disappointed....we didnt win the game, WC are average IMO and we got robbed by the umpires many times.....Bolton should have played Mckay sooner, his presence makes us look better and more dangerous and the kid can kick straight, Bolton has plenty of cliches but not much common sense.
Cripps led from the front and was BOG IMO, credit to Philips, did well vs NitWit and deserves to keep his place when MK comes back, Jones was next best to Cripps as our best player and I think Rowe had a lot to do with that. Fisher as suggested by others is a fine player and will serve us well in a Kade Simpson manner....
Plowman had a shocker and needs to improve, OShea's kicking and awareness were not great and he needs to lift, Kerridge was handy..

Samo and Garlett were not great but both are still learning.....
Bit of praise for Dale Thomas who backed up a good game last week with another good one this week and got unlucky with one free kick to Lecras...umpiring as I said was very poor. Matty Wright was handy after a poor game last week and CharlieC was also ok at times....
Hope we can build on this game and beat the Bulldogs next week, we dont need a relapse back to the form we showed in the North game..

Reply #26
Garlett (our current Garlett) looks good at times but then does something inexplicably bad, hopefully he'll get better with experience.
Silvagni looks good but simply doesn't get enough of the ball, Lamb is pretty average.
Matty Wright is the pick of them but he's nothing special either.
I was rapt to see McKay hit the scoreboard, it might be just the confidence boost that he needs.

Yes, SOS has to get a bit of the ball or hit the scoreboard more with the possessions he gets. In a good side he could be a dangerous 3rd tall but struggles in our side.

Matty Wright is what we call a handy player. Nothing special but nothing too bad either.

McKay, 7 goals in 3 games, or essentially 2 1/2 games. There's the future and will eventually replace Casboult by next year, Levi's handy, held the fort well when needed for a few years, but we know his limitations. Need him now to support McKay as he develops further, then McKay takes over his role.

Reply #27
Yes, SOS has to get a bit of the ball or hit the scoreboard more with the possessions he gets. In a good side he could be a dangerous 3rd tall but struggles in our side.

Matty Wright is what we call a handy player. Nothing special but nothing too bad either.

McKay, 7 goals in 3 games, or essentially 2 1/2 games. There's the future and will eventually replace Casboult by next year, Levi's handy, held the fort well when needed for a few years, but we know his limitations. Need him now to support McKay as he develops further, then McKay takes over his role.

It will be a tremendous load off for all Carlton supporters if McKay can build on what he showed today and become a reliable key forward in time.
We should get another high draft pick this year which will probably be another classy midfielder, so that part of the puzzle should be getting closer to being solved, and our back 6 will be fine in a couple of years.
It's scoring that will be an ongoing problem, even if McKay measures up we might need to poach a small forward or two.

Reply #28
I know Garlett hasn’t played a lot of footy but his lack of defensive pressure is appauling.

Watched him closely today and he is a lazy footballer who hates physical contact.

He better build an amazing offensive game or won’t make it.

Fisher on the other hand shows all the signs of a A grade 10 year plus footballer. He proves you don’t have to be big to make your tackles stick.

Reply #29
Bolton: "I'm glad I succumbed to the pressure to play McKay"...lol.