Skip to main content
Topic: R13 : Carlton drowned by the Hawks (Read 44946 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R13 : Carlton drowned by the Hawks

Reply #120
I was at the game and the consensus was that Carrazzo was best on ground.
Was BOG from my TV also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #121
If there was anyone out there who was of the opinion that Mathew Watson has a future at the club they surely would of conceded tonight they were wrong.

I feel for the guy but he just had his papers stamped tonight for good.

I've had a long rethink on this guy and have come up with an alternative option for us to try.

Some people think he should be persisted with and given that we have nothing to lose this season, let's trial him as a FF.

Yes, you read that right, as a FF !!

Casboult is being given every opportunity to succeed and his size ideally suits the CHF role as well as giving him some additional space to run into up the ground.

Watson is 195cm & 101kg, he is a decent-sized lad, he showed that can take the ball on the lead and we know he has a huge booming kick on him. Plonk him in the goal-square and tell him to lead straight up the ground, the mids will deliver it lace-out on his chest.

He is bereft of confidence right now and there is nothing worse than playing a key role in defence when you're second guessing yourself.

Give him the remainder of the season as a forward and see how he goes, if it doesn't work then we are no worse off than we are right now. If he ends up succeeding, then we have just solved another of our bigger issues.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #122
Hawthorn players looked much quicker than us tonight and their skills are something to behold. Mclean looked like an old man in comparison. Breust, Puopolo, Hill, Smith, Riolo, all rotate through the middle and they are all quick and skillful. Get with the times Carlton - we need to draft for this.

Everyone who watched the game would have noticed the same thing, but a lot of it comes from confidence.
Hawthorn has been thereabouts since they finished 5th in 2007 and they've won couple of flags since, the players expect success.
They expect to hit targets, they expect to nail all of their set shots and they expect to kick most of the difficult ones as well, Suckling drifted forward for a couple last night and he didn't look like missing, young players called on to play in the senior team are expecte to perform at their best, it's all a part of a winning culture that feeds on itself and leads to more wins and self belief.
You won't hear Hawthorn supporters saying that this bloke or that "wasn't too bad", or that he "did a couple of nice things", they simply don't accept players who can't execute basic skills.
Carlton players are used to mediocrity, I'm not saying they don't aspire to better but it's a hard cycle to break, Murphy is one of the elite players in the competition and hasn't played in a team that's gone into the third week of a finals series, at least sub consciously he probably doesn't expect to beat the best teams.
Malthouse's biggest challenge is to instil self belief in all our players, not only our best half a dozen.

And it doesn't even have to take too long........20 months ago, Port Adelaide lost to GWS, Primus got the sack & they were a basket case.  And who in their right mind would have looked at their list & thought "gee they've got some potential there" !

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #123
I was at the game and the consensus was that Carrazzo was best on ground.
Was BOG from my TV also.
He may not have been BOG, but he was back to something like his best. Following an excellent game last week, it looks like he is back to fitness and form. Both of those have eluded him for some time and we have been the poorer for it. With him back and firing, our midfield starts to look a lot more competent.
It will take him a while to get his kicking right: it hasn't been a strength for most of his career. However, he made a not less mistakes than Matty Watson and he looked to be seriously on the rise.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #124
Oh and welcome back C Judd. What a gun! Still got the old champ! Loved the way he fired up when little tnuc Rioli got 2E. Mind you the protected species will get off.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #125
Oh and welcome back C Judd. What a gun! Still got the old champ! Loved the way he fired up when little tnuc Rioli got 2E. Mind you the protected species will get off.
I still consider Rioli the most overrated player in the game at the moment. He used to be OWNED by AJ, and AJ really did own very many. Sit on him closely and he does nothing: pity we don't have the sort of really quick, close minding player at the moment.
That will happen.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #126
I still consider Rioli the most overrated player in the game at the moment. He used to be OWNED by AJ, and AJ really did own very many. Sit on him closely and he does nothing: pity we don't have the sort of really quick, close minding player at the moment.
That will happen.
Thought it was just me that thought he was overrated. Thank god someone else sees it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #127
That will happen.
Thought it was just me that thought he was overrated. Thank god someone else sees it.
Oh no, Hawthorn people and Channel 7 seem to love him, but I've always considered him a down hill skier. He couldn't pick up his man to save his life and his game is based on the assumption that his team mates will cause turn overs.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #128
That will happen.
Oh no, Hawthorn people and Channel 7 seem to love him, but I've always considered him a down hill skier. He couldn't pick up his man to save his life and his game is based on the assumption that his team mates will cause turn overs.
Garlett has kicked more goals in less games.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #129
Rioli exposed Yarran last night.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #130
If there was anyone out there who was of the opinion that Mathew Watson has a future at the club they surely would of conceded tonight they were wrong.

I feel for the guy but he just had his papers stamped tonight for good.

I've had a long rethink on this guy and have come up with an alternative option for us to try.

Some people think he should be persisted with and given that we have nothing to lose this season, let's trial him as a FF.

Yes, you read that right, as a FF !!

Casboult is being given every opportunity to succeed and his size ideally suits the CHF role as well as giving him some additional space to run into up the ground.

Watson is 195cm & 101kg, he is a decent-sized lad, he showed that can take the ball on the lead and we know he has a huge booming kick on him. Plonk him in the goal-square and tell him to lead straight up the ground, the mids will deliver it lace-out on his chest.

He is bereft of confidence right now and there is nothing worse than playing a key role in defence when you're second guessing yourself.

Give him the remainder of the season as a forward and see how he goes, if it doesn't work then we are no worse off than we are right now. If he ends up succeeding, then we have just solved another of our bigger issues.

No, just no.

Did you not see his miss from 20m out?

He is slow to think and react. Any half decent backman will run off him. Guaranteed way to eliminate him from the game is to zone off him and/or get a 3rd man around him and he'll give up, drop his head and watch the opposition clear the ball away from him.

Watson is done.

Reply #131
The Hawks were just far more efficient with their kicks. We used a lot of energy trying to put pressure on them and they just kept hitting their targets by foot. Our kicks missed too often when we had the balll. In the end we just got worn out.

Reply #132
@Sheik

I agree! He'd be lethal around 50m.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #133
The boss may as well give it a go.

It might be an illusion but Watson appears quicker when playing as a forward.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #134
Rioli exposed Yarran last night.
I think he exposed 2E not Yarran. Yarran and 2E rotated btw Puopolo (another oxygen thief) and Rioli. When Yazz went for a run, neither Puopolo or Rioli followed and on occasions, 2E didnt cover his man. Rioli's goals were as follows:
1st result of Watto's miss kick in the pocket, not sure who the opponent but 2E was in the vicinity not Yazz
2nd was the dribbler, ran off after the advantage was given. 2E was his opponent.
3rd sagged off after Yarran went for a run, 2E again didnt provide back up, played Rioli very loosely.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th