Skip to main content
Topic: Need to Stick fat. (Read 35253 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Need to Stick fat.

Reply #45
No problems, but Josh Kennedy would be handy about now.
Really? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying if we had JK we wouldn't be in the predicament we are in? Or are you saying put him in our side next week and we would win? The way we are playing now? Not even JC would help us let alone JK. And I say to you also that it is very likely JK would not have developed as much if he stayed with us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46

Reckon JK would be standing in the F50 like a spare p&*ck at a Jewish wedding waiting for some decent delivery from our boys. In a better world, I would've wanted both Judd and JK.

Reply #47
Agree....I will pay my membership and attend all games...this year and next year....and the year after....and so on.

The question is are they are wasting your money?

I think they need a hit of reality, free of the saviors they have had in the past, the millionaire and billionaire meddlers, before they get serious about it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
I would've wanted both Judd and JK.

Judd's a broken man now, I've never seen him this way before, it's over for him. They talked him into playing on then announced an "R" word(Flubbo is ROTFL every time he sees a shot of The Judge on TV! EFC couldn't be sunk with 40,000 syringes, but Flubbo sunk Carlton with one "R" word!).

If I was Judd I'd be seriously pissed off with the club, I suspect that "R" decision has made him a Wet Toast player for life and I am not sure that is where he wanted to be! ;)

Our list sold him up the river, instead of copying his example they left him hung out to dry, they didn't stick fat why should we?

And feck me dead, on last night game plan, Chris Judd tagging really???
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Really? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying if we had JK we wouldn't be in the predicament we are in? Or are you saying put him in our side next week and we would win? The way we are playing now? Not even JC would help us let alone JK.

I'm saying none of those things.
What I'm trying to say is that Judd will be gone at the end of this season and we need to rebuild our list, and a 27 year old gun key forward is something you can rebuild around.
We jumped the gun with Judd and thought we were nearing a Premiership window, Sticks was still talking flags a couple of years ago but we haven't had a Premiership winning list or anything like it since the 1990's.
Judd has pulled in members and sponsorships and helped clean up our image but the only long term way to do all of those things is to win flags, and we haven't come anywhere near winning one since he came to us.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #50
Judd's a broken man now, I've never seen him this way before, it's over for him. They talked him into playing on then announced an "R" word(Flubbo is ROTFL every time he sees a shot of The Judge on TV! EFC couldn't be sunk with 40,000 syringes, but Flubbo sunk Carlton with one "R" word!).

If I was Judd I'd be seriously pissed off with the club, I suspect that "R" decision has made him a Wet Toast player for life and I am not sure that is where he wanted to be! ;)

Mick mentioned in his presser that they wanted to rest Judd this week, who was feeling a little sore. But owing to our injuries, Judd volunteered to play. But he didn't look great last night, that's for sure.

Reply #51
your non attendance does nothing other than to financially penalise the club

if you dont swipe your card at etihad and we dont reach 20,000 crowd , we pay etihad money

last week the club paid $200,000 to Etihad for a 16,000 crowd

no, Im wrong you are not a fair weather supporter, you are a football guru.... ::)

Oh Mozzie, such an apt name.

I'm well aware that the club loses money when nobody turns up.

What you are suggesting doesn't quite make sense though.

I know the club talks in general terms with attendances and profit/losses at games. What you are saying IMO is parroting what the club says.
However, i think the reality isn't so clear cut. Under your situation...

Scenario 1. If we get 19,999 people attend the game and each one of them buys a ticket at the gate. Not 1 single person is a member....because we didn't get 20,000 people there, we pay.

Scenario 2. If we have 20,000 people attend a game, and each one of them uses their membership card to get in, not 1 person buys a ticket at the gate. Then we don't pay Etihad a cent.

In reality,
 - under scenario 1, Etihad takes a lot of coin at the gate.
 - under scenario 2, Etihad doesn't make a cent.

But you are suggesting that 1 person makes all the difference? BS.

My interpretation of what the club says is that assuming general member/supporter ratio, the break even point is about 20,000. That is not set in stone.

So given i am a member and don't pay at the gate, my (non)attendance makes SFA difference to the bottom line.

Reply #52
Please change the title of this thread to,

"We need to cut the fat!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
Many mentions of The Board. Well, who are they and what exactly is the problem they bring to our current predicament.

Is there a direct link between the Clubs governance and its on-field performance?

The Board:

Jeannie Pratt- VISY. Sponsor. Spends her time spending the familys wealth on Arts, surely is a 'honorary' position given late husbands cash injection.

Marcus Clarke- Barrister. Provides pro-bono legal counsel. Useful, but hardly something that cant be bought when needed at Tribunal

Zac Fried - CEO. Shopping mall developer. Handy during the facility upgrade i suppose.

Ahmed Fahour-CEO. Australia Post. Clearly has exceptional business management skills, a required skill set these days.

Raphael Geminder- CEO. Another seat given to a sponsor (VISY). Does marketing stuff for the Club.

Adrian Gleeson- Ex player with a financial planning certificate. omgwtf

Greg Lee- CEO. Another sponsor seat handed out

Luke Sayers- Networker with business skills. Cant see what new skills he brings.

Craig Mathieson- CEO. Finance and business. Pokies money. Brings in the funds.

So we have 3 seats given to VISY, one of them to a old dame with bags of cash, 6 big time CEO's, a lawyer, a property developer, an ex footballer with a TAFE certificate, and some guy who used to work in Washington.

Whilst we can all identify what type of players we need, can we do the same for the Board. I would be interested in peoples thoughts.

Reply #54
The board make up has a few issues. My first impression is that while many of them have success in business, it is typically from a family business or privately owned perspective. This could lend itself to a less accountable style, compared to the director of a public company where the degree of accountability is greater.  Compromise and negotiation may be a less significant skill, as well as the ability to provide broad direction and follow a plan.

Another issue is that as this forum can show sometimes ( ;D) we can very passionate and fly off the handle about footy. Business success does not easily translate into footy success, both requiring a fair degree of detachment. Being on a footy club board is cherished in Melbourne, so could be a bit of an indulgence too.

Its important to remeber that they are all volunteers too, and are probably pretty unhappy about things as we are all here. I dont know any of them either, so it is very difficult to point to particular issues.

Reply #55

Yep but he would have left us as a free agent anyway, as we are not playing well.

That 3 for 1 will work out for us.

Just give it time.  Whiley is young, Jaksch barely had a preseason and Boekhorst has played more senior footy than any other player in this draft.

So far it looks like a flat draft with no guns coming out of it.

Patience is required.   Not many look good in a team playing how we are.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
Patience is required.   Not many look good in a team playing how we are.

I've been hearing that about our draft picks for a decade, we've had 4 hits out of about 40 picks and two of those were pick one.
Jaksch might turn out OK but pick 7?
Sellwood was pick 7, Bartel was pick 8, Franklin and Yarran were pick 6.
GWS must still be laughing.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #57
I've been hearing that about our draft picks for a decade, we've had 4 hits out of about 40 picks and two of those were pick one.
Yes, but a few have gone pick seven and not fired a shot.

Have you seen this year's pick.seven, and to give you a few chances, anyone else who is playing that went before Boekhorst?

I reckon the draft can be over rated some years and this might be one of them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #58
Yeah laughing all the way to 4th on the ladder.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
I'll still continue to go to games, even though it's really hard to watch.
Been a member every year since 1994.
Sat through the Dark Years under Den Den when things were even worse coz we couldn't even afford footys for the players to train with, had dilapidated facilities etc.
I can do this again, but sure as hell hope we get our sh*t together right this time with the rebuild, both on and off the field.