Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Pre Game posturing: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 16167 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 13: Pre Game posturing: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #60
Yep, it will be interesting. I'm hoping Buckley comes on. He'll need to do it at AFL level before the seasons through to win a new contract.

JGM is fair enough. He would want to show a bit still at VFL seniors level b4 the season is out, Korcheck quite possibly also.

Playing VFL reserves, doesn't instill me with great hope.

I see this more as forcing Phillips hand with a load of primary game time, rather than a statement about Korcheck.

Phillips is expected to deliver at VFL level, and we should have that expectation of him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
There is some irony in his selection, I thought his last game was possibly one of his worst this VFL season!

Maybe he is the decoy and McKay will get a game. You know, tell Harry right at the last minute so he doesn't stress about playing his first game. Just a thought?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #62
Maybe he is the decoy and McKay will get a game. You know, tell Harry right at the last minute so he doesn't stress about playing his first game. Just a thought?

That would be devastating to Boekhorst in his current situation, I'm not sure BB is that cruel!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
That would be devastating to Boekhorst in his current situation, I'm not sure BB is that cruel!

Yes, I doubt we'd be changing the side bar injury/illness.

Reply #64
I've changed my mind on Buckley. A year back I'd have him in trouble, but now having seen his work at VFL level, and given Simmo has only a season or two left. I reckon Buckley could get himself setup as Simmo's natural replacement.

JGM gets some slack from me, prior to getting his jaw broken he was also looking quite good at VFL level.

As much as I love his efforts, I cannot see Galluci getting past Le Bois, Pickett or SPS.

Korcheck has stalled somewhat, but that does happen with International Rookies, they seem to go through a transition period in their 2nd or 3rd season.

I think Sumner, Gorringe and Jaksch are in a lot of trouble. They've moved clubs and basically found themselves in the same position at a venue with a weaker list than the one they left!

Sumner is just unlucky with his body. It's not holding up to the rigors and it has him in trouble. Probably be ok with a good run, especially if he were to actually get a pre-season in. Jaksch is unlucky for the fact he's playing good football in the VFL but not getting selected. The fact we won't play him despite his form, plus the fact we have McKay, Kerr, a strong defence, he might well be down the pecking order, meaning he is in trouble. He may go ok at a 3rd club. Gorringe, another well down the order, behind Kreuzer and Phillips. given we only pick one first ruck he's unlucky to see action outside of real injury bad luck to our rucks (which did happen last year), hence he's in trouble too.

Reply #65
That of - Sumner, Armfield, White, Gallucci (rookie), Korcheck (rookie). Possibly Glass-McCasker (rookie) also.

Hey, i remember that bloke.

Reply #66
We are, obviously, playing at night this week.

Just heard a stat that we have LOST our last 20 night matches!  :-[

Reply #67
Yep, it will be interesting. I'm hoping Buckley comes on. He'll need to do it at AFL level before the seasons through to win a new contract.

JGM is fair enough. He would want to show a bit still at VFL seniors level b4 the season is out, Korcheck quite possibly also.

Playing VFL reserves, doesn't instill me with great hope.
I reckon if the romance associated with Dylan being Carlton great Jimmy's boy didnt exist, I don't think many would be cutting Dylan as much slack.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #68
I reckon if the romance associated with Dylan being Carlton great Jimmy's boy didnt exist, I don't think many would be cutting Dylan as much slack.

I agree unfortunately, but... I still hope that there is something there that Bolts can work with, but time is running out for him
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #69

Whilst he's a better prospect than Dylan, I reckon you could say similar about Jack Silvagni.

As blue4life stated elsewhere, we were more or less forced to recruit him. If his name was Jack Smith, would we have shown an interest ?

I know he's young, I know he's still learning the caper, I know he busts his gut, but his skills, lack of pace and goal kicking worry me a little.

Reply #70
Whilst he's a better prospect than Dylan, I reckon you could say similar about Jack Silvagni.

As blue4life stated elsewhere, we were more or less forced to recruit him. If his name was Jack Smith, would we have shown an interest ?

I know he's young, I know he's still learning the caper, I know he busts his gut, but his skills, lack of pace and goal kicking worry me a little.

Geez... I am a big wrap for young SOS, still very young (a week older than H) and had fantastic form in the 2s for a 1st year player to earn the spot. Kicks a goal each week, lays a few tackles and takes 3-4 marks.. I think he will be a good one. I also expect he will put on another 5-6 kg over the next couple of seasons as well.

I know I went early on him, but I reckon he is rated highly and a fair reason why we will pay  more for Ben.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #71
Geez... I am a big wrap for young SOS, still very young (a week older than H) and had fantastic form in the 2s for a 1st year player to earn the spot. Kicks a goal each week, lays a few tackles and takes 3-4 marks.. I think he will be a good one. I also expect he will put on another 5-6 kg over the next couple of seasons as well.

I know I went early on him, but I reckon he is rated highly and a fair reason why we will pay  more for Ben.

Unless SOS had his lupara pointed at a few other recruiters, there's probably a reason why he went pick 53.

Yes, I know such a view will win me no friends around here. I know he's a fave of many. I'm just calling it as I see it. He could become anything (good or bad), but at this point, I see him as an honest toiler.

Reply #72
Unless SOS had his lupara pointed at a few other recruiters, there's probably a reason why he went pick 53.

Yes, I know such a view will win me no friends around here. I know he's a fave of many. I'm just calling it as I see it. He could become anything (good or bad), but at this point, I see him as an honest toiler.
lupara lol
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #73
I think he went 53 because of exposed form. I think if he took the traditional route he would have gone higher.
You are of course entitled to a view, but I tend to think if he was freely available and not a Silvagni now, clubs would be keen to get hold of him.

Now I know Josh K was a different sort of player, when drafted he was 4 cm taller (now 5) and 4 kg heavier than Jack, but below are some comparisons of JK after 2 full seasons and Jack now after 1.5 seasons.

I am not drawing too much conclusion, other than to say his stats are decent for a 2nd year forward.

Anyway mate, each to their own and you are obviously more than entitled to have doubts on players (I have doubts on a few myself  :P), I am sure we are both hoping in this instance you are wrong.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #74
My nerd alarm just went off again.  ;D

I hope all players that wear the navy blue turn out to be superstars. It is a hope, however, that is rarely realized.

Whatever their stats may say, I reckon JK and Jack are miles apart.