Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 9291 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #120
Yet we continue recycling the same rubbish as though it's a reward for no effort or effect in games that clearly warranted their demotion in the first place ... or the second .. or the third.

I guess I'm in a dirty mood and as I'll NEVER give up on Carlton, I expect more after 25 years stuck in the mud and 60 in support, I reckon I'm entitled to think as I do.        

Reply #121
No argument from me. Problem is, no accountability. There are no consequences for lame efforts.

They need dropping its that simple, same with McGovern....Moore might have less talent but is more of an effort player and I'd give him a crack and drop the Guv. Stocker, Kennedy, Jack and even Obrien back in, prefer a team of effort players than pretenders who pick and choose when its time to get a kick or make a tackle.
The other player who might need a spell is Plowman, has become a liability and one on ones with him and anyone of talent worry me...

Reply #122
Yet we continue recycling the same rubbish as though it's a reward for no effort or effect in games that clearly warranted their demotion in the first place ... or the second .. or the third.
That's a very big part of our problem.  It's harder to be left out of the side than it is to get in. 

Is it because the selectors have no option?  Are they faced with a further group of players who will never make it in the firsts?  If so, what an indictment on our selectors .

Harry is a perfect example of our problem.  He has all the physical attributes to succeed and when recruited great things were held for his future.  He has been around long enough and is old enough to have a successful future, yet time and again all I see is a player who is thick between the ears and getting games when instead he needs a kick up the proverbial.

The same attitude is held by Cunningham, and others - whether you do well or not, you'll be selected next week.

This attitude seems to

I guess I'm in a dirty mood and as I'll NEVER give up on Carlton, I expect more after 25 years stuck in the mud and 60 in support, I think I'm entitled to think as I do.        

Reply #123
Sorry.  I'm not sure how my reply got caught up in the quote

Reply #124
They need dropping its that simple, same with McGovern....Moore might have less talent but is more of an effort player and I'd give him a crack and drop the Guv. Stocker, Kennedy, Jack and even Obrien back in, prefer a team of effort players than pretenders who pick and choose when its time to get a kick or make a tackle.
The other player who might need a spell is Plowman, has become a liability and one on ones with him and anyone of talent worry me...
Again, you and I are on the same page. Plowman has struggled because oppo have worked out he s h i t s himself when he is isolated, they go all out to isolate and play through this man. As stated earlier, Teague wont drop the ones that need a spell, he prefers instead to back them in. The result of this is the inconsistency we see week in week out.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #125
I'm not overly fussed by the result, Ratten is a good coach very poorly treated by our club, he has introduced a very new game style to the Aints that opposition coaches have yet to be exposed to, and so it is yet to be deconstructed.

By the same token, it was disappointing that we couldn't play our game our way, we were reactive all night.

I have to question the validity of the three talls, we looked better with McKay out, the KPFs looked better organised perhaps because they were less hesitant and not getting in each others way! But our KPFs didn't really make much difference, we were smashed in the middle and in our own D50. It doesn't matter how good your defenders are, when the ball enters and re-enters with such freedom and frequency any defender will struggle.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126
I'm not overly fussed by the result, Ratten is a good coach very poorly treated by our club, he has introduced a very new game style to the Aints that opposition coaches have yet to be exposed to, and so it is yet to be deconstructed.

By the same token, it was disappointing that we couldn't play our game our way, we were reactive all night.

I have to question the validity of the three talls, we looked better with McKay out, the KPFs looked better organised perhaps because they were less hesitant and not getting in each others way! But our KPFs didn't really make much difference, we were smashed in the middle and in our own D50. It doesn't matter how good your defenders are, when the ball enters and re-enters with such freedom and frequency any defender will struggle.

To my eyes, the Saints play similar to how we did under Ratten.

Re the three talls, I'm not sure why we can't get it to work - the Lions had McInerney (204cm), Hipwood (203), and Mc Stay (195), and they work well together.

Reply #127

Re the three talls, I'm not sure why we can't get it to work - the Lions had McInerney (204cm), Hipwood (203), and Mc Stay (195), and they work well together.
Commit to quick movement of the ball sets the talls up, as we did against Geelong. How good was that for our talls. Also amazing when you do move the ball quickly the skills suddenly look much better. Don't switch on, don't work, the ball will never get in the 50 properly for the talls. We have to be committed to the task each week, not pick and choose when to switch on.

Reply #128

Ports  achillies heel is no tall defenders, Brisbane had a massive height advantage down forward, makes it strange they gave away the 199cm Howard to Stkilda.

Reply #129
Ports  achillies heel is no tall defenders, Brisbane had a massive height advantage down forward, makes it strange they gave away the 199cm Howard to Stkilda.

Yes, that's true. They showed a graphic on The Round So Far that highlighted precisely this point. But I'm not sure that's the main reason their forward line functions so well. They just seem more coherent, more cognisant of one's another's patterns and movements, of the defenders' patterns and movements etc., than our boys.