Skip to main content
Topic: Key Players 2014 (Read 7287 times) previous topic - next topic

Key Players 2014

Who is the player who needs a good year for us to be any good?

For me, Murphy. We can talk about Gibbs or special K coming good or more from lesser lights but class wins you flags and if this guy doesn't tear it apart I expect a season similar to the one just past.

Re: Key Players 2014

Reply #1
Henderson is a given. My early smoky for our best and fairest award...could be his year. Hopefully with a more settled line up next year he can stay forward. Great contested mark and reliable kick for goal. It's an understatement to say that we've lacked that for a very long time. 

Although, Jamison needs to stay injury-free for this to happen, or Watson urgently needs to step up. Jamo staying on the park is a bit of a pipe-dream...Watson needs to take his chance. Simple as that. Waite has never learned to keep his temper under control so we can rule him out for a few games..add to that being injury-prone too.

Reply #2
Henderson is a given. My early smoky for our best and fairest award...could be his year. Hopefully with a more settled line up next year he can stay forward. Great contested mark and reliable kick for goal. It's an understatement to say that we've lacked that for a very long time. 

Although, Jamison needs to stay injury-free for this to happen, or Watson urgently needs to step up. Jamo staying on the park is a bit of a pipe-dream...Watson needs to take his chance. Simple as that. Waite has never learned to keep his temper under control so we can rule him out for a few games..add to that being injury-prone too.

Watson stepping up in 2014 would be a massive massive step forward for CFC.... fingers crossed.

If he could legitimately hold down CHB with chop outs from BOS, 2E and Scoto..... and Hendo flourishes at CHF, top 4 is a shake....IF....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #3
I think we have a thread on this but I would be thinking Henderson, Andrejs, Murphy, and Menzel could produce the goods we need this next season. Yarran and Garlett having form each and every game will kill other sides, but that is just asking too much with all the players above.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #4
There is a lot of players that we are waiting for to step it up. In fact very few have nowhere to go except for Henderson who was the one I thought who played well every week and might not have much to improve on.

Get excited people.  Not all of them will improve but we can except more to get better than we can go backwards.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
Like others have said....Unless we pick up another ready made KP back like Tippet or Beard then Watson needs to step up and deliver down back so Henderson can play forward and give us an edge.....

Murphy also needs to break the cycle of tagging.....

Reply #7
Yarran. IF he can become the player we all hope and know he can be, I reckon top 4 is realistic. I think he's most damaging off a HBF or wing where he can break the lines and push fwd to kick goals. He needs to be involved in the play as much as possible and play with intensity. Can he do it???

Reply #8
For mine it's the bottom six to eight... get across the board improvement from the Casboults, Rowes, Watsons, Lucus', Bootsmas, Bells, Cachias and Whites ... with the arrival of the Buckleys, Grahams, Menzels, Dochertys and whoever we draft. This lot will, in many respects, determine how well we do in 2014.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
I would think that newbies should provide some improvements for us and compete with 3-5 of the top 22 of last year, forcing them into the NBs (replacing now delisted players there  like Davies, AJ, etc.).

Together with improvements from established senior players, further development of people like Casboult and Rowe, and better execution of the game plan all around we should be more competitive.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
Like others have said....Unless we pick up another ready made KP back like Tippet or Beard then Watson needs to step up and deliver down back so Henderson can play forward and give us an edge.....

Murphy also needs to break the cycle of tagging.....

They are going to find it hard to tag Judd, Murphy and Thomas. Agree on your Tippett and Beard Theory. They may help Jamo and Andrejs pressure Watson to step up or miss a place in the squad. He needs to back his ability and play with more force and passion. He isn't a little twig and needs to use his body.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #11
For mine it's the bottom six to eight... get across the board improvement from the Casboults, Rowes, Watsons, Lucus', Bootsmas, Bells, Cachias and Whites ... with the arrival of the Buckleys, Grahams, Menzels, Dochertys and whoever we draft. This lot will, in many respects, determine how well we do in 2014.

Sorry Baggers but you've slipped in to footy speak; we only have one of each of the players you've mentioned.

You're right about the bottom 6-8 improving though.  If we can achieve that, it will take so much pressure off the top 6-8 and make it so much harder for the opposition to keep our guns quiet.

Thomas, if fit, means that one of Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, McLean or Thomas himself will have the freedom to tear the opposition a new arsehole.

Rowe and/or Casboult stepping up gives us a genuine tall forward but the key to our success is Watson.  If he can hold down CHB, the ability to use Henderson as a key forward or swingman will give other coaches nightmares.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12

Sorry Baggers but you've slipped in to footy speak; we only have one of each of the players you've mentioned.

You're right about the bottom 6-8 improving though.  If we can achieve that, it will take so much pressure off the top 6-8 and make it so much harder for the opposition to keep our guns quiet.

Thomas, if fit, means that one of Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, McLean or Thomas himself will have the freedom to tear the opposition a new arsehole.

Rowe and/or Casboult stepping up gives us a genuine tall forward but the key to our success is Watson.  If he can hold down CHB, the ability to use Henderson as a key forward or swingman will give other coaches nightmares.

Yes DJC and with Everitt there Watson will have good backup so he may well be one of the big improves, I overlooked him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #13

:)) :)) :)) ... gotta love those Gary Ayresisms! (which I mentioned in a previous post after having committed the same footy speak crime).  :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
I reckon our 2014 performance will be largely dictated by how well our top 6-8 guys produce out on the park. These are the guys that need to produce for us to win tight games.

Murph, Gibbs, Kreuzer - all had pretty ordinary 2013s. Each of these guys should be match winners/game changers in their own right......

Carrots - was seldom out there (is he still top 8?)

Juddy - needs to be released, play more HFF?

Thomas - well, first time in a navy blue jumper. We know what he can do and AT 26 with effectively a year off to rest the body.....bring it on Daisy.

Simmo - had a blinder overall.

Yazz, Garlett - the former needs to really step it up, the latter be more consistent.

1AW - playing very solid, consistent footy - should get more of the same.

Jamo/Hendo - Jamo can do much better imo (disposal/skill wise was poor at times in 2013). Hendo will keep getting better.....

Honourable mentions - Waite & Warnock.
Finals, then 4 in a row!