Skip to main content
Topic: Leadership Group 2018 (Read 34110 times) previous topic - next topic

Leadership Group 2018

So already two of last seasons leaders have left the club (Gibbs and Armfield) opening up a couple of spots. Who are people hoping to see form our leadership group of 2018? Members of the 2017 group who are still on the list are: Murph, Simmo, Crippa, Doc and Ed.

Will Murph retain the Captaincy? Who will be his deputies?

Personally, i’d like to see Murphy keep the Captaincy for one more season before handing over to Doc. But given Doc’s injuriy and Simmo’s age, I would like to see Crippa and Ed be VC’s this season.

As for elevations, I reckon Matty Wright and maybe one of the young blokes like Weiters would be good inclusions.

Re: Leadership Group 2018

Reply #1
Murphy captain if he still wants it...  ?  he's just had a baby so maybe time to step back ala Judd at the end of his career ?

If Not Murphy - Ed Curnow capatain for a year or 2 ...  then Doc and Cripps next in line. 2019-20.

Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #2
I reckon Murphy will go around again as skipper.  There was some discussion of transitioning or succession planning in one of the recent videos on the club website.  I expect that a focus for Murphy this year will be preparing his successor.  I wouldn't be surprised if the club follows the AFLW team's lead and appoints Murphy vice-captain in 2019, but a lot of water has to flow under the bridge before then.

I think that the two compulsory changes will be it, unless Simpson wants to step down.  Docherty should keep his spot even though he won't be on the park.

I wonder if Kreuzer will step up; he seems to exert a bit of influence, in his quiet manner.  If not, Wright may be a chance as he appears to be a natural leader on the field.

I think one of the younger players will be given an opportunity and Weitering seems likely.  However, I wouldn't rule out Plowman.

As for vice-captain, I'd give it to Ed Curnow.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Its the wrong time for Murph to pass on the batten as there is no clear candidate.

If there was one, it probably would've been Doc...but that serves no point this season. So, again, no clear candidate.

Reply #4
Murph as capt. again for this year I think too. Would not be surprised to see Cripps playing a strong on field leadership role this year as a part of his development as DOC won't be there.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
From the outside in, it looks like Murphy will probably be captain, but... with Doc out.. It might be worth considering someone like Curnow. The thing about Murphy is he appears to be a decent captain and he speaks well, but he might be just a touch too much of a nice guy. I don't know this for sure, but you want a captain that takes full authority in my view.

If Murphy was a superb captain, I would suggest it is crazy too change captains... but as he is an 'okay' one, I don't think we risk a lot by taking the captaincy and giving it to someone else.

As I said, I think they will go Murphy, but I really would not mind a look at an alternative, not 'just for changes sake', but to see if there is someone really ready to step in
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #6
With Docherty's unavailability then Murphy should go around again...if he wants it... and doesn't think it might be time for a break and change himself.

Reply #7
Carlton approach is to go with marquee player's as the captain.....I'd be real surprised if they went with a Joe average profile player like Curnow.
I dont have a problem with Curnow being captain and reckon he would do a good job but it would be a change in direction and marketing style IMO for it to happen.
Cripps and Murphy are the players whose images are used most often in advertising and I would have Cripps as favourite for next captain...

Reply #8
From the outside in, it looks like Murphy will probably be captain, but... with Doc out.. It might be worth considering someone like Curnow. The thing about Murphy is he appears to be a decent captain and he speaks well, but he might be just a touch too much of a nice guy. I don't know this for sure, but you want a captain that takes full authority in my view.

If Murphy was a superb captain, I would suggest it is crazy too change captains... but as he is an 'okay' one, I don't think we risk a lot by taking the captaincy and giving it to someone else.

As I said, I think they will go Murphy, but I really would not mind a look at an alternative, not 'just for changes sake', but to see if there is someone really ready to step in

The playing group and Bolton's coaching panel have determined that Murphy is our best option for captain two years in a row and I think that will be the case again.

I think that our leadership program has improved our leadership depth and the leadership of Cripps, Curnow, Simpson, Docherty and Murphy but I'm not sure that the Murphy has been overtaken by any of the others ... yet!

From the snippets we get from 'the Journey' and comments here and there, I believe that Bolton has taken a very different approach to leadership and the captaincy, but he is also a traditionalist.  I can't see co-captains happening but I think Bolton won't hesitate to change skippers if someone puts their hand up.  We may be surprised when that hand appears.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Carlton approach is to go with marquee player's as the captain.....I'd be real surprised if they went with a Joe average profile player like Curnow.
I dont have a problem with Curnow being captain and reckon he would do a good job but it would be a change in direction and marketing style IMO for it to happen.
Cripps and Murphy are the players whose images are used most often in advertising and I would have Cripps as favourite for next captain...

Sadly that’s probably true, and that’s not a criticism of any player.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #10
players vote the capt don’t they?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12

I don't think that's right EB.  The captain, vice-captain(s) and leadership group are determined by the players' vote and the coaches' vote and I don't think marquee status comes into it.

As I said in an earlier post, I think that our next captain may be a bit of a surprise but it won't be this season.

Reply #13
I don't think that's right EB.  The captain, vice-captain(s) and leadership group are determined by the players' vote and the coaches' vote and I don't think marquee status comes into it.

As I said in an earlier post, I think that our next captain may be a bit of a surprise but it won't be this season.
thats how I read it
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #14

I'll agree to disagree DJ.....IMO the next captain will be out of our two best players which are Docherty and Cripps, along with Murphy they are the two most marketed players and
who the club hierarchy would want as skipper....IMO.

From Big Nick, Jezza, through to Fitzpatrick, Sticks, Kouta, Judd its been a big name player who gets the job for any decent period of time.......

Even at Hawthorn where Bolton learned his trade it was Mitchell briefly before handing over to another big name in Hodge, Richie Vandenberg filled in for 2-3 years when another star in Crawford retired but he was clearly a fill in and handpicked by Clarkson. I'd be very surprised if Bolton doesnt have a large say in who gets the job...
I just cant see us with a Nick Maxwell, Tom Harley..a Mr Average player type who is a factional/club neutral player with some media nous...
If we did go that way it would be a short term appointment only IMO until one of the more prominent players was ready....