Skip to main content
Topic: Leadership Group 2018 (Read 34327 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Leadership Group 2018

Reply #120
Nobody can ever justify the recruitment of Daisy and the money he has been paid. It has been an atrocious recruitment from the club, one of the very worst ever. That isn't saying Daisy doesn't try, it isn't saying that he isn't a role model, it isn't addressing any of those things. It is a simple fact that if one of your top 2-3 paid players isn't in the 10 most effective  players at your club, you have made a horrible mistake. That top coin is meant to be for superstars, plain and simple. They should have the qualities Daisy is said to have AND be great footballers. Remember he was paid Dangerfield like cash.

If we wanted just good blokes we would have implored Armfield to keep going, by all reports he is a ripper of a bloke and bust his nut to help others.

Whilst it is great for someone to be a mentor or good bloke, it isn't enough for a highly paid player
Harsh. I could name at least 10 that were 10 times worse IMO, but lets not go over all ground and railroad another thread. This is about leadership and from all reports within the club, Daisy provides it spades even if he isnt officially part of the leadership group. When Bolts came along, he talked about developing leadership density. I think this is progressing nicely and is reflected in A. the size of the group and the eventual passing of the baton to the younger blokes and B. SOS's recruitment of players with leadership qualities as well as football nous.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #121
With you MIO, quite frankly the only reason he remains on the list imo is because of the dollars wasted by the Club in recruiting him....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #122
With you MIO, quite frankly the only reason he remains on the list imo is because of the dollars wasted by the Club in recruiting him....
I'm confused (not hard to do). Didn't his contract expire last year and he was given an 1yr extension? They could have given him the flick last year correct? If your assessment is correct, given how ruthless SOS with list management, he would not have been there this year IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #123
I'm confused (not hard to do). Didn't his contract expire last year and he was given an 1yr extension? They could have given him the flick last year correct? If your assessment is correct, given how ruthless SOS with list management, he would not have been there this year IMO.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dale-thomas-has-done-enough-to-play-on-says-marc-murphy-20170823-gy2uny.html

An old story, but the clause that guaranteed him a 5th season (2018) was dropped by Daisy, so he earned an extra season on merit.

Having seen plenty of Bolton's pressers and other interviews etc., there's little doubt in my mind that Bolts likes Daisy and likes having him around.

Reply #124
Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt wouldnt be my idea of a great leadership group but thats a premiership leadership group.....Cotchin became a sniper and the other two are bozo's IMO.
Maybe great leadership in football is overrated.....or maybe as in Hawthorns case with Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Burgoyne etc its more valuable for a long cycle of success but not so important for a one off premiership. ie Richmond, Bulldogs...

Reply #125
Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt wouldnt be my idea of a great leadership group but thats a premiership leadership group.....Cotchin became a sniper and the other two are bozo's IMO.
Maybe great leadership in football is overrated.....or maybe as in Hawthorns case with Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Burgoyne etc its more valuable for a long cycle of success but not so important for a one off premiership. ie Richmond, Bulldogs...

Interesting point EB. Will be interesting to see how tight the Tiggers hang this year.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #126

Daisy on 300k would be a reasonable investment. On the money he was brought in on, I am unsure how anyone can suggest there are 10 players 10 times worse.
Worst footballers? Absolutely... Worse for impact to our list management? Hardly.

It is getting into a Daisy bashing/protecting thread and I have more than contributed to that, so I will stop.

But outside of even Daisy, you don't pay A Grade player dollars for a player just cause they are a good bloke and train well, or any other spiel like that.
If you do.. you lose football games
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #127
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dale-thomas-has-done-enough-to-play-on-says-marc-murphy-20170823-gy2uny.html

An old story, but the clause that guaranteed him a 5th season (2018) was dropped by Daisy, so he earned an extra season on merit.

Having seen plenty of Bolton's pressers and other interviews etc., there's little doubt in my mind that Bolts likes Daisy and likes having him around.

Shhhhh, you risk suffering ostracism for reporting a reality! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
Just read the bold and know this in relation to Daisy.

The point is though, those sorts of qualities are not the sole preserve of highly paid, contentious, injury scarred recruits - you can get players with those sorts of qualities without going down the Daisy road.

Nobody can ever justify the recruitment of Daisy and the money he has been paid. It has been an atrocious recruitment from the club, one of the very worst ever. That isn't saying Daisy doesn't try, it isn't saying that he isn't a role model, it isn't addressing any of those things. It is a simple fact that if one of your top 2-3 paid players isn't in the 10 most effective  players at your club, you have made a horrible mistake. That top coin is meant to be for superstars, plain and simple. They should have the qualities Daisy is said to have AND be great footballers. Remember he was paid Dangerfield like cash.

If we wanted just good blokes we would have implored Armfield to keep going, by all reports he is a ripper of a bloke and bust his nut to help others.

Whilst it is great for someone to be a mentor or good bloke, it isn't enough for a highly paid player

Again, all the criticisms of Daisy have come down to his pay packet. That is NOT his problem. It has become a huge problem for him for the extra pressure it has led him to receive.

The only mentions of Daisy on this thread that do NOT involve his pay packet are overwhelmingly positive...
While Daisy is the topic of discussion, I thought I would throw this in here, a snippet from a training report (source BF) from earlier this week, while over in Tassie....

So to the highlights/lowlights
OK I'm just gonna get it out of the way....3 votes D Thomas...the only caveat being it is a big ground and no stands to get an elevated view so if I missed an on baller running rampant I humbly apologise but don't think I did.
- When the game started it was the Best 22 vs the rest and it was also clear that some players went back to just bombing the ball fwd to a pack rather than the drill they'd just done...I can see why Bolts picks Daisy, for all his limitations, he's smart - he moved into the space he was supposed to be in, he weighed his options, presented as a hit up HFF and did 2 kicks, whilst not blind they were long centred ones over the traffic from one HFF to the other (and there is no way he had time to see that option in congestion) to where the fwds and mids were were supposed to be streaming into...and guess what they were and got easy goals...does it translate to match day - I dunno but he's playing/training the way Bolton is drilling.

Harsh. I could name at least 10 that were 10 times worse IMO, but lets not go over all ground and railroad another thread. This is about leadership and from all reports within the club, Daisy provides it spades even if he isnt officially part of the leadership group. When Bolts came along, he talked about developing leadership density. I think this is progressing nicely and is reflected in A. the size of the group and the eventual passing of the baton to the younger blokes and B. SOS's recruitment of players with leadership qualities as well as football nous.

So i've been pretty pro-daisy according to most.
This is because, as highlighted above, i judge him based on what he does and what he brings. I don't judge him on how much he is being played.

Again, if you have an issue with his pay packet, blame the ones who paid him the money.

Just as it doesn't matter what position you get drafted, once you are on the list, its what you offer the club that matters. Take his pay packet up with the club, and let his footy and leadership do the talking.

Reply #129
The club bent over far too easily in their rush to get new messiahs. Daisy was coming off a 5 game season in 2013. He had surgery in November 2012, then again in May 2013, then returns to the VFL and injures the ankle again in Aug 2013. The club ignored the medical advice of it own doctor, who said no to Daisy.........

With the benefit of hindsight, it beggars belief the club spent more than 30 seconds even thinking about his recruitment.

And no, Daisy hasn't done anything wrong per se, but he is the main character in a lousy tale of woe, so he will be forever associated with the whole debacle.

I didn't dislike Daisy as a Pie, and I don't dislike him as a Blue, but his recruitment was still a lame ar$se decision.

Oh well - one can only hope the club has learned its lesson.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-19/doc-doubting-thomas

Reply #130
The club bent over far too easily in their rush to get new messiahs. Daisy was coming off a 5 game season in 2013. He had surgery in November 2012, then again in May 2013, then returns to the VFL and injures the ankle again in Aug 2013. The club ignored the medical advice of it own doctor, who said no to Daisy.........

With the benefit of hindsight, it beggars belief the club spent more than 30 seconds even thinking about his recruitment.

And no, Daisy hasn't done anything wrong per se, but he is the main character in a lousy tale of woe, so he will be forever associated with the whole debacle.

I didn't dislike Daisy as a Pie, and I don't dislike him as a Blue, but his recruitment was still a lame ar$se decision.

Oh well - one can only hope the club has learned its lesson.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-19/doc-doubting-thomas

Again, your beef is with the club. Take it out on them.

Blame SOS for signing daisy up for another year if you want.

Reply #131
Again, your beef is with the club. Take it out on them.

Blame SOS for signing daisy up for another year if you want.

My beef has always been with the club, especially regarding the 2012-2015 era, as you of all people would know.

Reply #132

Again, all the criticisms of Daisy have come down to his pay packet. That is NOT his problem. It has become a huge problem for him for the extra pressure it has led him to receive.

The only mentions of Daisy on this thread that do NOT involve his pay packet are overwhelmingly positive...

Yeap, if Daisy had been on nothing over these years he would be talked about in a similar tone to Armfield, perhaps a little better.
But his salary was a HUGE problem for the club and when he signed on to it, he signed on as a marquee player.

Sure he can take his cash and pocket it and I don't begrudge him the 'right' to that.
But then supporters have a right to ask whether his impact is commensurate with his impact on our Salary Cap and our ability to spent that money on a an actual top player.

If Daisy had been on a standard salary the expectations would be different, there is no denying that, but he hasn't been.

You can turn as much of a blind eye and say it isn't his fault and all that and in fact that is fine...
BUT... AGAIN.... He has taken one of the top marquee spots at the club and he has not performed anywhere near a marquee player.

BTW I was quick to praise him myself when he asked the club to drop the clause and I had no issue when they resigned him on a salary that better reflected his worth to the team, but was his recruitment a success or a failure? It is absolutely 100% clear it was a failure, he hasn't done what he was paid to do.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #133
Yeap, if Daisy had been on nothing over these years he would be talked about in a similar tone to Armfield, perhaps a little better.
But his salary was a HUGE problem for the club and when he signed on to it, he signed on as a marquee player.

Sure he can take his cash and pocket it and I don't begrudge him the 'right' to that.
But then supporters have a right to ask whether his impact is commensurate with his impact on our Salary Cap and our ability to spent that money on a an actual top player.

If Daisy had been on a standard salary the expectations would be different, there is no denying that, but he hasn't been.

You can turn as much of a blind eye and say it isn't his fault and all that and in fact that is fine...
BUT... AGAIN.... He has taken one of the top marquee spots at the club and he has not performed anywhere near a marquee player.

BTW I was quick to praise him myself when he asked the club to drop the clause and I had no issue when they resigned him on a salary that better reflected his worth to the team, but was his recruitment a success or a failure? It is absolutely 100% clear it was a failure, he hasn't done what he was paid to do.

He hasn't 'taken' one of the marquee spots, it was given to him.

Don't get me wrong. The club is to blame and i doubt they'd do it again. However, daisy has given everything and done everything he possibly could. Whether that is good enough for a spot on the list, a starting 22, his salary or whatever is up for debate, but he has never died wondering. You cannot fault his preparation and dedication to the club.

Too many players are content with plodding along and counting the cash.
Daisy could have easily been one of them, but refused to. Kudos to him for that.

Reply #134
Kudos for taking crazy money and delivering diddly...

Yeah, right.  :-X :-X
Finals, then 4 in a row!