Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 21974 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd : Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #165
Gibbons was around 5th or 6th in the league at around 16km for rnd 5. Walshy is no 2 in the league being Whitfield for distance covered.

Gibbons has been played out of position and does his best work up the ground getting the ball/linking up and then floating back down forward...thats how he won two Listons.
This pressure forward role is just a waste of his ability and anyone who watched him play at Willy will know he can run all day..

Reply #166
Gibbons has been played out of position and does his best work up the ground getting the ball/linking up and then floating back down forward...thats how he won two Listons.
This pressure forward role is just a waste of his ability and anyone who watched him play at Willy will know he can run all day..

I think Gibbons has been playing the same role all season. He just played slightly more in the middle on Sunday but essentially he's our starting small forward that helps out in the middle.

Reply #167
I think Gibbons has been playing the same role all season. He just played slightly more in the middle on Sunday but essentially he's our starting small forward that helps out in the middle.

Yes, but that's entirely missing EB's (valid) point jeza!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #168

I agree. He spends a lot of time in the midfield, as do most small forwards now, and his midfield contribution has ramped up with each game.

I think it's crazy to suggest that he has been played out of position.  While I am pleasantly surprised with his recent performances, he took a couple of games to adjust to AFL tempo and it would have been a disaster to throw him in at the midfield deep end.  It's just another example of how the club is taking a long term approach and Gibbons will benefit from that.

I know it may not be the most reliable indicator but consider his disposal stats; 11, 16, 4 (against a very good midfield), 16, 21.  If his development continues, he will be an important cog in our midfield for years to come.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #169
I agree. He spends a lot of time in the midfield, as do most small forwards now, and his midfield contribution has ramped up with each game.

I think it's crazy to suggest that he has been played out of position.  While I am pleasantly surprised with his recent performances, he took a couple of games to adjust to AFL tempo and it would have been a disaster to throw him in at the midfield deep end.  It's just another example of how the club is taking a long term approach and Gibbons will benefit from that.

I know it may not be the most reliable indicator but consider his disposal stats; 11, 16, 4 (against a very good midfield), 16, 21.  If his development continues, he will be an important cog in our midfield for years to come.

Spot on.

Reply #170
I have no doubts that Gibbo is a natural midfielder who can also go forward and kick goals. But, to have put him in the heat from the get-go would have been unfair and unrealistic (Walshs are a rare breed re straight into the heat and straight into high achieving... as Bruce might say ...'he's very special.'). Easing him into the midfield seemed logical and practical, but it's definitely where he belongs and will only get better probably gradually taking over from Murphy.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #171
Love Gibbo's ability to kick on his left pretty much as well as his right. Only bettered by Samo.

Reply #172
Love Gibbo's ability to kick on his left pretty much as well as his right. Only bettered by Samo.

Good call, kicked a few left foot goals for Willy too over the years, pity he cant kick a bit further with either foot, Kane Lambert has mentored him a bit and
he plays his footy in a similar way. Nothing too pretty but was very effective everytime he touched it at VFL level just like Lambert he needs to make every possie count.
Like Lambert he is also a good tap/knock on of the footy to team mates advantage and needs to do more of that at senior level.