Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton 2024 Predictions / Expectations (Read 31426 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton 2024 Predictions / Expectations

Reply #15
I think that Ralph’s article is pretty close to the mark; on paper, at least, we are a genuine contender.

Earlier in the year, I thought that list deficiencies would hold us back.  The sustained return to fitness of Walsh, Martin, McGovern, Cuningham and Marchbank, the emergence of Kemp, Motlop, Cottrell and Boyd as genuine AFL-level footballers, Cerra and De Koning stepping up a level, Acres showing his true potential (and luck), and Cincotta, Cowan and Hollands making impressive debuts, with Binns not far off, has changed my mind; Vossy has got the cattle he needs.

Moving on players who weren’t quite good enough - Philp, Fisher, Dow, Honey and O’Brien - and those whose best footy is behind them - Ed and Plow - strengthens our list; provided Nick Austin nails the replacements.

Despite some supporters expressing concerns about how we’d go if Cripps, Walsh or Weitering was injured, we have adequate replacements and the players who can step up in their absence.  Even if Mirkov, O’Keeffe and Lemmey aren’t up to AFL standard yet, we do have options in the event of our rucks or KPPs missing through injury or suspension.

If we are fortunate on the injury front, our youngsters continue to develop, Austin’s list management decisions continue to pay off, the tweaks to the gameplan work. and we have a bit of luck, we’re definitely in with a chance.

Now, if one or both of the Irish boys becomes the next Zach Tuohy …

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
My view is that we will win the Premiership unless we don't. Carlton has a recent past history of smugness and self satisfaction and accepting mediocrity as to our start to last season demonstrated. I think we have all the pieces but it is what goes on inside the minds of the players, the coaches and the administration that will determine our success. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and let's just enjoy the journey.
But it would be good.

Reply #17
Jon Ralph has about as much credibility as a tea leaf reader
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #18
Well, I had us making a prelim based on early season form this year. We dropped off the perch then came back from the dead. If we can just play reasonably consistent football, then we can go three wins or better improvement than this year. That should ensure a top 4 position.

Reply #19
A full year with Walsh in the side will do absolute wonders for us. Will do so for a bashed up Cripps as well. Add Cerra and rotations from Hewett, Kennedy, Fogarty, Cuningham, E. Hollands and/or even Carroll, you can't stop them all.
How will Williams go next year? How much can he improve us if he gets back to full fitness? Lots of depth on the HB line. Lots of depth there.
TDK looks ready to step up another notch again. Pittonet or Silvagni will be there with him. O'Keeffe at least another year away, but we have ruck options.
Some fresh faces introduced in Kemp and Motlop, Binns could play lots of games. Who else could there be?
Acres came in as an experienced player and did his deed. Can Fantasia do the same? Hopefully he can, he is an experienced player in that area of the ground, where we only really have Martin, though he is a more general forward.
Can Young come back in to cement his spot? He's an option at least if Weitering misses games. Kemp, McGovern, Marchbank and to an extent, Cincotta for aerial intercepts, the first three, though not necessarily desirable but if need be, as a second key tall partner option.
The biggest need next year if we're to go all the way, is our two key forwards to stay fit. Not much else there. What can we do if one or jeepers, both go down? That could royally screw us next year. Options would be to swing McGovern down there, would definitely prefer him over Kemp, let Kemp settle into his role and the level first. JSOS as an smaller size key forward. de Koning can still improve his craft as well, he showed he can kick them as an emergency resting second key forward against Melbourne.
If Martin and Fantasia can stay fit, along with the two key talls, Motlop continues to improve, there's five dangerous forwards. This is where the difference to reaching a flag could rest at.
This year was a wonderful ride, makes up for last year and more than that. Now is the time to at least repeat it and with an optimistic view, go further. Yes, the expectations will be on here. Let's end this long-suffering pain again.

Reply #20
My expectation is that we'll win the whole bloody thing.
Anything less, and I'll be sad  :'(

We have the side that's capable.
We just need it all to click, some natural improvement... and a bit of luck.
The thing about our side is that we have few if any players who are on the downslide.
They're either at their peak or yet to reach it.

Countering that, Newman played out of his skin and is anyone seriously expecting Acres to back up to the same level ? Hollands ?
Can someone else step up and cover ?

Maybe Acres and Hollands won’t get much attention next year, after all league wide, everyone seems to let wingers run free…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #21
Countering that, Newman played out of his skin and is anyone seriously expecting Acres to back up to the same level ? Hollands ?

Maybe Acres and Hollands won’t get much attention next year, after all league wide, everyone seems to let wingers run free…

I reckon they'll all be as good or better.
Young Hollands will be better for the year's experience, plus a first real pre-season.
Older Hollands has to prove himself so if he has any character he should be fine, because he does have ability.

Acres played the last part of the year with half an upper body.
and
Newman will be consistent again.

Reply #22

These players shine, when your team is getting good.  When was the last time a player looked like a spud in a good side?

In terms of backing up, all they have to do is play their role every week, and they will look like a million bucks.

You know what my concern is for my team moving forward?

Egos.  I want to be captain, I want to be best on ground, I want to be the fan favourite, I want to play selfish football and be the star.

Stronger together, and play your role. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
I reckon they'll all be as good or better.
Young Hollands will be better for the year's experience, plus a first real pre-season.
In the greater scheme of things, it's highly unlikely the Hollands or Cowan will escape the 2nd year blues.

If they don't escape the 2nd year blues it's no big deal, it happens to 99.5% of players.

If the do then you need to take note because they are the exceptions and you can count the exceptions on one hand, a player like Walsh being one of them. Others that have escaped it include Judd, Martin and Selwood, which by definition means it's not very common.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24

100%

Happens to every club every year.
Some players get better.
Some players play the same.
Some players play worse.

This can happen for.a variety of reasons, not least of which is injury.

Anyone extrapolating form based on nothing but the best possible output from all 40+ players on the list is destined for disappointment. It's not possible.

Reply #25
In the greater scheme of things, it's highly unlikely the Hollands or Cowan will escape the 2nd year blues.

If they don't escape the 2nd year blues it's no big deal, it happens to 99.5% of players.

If the do then you need to take note because they are the exceptions and you can count the exceptions on one hand, a player like Walsh being one of them. Others that have escaped it include Judd, Martin and Selwood, which by definition means it's not very common.

Yep.  To go with that, the guys that are young and struggled a bit this year are likely to replace them in that equation, so you might see Ollie drop off, only for Elijah/Binns to fill that void, and Durdin to come back in.  Not to mention draftee number 20/28.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26

The "second year blues" is largely a figment of some fans' imaginations.

Weitering didn't quite live up to expectations in his second season because he was played out of position.  Blokes like Acres, Kemp and McKay didn't do so well because they hadn't established a place in the team or were battling injuries.  Others like Cripps, Walsh, Silvagni, Cottrell, both Curnows, Hewett, Kennedy, Gibbs, Murphy, Motlop, Cerra, etc, etc either maintained their form or stepped up a notch.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
The "second year blues" is largely a figment of some fans' imaginations.

Weitering didn't quite live up to expectations in his second season because he was played out of position.  Blokes like Acres, Kemp and McKay didn't do so well because they hadn't established a place in the team or were battling injuries.  Others like Cripps, Walsh, Silvagni, Cottrell, both Curnows, Hewett, Kennedy, Gibbs, Murphy, Motlop, Cerra, etc, etc either maintained their form or stepped up a notch.
2nd year blues is a symptom of being the system long enough for the opposition to build a portfolio of your strengths and weaknesses, it is not related to the stats or the year of draft.

It's about finding ways to continue to influence games when the opposition have learnt how to make you uncomfortable or ineffective, and it's very real. Virtually every players suffers it, because they are facing opponents for a 2nd or 3rd time and the honeymoon is over, they are no longer known unknowns.

A great example, after his breakthrough season opposition started pushing Cripps onto his left side, he still got plenty of footy after all he is almost unstoppable, but his effectiveness diminished. He could barely make contact with his left foot and he started doing blind over the shoulder handballs and the like. Over the next couple of seasons he developed ways to give himself time and space so he could be more effective. Only recently he's started using his left foot, it's still not great but it buys him even more time and space because opponents can no longer just force him that way.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
We are at the stage now where we just aim for the flag. I always felt this year was our 1978 before our 1979. Situation very similar. Next year we are capable of dominating.

Reply #29
Kane Kornes has picked us for the flag.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!