Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Draft 2023 (Read 6872 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW Draft 2023

Yes, I've posted this early, but it is an odd time of your to be thinking drafts and I don't want to miss it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFLW Draft 2023

Reply #1
I was just looking at the Sarah Black's draft "late mail" and she says that we're linked to Lila Keck, the Bendigo Pioneers' skipper.

Lila looks a likely type who played some VFLW games with Essendon before ankle injuries set her back.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
Since we have a father/daughter option, i was looking at how that works.

After reading the following explainer....i will be keen to find an explainer that actually helps explain it!  :o
How does father-daughter bidding work?

Live bidding on father-daughter selections and northern Academy nominees will occur for the first time in the AFLW. Clubs with access to these players (i.e. Brisbane's access to nominees from the Lions Academy) will have to match bids from other clubs within the same round. Should they not have the available picks in that round, the original club that selected that player will be able to draft them.
The 'within the same round' comments don't make sense to me.

Lets say there are 18 picks in each round, one pick per team (an untainted draft).
Lets say you have a father daughter option and have pick 1 and pick 19.
Lets say someone bids on your father/daughter option at pick 18. Based on the above comments. That means that it is the last pick from that round, so you can't match it, even though you have the very next pick as you don't have a pick in the same round.
In fact, since you have 1 and 19, if anyone between pick 2 and pick 18 bids, you can't match it because they are not in the same round.

Surely thats not right.

Otherwise all you'd need is the last pick in every round and you can match any bid.
If you have the first pick in each round, you can't match any bids.

Reply #3
You would think that’s purely poorly explained, surely…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #4
You would think that’s purely poorly explained, surely…

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1072023/sarah-blacks-aflw-draft-late-mail-top-20-who-goes-where
Robertson is likely to head to Carlton as a father-daughter selection, after dad Ben played three games at the Blues in 1992. The prevailing wisdom is a bid from a rival club is likely to come late in the first round, with Carlton to match it with pick 28. Her unusual national nomination means any club can make that bid.

This seems to suggest that its basically with your next pick, which makes more sense.

Reply #5
With pick 7 Carlton have selected....
Lila Keck

Sarah Black suggested that she would be taken pick with our pick and she was
Bit of a spanner in the works at pick 6 as it went 'off script' with Grigg being taken ahead of schedule but we managed to get a decent talent.

Lila Keck
Position: Forward/midfielder
Height: 161cm
State: Victoria, Bendigo Pioneers/Strathfieldsaye
Nomination: Victoria

Keck has been working hard on her forward craft, perhaps correctly anticipating she's much more likely to play there at AFLW level than in the midfield. A very lively player with a natural snap who loves a goal celebration, Keck has captained the Pioneers this year.

Where could she go?

Carlton has been linked to Keck, where her speed and agility would combine beautifully with the tall Moody twins and Keeley Skepper on the opposite flank. The type of player she is means it's unlikely a bottom-four side will opt for Keck, with their priorities lying elsewhere.

Reply #6
It appears that Sarah Black was pretty much on the mark.
Lila Keck and Meg Robertson, just as advertised.
Not disappointed; we need a stronger midfield and a small forward who kicks goals.
Hope defence is not effected by our outs.
Live Long and Prosper!