Skip to main content
Topic: World Cup - 2019 (Read 22959 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: World Cup - 2019

Reply #120
Bloke who showed dissent shouldn't play next week.

Did well to get that far... Too many average players and too many not at peak form.   All rounders performed poorly.

Hope they pick a better side for the ashes and they give more even performances.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #121
Dave Warner shocker, ditto Handscomb (wtf was he even picked...).

Crazy decision.

Politics getting in the way of sporting success! ;)

It's an ODI, the bulk of games are decided by the coin toss!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
Bloke who showed dissent shouldn't play next week.

Did well to get that far... Too many average players and too many not at peak form.   All rounders performed poorly.

Hope they pick a better side for the ashes and they give more even performances.

Ashes will be a different side. Batting will be quite a bit different and Pattinson will be a huge boost to the bowling line-up

Warner
Khawaja
Patterson
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc/Hazelwood
Lyon

Might not be the actual Test line but you get the idea.

Throughout the World Cup too much was left to too few. Finch and Warner were brilliant throughout the series but once they failed the batting was too brittle to cover for them. Smith had a solid series, up and down a bit much but a great knock last night. Carey was terrific but Stoinis and Maxwell were non-existent in the top 6 and that really hurt, where as in 2015 Maxwell was outstanding and as an all rounder we had Faulkner, way better than Stoinis. Maxwell's issue is that he is far too unreliable and can play dumb shots at the wrong time. Might have been better dropping Stoinis out of the squad when he got injured and played Mitch Marsh as he was awful.

Bowling-wise, Starc did very well although certainly short of his 2015 form, an indication of how good he was 4 years ago. Cummins was great when he had the new ball but once Berendorf came in, he was relegated to first change and was no-where near as effective. Lyon is our best ODI spinner but he is far, far better under Test conditions. Again in 2015 we had Starc, who was unstoppable, Johnson and Faulkner with help from Hazelwood/Cummins.

In the end I was rapt we won the toss and batted but hindsight showed that was wrong. The pitch was really tough to bat on early but by the afternoon had settled and was easy to bat on. Fielding, for one of the rare times this series, would've been alot better.

We didn't have a great side and in the end probably did well to make the semis and lead the ladder for 8 of the 9 rounds.

Reply #123
Mistake playing Stoinis after his first injury....he was a waste of space during the tournament.

An extra batter (Wade) would have been mega beneficial.

Maxwell disappointing but things were already gone by the time he came in....

Kudos to Carey for his ticker, but very, very poor shots by him, Warner, Handscomb (same old, same old poor technique), Stoinis and Maxwell.

Can't win doing that at this level.

Roy should be banned from the final. Hopefully the BCCI will do it.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #124
Kudos to Carey for his ticker, but very, very poor shots by him, Warner, Handscomb (same old, same old poor technique), Stoinis and Maxwell.

I think that under plays the England bowling.

You see our batsmen failing and blame the batsmen, some I agree but I also see good UK bowling, and where the UK batsmen succeed I clearly see our bowlers unable to leverage the sticky wicket!

But why are we shocked, our bowling has been erratic for years now, they live off a good or great match winning performance once every two or three games! That inconsistency is the reason our international rankings have plummeted!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125

You see our batsmen failing and blame the batsmen, some I agree but I also see good UK bowling, and where the UK batsmen succeed I clearly see our bowlers unable to leverage the sticky wicket!

But why are we shocked, our bowling has been erratic for years now, they live off a good or great match winning performance once every two or three games!

Their bowlers lines and length were terrific last night, especially on a very helpful pitch early on. Their opening bowlers went for bugger all and took wickets.

Wish we had lost the toss in hindsight the way it all went. My joy at winning the toss and batting batting was obviously misplaced. They would've batted on the dodgy track when it was bouncing, often at different heights too, seaming etc, and we would've batted on the road once it settled.

Reply #126

But why are we shocked, our bowling has been erratic for years now, they live off a good or great match winning performance once every two or three games!

To a degree, but when 5 of your top 6 give that drivel, it's systemic imo.

Like CFC, you give yourself no chance when you pick your team poorly.

Handscomb's form was ordinary next to Wade's? Bad selection. His technique is nothing but a liability against good bowling. The gap between bat and pad when he played on was monstrous!

Stoinis - on the margin injury wise and zero form in the tournament - bad selection.

Agree the bowlers have been hit & miss. Cummins went right off.

English bowlers - they did their job, as they should. Good line and length, bit of movement early....

Did we win the toss and choose to bat? Perhaps another bad decision....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #127
Wish we had lost the toss in hindsight the way it all went.

Yes, as I mentioned most ODI's are decided by the toss, and winning the toss doesn't mean winning the game.

Have a look at India / NZ, I'm glad NZ won (Psst, don't tell anyone!)but India were robbed, the two sides batted in completely different conditions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
Yes, as I mentioned most ODI's are decided by the toss, and winning the toss doesn't mean winning the game.

Have a look at India / NZ, I'm glad NZ won (Psst, don't tell anyone!)but India were robbed, the two sides batted in completely different conditions.

As was last night really any different - re different conditions?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #129

Warner and Maxwell copped good deliveries from bowlers who took full advantage of the conditions.

What I don't get is how our bowlers, coaches and tacticians can bat through and watch what happens then come out and ignore the conditions!

Handscomb's form was ordinary next to Wade's? Bad selection. His technique is nothing but a liability against good bowling. The gap between bat and pad when he played on was monstrous!

Stoinis - on the margin injury wise and zero form in the tournament - bad selection.

English bowlers - they did their job, as they should. Good line and length, bit of movement early....

I agree about selection, but of course selection contributes nothing to the on field performances of those that get the nod. As I said I think politics come into it, I hear Wade is not well liked by the squad and coaches.

In my opinion, as with CFC, choosing, drafting or recruiting your mates remains the most unprofessional aspect of professional sport!

The decision is neither good or bad, it's just a decision that is a coin toss, that's the reality of ODI.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
As was last night really any different - re different conditions?

Not at all, the problem as I see it was primarily the bowlers though not our batsmen.

The basics are missing. They can't manage the seam, they release pressure by bowling too many loose deliveries, and often not bowling to their field. It makes the outcome of games chaotic and unmanageable.

Some of the problems are without doubt coaching related, but like Carlton there is no simple fix, the problem isn't just the coach it's much bigger!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131
Re Maxwell, it is normally his mantra - if you are going to go at a ball, go hard at it!

It wasn't that great a ball....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #132
Re Maxwell, it is normally his mantra - if you are going to go at a ball, go hard at it!

It wasn't that great a ball....

It clearly stuck in the wicket, regardless of the use of the knuckle ball they shouldn't jump like that, how it pans out is another coin toss scenario. Cummins got another one a few deliveries later and he was just lucky to survive, Smith got several which he just clean missed. Roy gets one from Starc it hits him in the guts and he bats on.

btw., I'm not complaining, I don't want cricket played on roads!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133

Yes! We batted under different conditions over the same day but that was our doing. Poms said they would've batted too. We may have lynched Finch at the time if he bowled but hindsight said it would've been the right decision. Poms would've had a much harder time batting first and us an easy time batting second. Difference was it was our own doing but that's the game.

Reply #134

Cummins bowled well earlier in the Tournament when he had the new ball but once relegated to 1st change he struggled. Funnily enough, Starc bowled much better this tournament with the older ball and reverse swing than he did with the new ball. We went for bit with the new ball but was near unplayable with the older one.