Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Prognostications: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 7089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Prognostications: AFL 2020 Rd 18: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
I think we've come a long way in a short period of time since Bolton to be honest.

I think equally the young blokes are that 18 months older. Makes a difference. I think also there is a better system in place now compared to under Bolton. Plus he threw Dow and a small Fisher into the midfield and I reckon it was just too early for them.

Last game? I'd rather we try something for the preseason and 2021 than not. You might uncover something.

I'll not going to get into another Bolton argument, but any development in the young blokes would be negligible since Bolton left. Yes, the passing of time makes them older, but how much real football development have they experienced since mid 2019 ? Teague played them in the 2nd half of last season because he had to. The minute trade time rolled around, he brought in grandpa Eddie, 100 gamer Martin and Pittonet, and pretty much banished the kids to stuff all scratch matches, and an occasional appearance in the seniors, like a human drip feed. Teague's priority was not development, you can be quite certain of that. That will have to change, but I don't think he will do it until he really has to.

Reply #31
I think we've come a long way in a short period of time since Bolton to be honest.

I think equally the young blokes are that 18 months older. Makes a difference. I think also there is a better system in place now compared to under Bolton. Plus he threw Dow and a small Fisher into the midfield and I reckon it was just too early for them.

Last game? I'd rather we try something for the preseason and 2021 than not. You might uncover something.

Bolton threw some of the young players to the wolves when they weren't ready and it hurt their confidence. They should've been in lesser roles as they developed. Reckon that shot Dow's confidence and did nothing for him. Hopefully haven't killed a good youngster. Great in his first year and a qtr but then fell right away. That's why SOS got some temporary big bodies for that purpose that, as he said, weren't going to be here for more than a couple of years. Similar happened to Weitering playing him in the wrong roles. Was doubted by many for a while but thankfully come good.

Reply #32
The only problem MilHanna is that in the last two weeks, we haven't turned up to play either....absolutely belted in both opening quarters. If Brisbane don't turn up either then it'll be the worst quarter of footy of all time.
Yep, our blokes are already checked out drinking pinacoladas celebrating Simmos career. Crippa and Walshy suggesting a big effort for Simmo is utter lip service.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
Yep, our blokes are already checked out drinking pinacoladas celebrating Simmos career. Crippa and Walshy suggesting a big effort for Simmo is utter lip service.
Our great fear. We've disappointed so many in recent times, I was really hoping we could pull the finger out. So much for hope.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Our great fear. We've disappointed so many in recent times, I was really hoping we could pull the finger out. So much for hope.
It has to change one day Crash.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35

Sounds very ominous.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36
The only problem MilHanna is that in the last two weeks, we haven't turned up to play either....absolutely belted in both opening quarters. If Brisbane don't turn up either then it'll be the worst quarter of footy of all time.

Ha!!  Could be on to something!  Nil-all at q time??

Reply #37

Time and a place for everything ... sigh ... this ain't it.

Reply #38
Rumour on socials is Murphy won’t play.

Probably done his shoulder chairing Gibbs off. 🙄

Reply #39
I'll not going to get into another Bolton argument, but any development in the young blokes would be negligible since Bolton left. Yes, the passing of time makes them older, but how much real football development have they experienced since mid 2019 ? Teague played them in the 2nd half of last season because he had to. The minute trade time rolled around, he brought in grandpa Eddie, 100 gamer Martin and Pittonet, and pretty much banished the kids to stuff all scratch matches, and an occasional appearance in the seniors, like a human drip feed. Teague's priority was not development, you can be quite certain of that. That will have to change, but I don't think he will do it until he really has to.

It's not about Bolton, anymore. I too think the young guys' confidence is shot from the early days. Times have changed. 18 months older is a big difference in maturity.

If we're not going to play these younger guys in bigger roles, then why do we still have them on our list and why would we keep them past tomorrow's final game?

I think the next step for Teague now is to balance the winning with exposing some younger guys into bigger roles with more responsibility. I don't say that for the sake of it. We're not winning games of footy so think that's our cue to change it up a bit. I'm disappointed Teague hasn't. He's stayed loyal to the structure and senior players. That's ok to a degree. His next challenge is to get more our of the fringe types.

Reply #40
We can't put our approach all on to Teague. Under this club administration there is a strategy that is being followed that includes commercial considerations as well as player development etc. Not saying this is the right way necessarily as I don't profess to fully understand all of it's detail. However, I firmly believe that Teague was under instruction to contest and win as many games as possible with the players he had available best suited to that task. Next year the list will have changed and oldies will have gone,  but I think he will still be expected to win games with hopefully the addition of some outside mature talent.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
It's not about Bolton, anymore. I too think the young guys' confidence is shot from the early days. Times have changed. 18 months older is a big difference in maturity.

If we're not going to play these younger guys in bigger roles, then why do we still have them on our list and why would we keep them past tomorrow's final game?

I think the next step for Teague now is to balance the winning with exposing some younger guys into bigger roles with more responsibility. I don't say that for the sake of it. We're not winning games of footy so think that's our cue to change it up a bit. I'm disappointed Teague hasn't. He's stayed loyal to the structure and senior players. That's ok to a degree. His next challenge is to get more our of the fringe types.

From what I have seen, he seems to be bringing them in slower which is probably a better mix.  Give them a bigger role next season and see how we go.

Remember irrespective of how this season has gone, the most mature players were probaby better equipped to survive it and thrive in it simply due to time playing the game.  Repeat pre seasons, better knowledge of their body and how to get up for the following week after quick turnarounds in unfamiliar locations.

Its been interesting. 

Id really love to know where Liam Stocker is and whats going to happen there in respect to his footy.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
From what I have seen, he seems to be bringing them in slower which is probably a better mix.  Give them a bigger role next season and see how we go.

Remember irrespective of how this season has gone, the most mature players were probaby better equipped to survive it and thrive in it simply due to time playing the game.  Repeat pre seasons, better knowledge of their body and how to get up for the following week after quick turnarounds in unfamiliar locations.

Its been interesting. 

Id really love to know where Liam Stocker is and whats going to happen there in respect to his footy.

I agree Thry. Next year I would think it has to be the next step. I think for me it;s this past 3-4 weeks I would have loved to see some change up on field.

Reply #43

Its been interesting. 

Part of the reason they would've been brought in slower this year is they have basically no exposed form in the 2's to hone their craft.

Hard to teach the kids defensive gut running at training.

In hindsight, it was the ideal time to draft a kid who has done his knee (Kemp) as he's missed nothing, and we've missed nothing.

I would hope that some of our kids take on the same kind of personal responsibility over their careers as Cripps did when he hired his own personal running coach.
We need Dow, Obrien, Stocker etc to put in the hard yards in the off-season and come back bigger, better, stronger, faster and most of all HUNGRY.

Reply #44
Again, they reiterated on the radio today that the HUB / restricted training was a clear advantage to older, more established lists like Richmond, Geelong, West Coast etc who had successful systems in place that had been executed prior to lockdown.  Our backline held up because Jones, Weitering, Plowman and Simmo have had time together......our forward line hasn't had that continuity, and it shows!!!  That's where the improvement will come in 2021.