Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 2 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 3951 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 2 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #30
This Covid is stupid - tired of it. Had it twice and symptoms blown out of proportion as proported by science.
Anyway - think it should be evaluated same as influenza as thats what it is. Few days off work to recover and that's it.

Key staff and players missing over this doesn't sit well with me.
Not everybody is so lucky in the outcome @pinot‍ , I know a 24 year old who is at the moment dragging around an oxygen tank. Was double vaxed and all, but still got the unlucky outcome, well maybe unlucky because perhaps without the vaccine they might have been dead.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Not everybody is so lucky in the outcome @pinot‍ , I know a 24 year old who is at the moment dragging around an oxygen tank. Was double vaxed and all, but still got the unlucky outcome, well maybe unlucky because perhaps without the vaccine they might have been dead.

Don't get me wrong it put me on my bum for 2-3 days but went away pretty quick. Unfortunate for others but really felt like the flu where you feel like crap and can't move. It's a 48-72 hr thing until your body builds antibodies is what I have been told by my doctor. Still blown out of proportion - Voss should be right to coach and Martin should be right to play if fit and healthy IMO.

Reply #32

Charlie Curnow was our least effective forward and probably needs a good confidence build. His hands were not sticky yesterday.

I think Charlie might regain form more readily if he is played as a mobile, up-the-ground forward and leaving the high marking to TDK and Harry. This would allow Charlie to use his mobility to advantage in one-on-one contests instead of having him trying to contest pack marks. With his kicking range, he could still be a goal-kicker by floating into the 50 rather than being stationed there.

Reply #33
I think Charlie might regain form more readily if he is played as a mobile, up-the-ground forward and leaving the high marking to TDK and Harry. This would allow Charlie to use his mobility to advantage in one-on-one contests instead of having him trying to contest pack marks. With his kicking range, he could still be a goal-kicker by floating into the 50 rather than being stationed there.

Agree with this

In relation to this weeks side, I’d be giving O’Brien, Setterfield and Owies a rest for Dow, Kemp and Motlop.

OBrien runs well and always seems to get to the right spot but struggles to hold body position and is prone errant disposal until little to no pressure - he’s a battler at AFL level and either of Dow or Kemp would be far more effective

Owies is paid to lock the ball in our F50 and kick goals and he couldn’t deliver the latter. You don’t get many chances as a small forward and you need to take them and from the little I’ve seen of Motlop he can bring the pressure, can finish and has a bag of tricks. He’s a beauty.

I’d be looking to get Kemp in the side pronto and whilst Setterfield wasn’t disgraced he still lacks the intensity that we need.

Reply #34
Settefield has good disposal when he has a little bit of space. Not a penetrating kick but makes good choices and delivers to our advantage. But does lack speed and intensity at times. Just holding his spot for now but doing a decent job.

Reply #35
Meanwhile, Carlton trained on Sunday ahead of Thursday night’s match against the Western Bulldogs and are optimistic that senior coach Michael Voss, player Jack Martin and two other football department staff are the only people within the club to have contracted COVID-19.

Every other member of the football department and the playing group has tested negative on multiple occasions since Friday. The club had a remote recovery session on Saturday and trained on Sunday.

With Voss unable to be at the ground, they will be coached by Ash Hansen on Thursday night. There remains a chance an arrangement will be made for Voss to contribute remotely in a similar manner to the way other assistant coaches did last season.

Cameron discharged from hospital after heavy clash, Carlton optimistic COVID hasn’t spread through club, The Age.

Reply #36
Think the only change this week will be someone for Martin. Don't usually make changes when you win and we won WELL. I think that the Dow, Kemp and Motlop call by JD is a fair one, and I'm sort of leaning towards Motlop for some reason?

Reply #37
Jake Niall in The Age says there's a good chance Walsh will replace Martin. He notes a source said "he had run about 14 kilometres on Friday in a training session and had trained without issue on Tuesday".

Reply #39
Jake Niall in The Age says there's a good chance Walsh will replace Martin. He notes a source said "he had run about 14 kilometres on Friday in a training session and had trained without issue on Tuesday".
When the cameras focussed on Walsh in the grandstand last Thursday night, he was clearly not comfortable as a spectator.  Given the competitive beast he is, I am sure he would have been itching to be out there, especially when the dam wall burst open in the last quarter.

If he thinks he is ready, good luck holding him back.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #40
Make Walsh the medical sub.
When he comes on (and some of the blokes are already looking a little sore ;)  :D ) it will be a psychological boost.

Reply #41
Settefield has good disposal when he has a little bit of space. Not a penetrating kick but makes good choices and delivers to our advantage. But does lack speed and intensity at times. Just holding his spot for now but doing a decent job.

Good summary on Setterfield.

Was it just me or did he play that ‘link up’ role?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #42

Yes, Setters uses the ball well and knows when to move it quickly or slow the tempo.  Like O'Brien, Setters covers a lot of territory and gets to contests.  He's in the team for a reason.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
Walsh confirmed in. Cerra out. Source is the CFC website.

Reply #44

And the Oscar for following the medical science rather than toeing the club line on Walsh goes to ... Mav!