Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 56334 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 4: Post Game Pleasure/pain: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #105
Not enough said about how consistent the doc is.

In a defense lacking key personnel he never drops his head and rarely gets beaten.

Reminds me a lot of Andy McKay.

I think he could get a AA selection this year.

Agreed Shawny.
The Doc (along with Crippa, Weitering, and likely quite a few of the newer draft/recruits) is certainly the epitome of leadership. He's Blue through and through and plays like he is.

Murphy, K, Gibbs and co. aside - the young guns will have strong role models in these second teir players. No doubt Murph won't captain next year. This will make room for the next leaders in 2017.
I look forward to the next crop showing the way. It's a new game plan with plenty of room for growth and development of the young blokes. (what happens to the old blokes - well that will be history).
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #106
Forget the McKay comparisons, this bloke is Peter Dean reborn.

Reply #107
Plowman and Weitering showed tonight that we don't need Rowe or Jamison.  Rowe looked lost on a number of occasions and I know Byrne was blame for that cross the goal mouth goal, but Rowe put no body on the mark, just accepted it in a lazy, la de da fashion.  Because he zero awareness.
I think you have done Rowe a disservice: he may not have played a great game ( we don't call him 'Fumbles' for nothing), but he kept Tom Boyd down to a handful of possessions and had him totally ineffective. His spoiling was excellent (and nor was it alone: most of our defenders had good nights in the air) and his body work on Boyd was also first class.
What let him down was his inability to hold his marks after he has done all the hard work and his tendency to be a part of some of our worst looking errors.

When Rowe was at his best, a couple of seasons back, he started fumbling a lot, but as the year went on, his confidence improved and he started hold some pretty good marks. I'd like to see him getting back to that sort of form, as having Rowe firing is a big plus.
However, neither he nor Jamison has really managed to get our new game style and defensive structure down pat yet. These 2 guys have been caught out when the ball goes over their heads. THAT is definitely due to lack of awareness.
Yesterday Rowe played a more 1 on 1 game, which suits him far better. Hence he played more effectively.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #108
I seem to recall reading somewhere beforehand that Stringer would kick 12.......
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #109
Casboult to defence and take Rowe's spot, Jaksch and Jones in after last night. Casboult plays alot better when he's away from goal. Noticed that tonight. Tempted to drop Krezuer and use Wood, as the former is looking cooked. Graham show ability but needs time with the NB's or now.
Interesting thoughts:
[1] Casboult: not sure he has the awareness to make a top defender, but he just might. There won't be many forward who can out-mark him and him being the hunter instead of the hunted might work out.
[2] Nick Graham: Like Murphy and Gibbs (and to a lesser extent, Cripps), Graham has not managed to relate as well to our new midfield structures as our newer players have. When he was at his best, last year before the injury, he wasn't taking many marks, but was getting to the foot of the pack and getting a lot of clearances. Now he is getting on the end, instead of initiating play again.
I don't think this is a major issue, but it shows how he has adjusted to his present role and it isn't bringing out his best.
Another thing I would do, if I were him, would be work on his body strength. He probably isn't going to get a lot faster, but work on his sprints (particularly the 1st couple of metres) and his ability to out-body opponents (which isn't happening yet) and he would become more effective.
It is possible that he may need a week or 2 in the VFL, when someone like DVR or Cunningham is ready to come up. It wouldn't hurt.
[3] Kreuzer: he is really struggling at the moment, even though he had one of his best ever games at getting taps. He hasn't been able to take a mark around the ground for so long that I can't remember one this season. He finally took a couple of marks on the lead as a forward in the last quarter (after dropping one where he got both hands to the ball directly in front). In fact, he played some of his best forward football in quite a long time last night. However, with 4 marks for the night, and 3 of them on the lead, that isn't enough.
He still had minimal impact around the ground, even against the worst ruck division in the competition.
Phillips, on the other hand, took a couple of nice contested marks and looked to have a future.
Maybe Kreuzer does need some time in the VFL. He needs to rediscover his mojo and start providing a target.
[4] Jaksch and Jones: not sure we can play both of them together yet in the seniors. However, their form has been much improved and at least one of them must be getting close to a recall.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #110
Second half of the first quarter and most of the last  were acceptable. The young 'uns were good.

We're such an easy side to coach against - shut down Cripps and double team Levi and our poor disposal and decision-making will do the rest.

Buckley's a worry in terms of where to play him. Is it good enough to hold down a position if your main role is merely to "harass"?

Lots of love for Graham after he took it up to a few of the bullies after Sumner was poleaxed.
This is another area where a few more kgs of muscle would help Graham. He is not a guy to put up with crap, so having a few more muscles to impose his will on the enemy would be a good thing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #111
Certainly didn't help our (at times) good endeavor. Was 24 to 5 at one point >:(
We were basically crucified by the umpires. After the game I heard Terry Wallet pontificating, explaining that free kicks need not be the same for both sides. His explanation would be fine had they umpires not paid so many 50:50 frees against and then not paid some of the most obvious frees in history to us. Yes, they were getting to the ball first and probably deserved more frees, but that does not mean that we do not have backs that are pushed, heads that have been interfered with, arms that have been chopped, marks that have been taken or holding the balls that should be rewarded. We were not rewarded for our work, and a few of those frees that were given (like the one against Rowe) should earn all 3 umpires several weeks in deepest, darkest Qld or Tassie.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #112
@ Crash

As they say in the classics, "We were crucified Tony!"
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
The game of AFL dictates that it is not possible for a team to play 53 minutes without being infringed upon once.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #114
No.

Buckley is better suited as a running defender - Sumner showed much more defensive and physical pressure than Buckley and kicked a couple of goals too.
I am more than inclined to agree. Buckley has played his best football in defence. He had to concentrate on his game more and his pace from defence was very useful.
For all that, he started very well and had some good patches. But that dropped mark was lethal.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #115
The game of AFL dictates that it is not possible for a team to play 53 minutes without being infringed upon once.

But as the Little Golden Book of AFL umpiring dictates - unless your name is Carlton.

Reply #116
Daisy should be benched permanently. He's old
Injured and ineffectual - he's broken and there's just no point in him continuing in the side, he adds nothing.

NFI what is going on with murph and kruezer and Gibbs Altho I note his hair has grown.

I highly doubt they've been told to take a backseat - I can't imagine any real athlete/competitor going along with those types of instructions.

I think K will come good, daisy should retire, I hope
Murph comes good and Gibbs will either come good or move on end of season.
Unfortunately the recruiting of Dale Thomas is going to go down as one of the worst decisions of the Malthouse administration. Not only did it cost a lot of money over an extended time period, but it had to have an effect on retaining (more accurately, the no - retaining) of Betts.
Thomas has been an excellent player, but his body is no longer allowing him to do the things that made him such a good player. He is fragile. He breaks very easily (in that regard he has taken the mantle from Broke McLean).
His pace, his aggression at the contest, his spring and solid hands and the depth of this kicking have all disappeared. He has shown some of the indomitable will (like the smother against the Weagles last year), but he just doesn't get to the contests any more.
He has to be thinking of retirement. He is a proud man: he cannot be liking what he is producing any more than we can like seeing it.
At this point he id not being able to deliver enough with any consistency. It must gall him at least as much as it galls us.
With his body no longer being reliable, he has to be considering his future.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #117
@ Crash

I think you're right about Daisy and it wouldn't surprise me to see him retire - with probably some kind of inducement offered by the club.

Reply #118
Not enough said about how consistent the doc is.

In a defense lacking key personnel he never drops his head and rarely gets beaten.

Reminds me a lot of Andy McKay.

I think he could get a AA selection this year.
When he started with us he was anything but consistent, and his kicking was very unreliable. He has had 4 straight good games this year and is suiting our new structure very well. He has been an excellent pick-up.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #119
I seem to recall reading somewhere beforehand that Stringer would kick 12......

Stringer got moved off Plowman because Plowman was taking him to the cleaners in the air and on the ground. He did adequately in the midfield, but even then we managed to curtail his influence. He got some ball in the end - how could he not when the Dogs play ring and ring a rosy with the handballs? However, very few players had less influence on the result.
Live Long and Prosper!