Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 56410 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #180
Makes a difference when the ball is being delivered into the forward line quickly and accurately. We all knew Waite's hands were the best in the business - probably best since Loewe or, before that, Swan McKay. Our mids have been w-a-y too slow, lazy, stupid, and inept for too long.

North seem to be playing him almost exclusively as a forward, rather than shifting him forward and back. Anyone else agree ?

Reply #181
Im not solely of the belief we were doing everything wrong with regards to our players, but I think these guys leaving our club to go to places where they can play the roles that gets the best out of them as opposed to staying with us, where we needed them to shoulder heavier loads has a lot to do with their fortunes even if it is negatively impacting ours.

Not since Fevola was at the club was Waite able to play the role he was better suited to, and even back then we were still short one tall (pardon the pun).

Betts left for the money pure and simple, Waite left for the length of the contract.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but given Waite's injury history and our stage of development at the time it would have been insane to offer him three years, just imagine the outcry if we had and he played 6 or 8 games a year in those years.
North sees itself as a Premiership chance this year or next and has added experienced and classy, albeit injury prone, players like Waite and Higgins to maximise their chances, Hawthorn did the same with great success so you can't wonder at their strategy.
Personally I have no issues with players looking after number one because clubs are ruthless going the other way, so good luck to both Waite and Betts as far as I'm concerned.
As it happens I think Waite played his best football at Carlton in the back half, but we have been so light on for forwards over the past decade that we were left with no option.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #182
Our full forward now has even better hands than Waite but we just bomb it in to him as well. A bigger problem is when he does take the big mark he is a 50-50 proposal as to whether he can execute a drop punt.

50/50, that's even money, Blue Boy.

I wouldn't take 10/1 about him kicking a goal from 40 metres out directly in front. ::)

Reply #183
Just a word on Thomas.

Was at the ground and had good seats and watches a lot of work off the ball.

One thing I noticed was Thomas directs and leads well well works off the ball and from what i saw is respected by all even the senior guys. Was directing simmo where to stand  :o.

I agree he will never be the player he was but I think we might take something from his experience and leadership.

On another point this is why any discussions putting him in the same basket with Gibbs is crap.

One is younger has the body and still the ability but refuses to work hard when the pressure is on while the other doesn't have the body but is a real professional and while his work with footy is only average he sets a great example for the youngsters and I think we still need that sort of player.

Just that if you rate him on what he cost us it's a massive fail -  but if you can get past that we can still get something out of his time in blue.

I am pleased he adds something to our team. Watching on TV meant he didn't do a lot and what he did do was generally poor. His body has failed him and my view is that he is now a liability. I think I would prefer blooding a young player now instead of Daisy. It's unfortunate as I had high hopes for him.

Reply #184
Anyone see Gibbs sh1t his pants in front of a marking contest and then get sprayed by Rowe? Or are people still, incredibly enough, considering him a good footballer?  One of the biggest pretenders I've ever seen play the game.

Reply #185
If Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer (ditto Daisy) put in even 'ok' games, we would be winning these matches.

These blokes are the reason we are so bad.....they simply don't produce on a consistent enough basis.

Three #1 and one #2 draft picks producing diddly squat.

It's a sickness that people still rile off those names.  If you ignore their positions in their draft - out of 10, Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer are a 7,5 and 4 respectively

Reply #186
Anyone see Gibbs sh1t his pants in front of a marking contest and then get sprayed by Rowe? Or are people still, incredibly enough, considering him a good footballer?  One of the biggest pretenders I've ever seen play the game.

Sponts I'm so sorry bro, I bagged you all those years for singling out Gibbs, you were right.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #187
Sponts I'm so sorry bro, I bagged you all those years for singling out Gibbs, you were right.

PI2C this is without a doubt the best day of my life! Thank you my friend!!!

I will now gladly welcome any other apologies  ;D

Reply #188
PI2C this is without a doubt the best day of my life! Thank you my friend!!!

I will now gladly welcome any other apologies  ;D

That now means Gibbs is a certainty for the B+F!  :D

Reply #189
Michelle (Bluesgirl) is on facebook ranting about Jono Brown saying he's a real Rex Hunt or something along those lines because of what he wrote. Does anyone know what he wrote about us?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #190
Michelle (Bluesgirl) is on facebook ranting about Jono Brown saying he's a real Rex Hunt or something along those lines because of what he wrote. Does anyone know what he wrote about us?
Doesn't seem to be anything on a quick search....maybe watch "On the couch" tonight. He'll no doubt sink the slipper

Reply #191
Brown made comments about Cotchins wife backing him on social media. He said WAGs should but out or something along those lines.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #193
Not Carlton related then?
not to my knowledge.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #194
That now means Gibbs is a certainty for the B+F!  :D

You could be right  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball