Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG (Read 9737 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG

Reply #120
An interesting set of Emergencies. All mid/forwards. Set up for the conditions?
To be honest, I hope they all play in the VFL.

Cuners, Owies and Setters names in the 2s. Not Paddy though.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #121
He'll probably be at the MCG. He is the 'travelling emergency'.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #122
He'll probably be at the MCG. He is the 'travelling emergency'.

No such thing, upgraded to Sub now.
Gets a game to his tally for his efforts too

Reply #123

Could be a good sub - come on when the heat is out of the game, may have slowed enough for him to be effective??

Reply #124
Disappointed we didn't persist with Dow, but at least Setterfield wasn't saved. Levi has to be on his last chance, surely. Glad Kennedy gets a crack.
Go Blues

Levi's in as he is the 2nd ruck for that reason he'll stay in the side despite his form. Hopefully we use McGovern as a key position focal point so Levi can focus as a 2nd ruck rather that being relied upon to kick goals. He came into the season underdone and has struggled so that might be best for him.

Reply #125
I'm not unhappy with that 22. 

McGovern is lucky to get a game and he needs to make the most of this opportunity. 

Kennedy did enough in his cameo last week to demand a spot and it will be interesting to see if he can back up.  On past performances, he rarely strings together two decent games.  A good game from him on Saturday night could be a key factor in our fortunes and his career.  Hopefully, he will be at his very best.

Dow and Setterfield are both a bit stiff to be dropped but they should take heart from being named as emergencies.  Good efforts in the VFL should have them on contention again.

Willo was dominant in our VFL practice match, as an AFL player should be.  He is lucky that Parks twinged a hammy and he needs to take full advantage of his opportunity.  I'm expecting solid defence and a bit of mongrel.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #126
I'm not unhappy with that 22. 

McGovern is lucky to get a game and he needs to make the most of this opportunity. 

Kennedy did enough in his cameo last week to demand a spot and it will be interesting to see if he can back up.  On past performances, he rarely strings together two decent games.  A good game from him on Saturday night could be a key factor in our fortunes and his career.  Hopefully, he will be at his very best.

Dow and Setterfield are both a bit stiff to be dropped but they should take heart from being named as emergencies.  Good efforts in the VFL should have them on contention again.

Willo was dominant in our VFL practice match, as an AFL player should be.  He is lucky that Parks twinged a hammy and he needs to take full advantage of his opportunity.  I'm expecting solid defence and a bit of mongrel.
a bit stiff to be dropped?

Both seem to be struggling with the 2021 format of the game.  Its a bit quicker and they both are not really giving us as much as we would like and maybe a vfl game to find the footy and build some form is warranted.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #127
With Dow, Cunners, Owies and Setterfield as emergencies, we need to hold TWO over at the ground. One will definitely be used as the sub and one needs to be there as a genuine emergency in case something happens in the warm up etc....  

Reply #128
Time for the Guv to stand up and be counted.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #129
a bit stiff to be dropped?

Both seem to be struggling with the 2021 format of the game.  Its a bit quicker and they both are not really giving us as much as we would like and maybe a vfl game to find the footy and build some form is warranted.

Absolutely stiff to be dropped!

Setterfield was one of our better players in the pre-season games and he did well against the Tigers.  With a bit of luck, he could have kicked 2 goals and the result may have been quite different.  He had a poor game against Collingwood, but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe.  He then missed the game against Freo and prudent team selection would have had him coming back through the twos.  Of course, he was rushed straight back for the Gold Coast game and, although he played a reasonable game, someone has to make way for Williams. 

Dow is another one who played well in the pre-season games and did well against the Tigers and was unlucky not to add to his one goal.  His form in the next three games wasn't great but he has laid more tackles than most of his teammates.

Williams had to come into the side and one of Dow and Setterfield are the obvious ones to make way for him.  That doesn't mean that they're not stiff to miss out. 

I'm not convinced that Kennedy is an improvement over Dow or Setterfield.  He has done well in his cameo appearances as a lead up forward but disappoints as a midfielder.  He probably deserves a game but we can't afford a low possession game from him.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #130

Setterfield was one of our better players in the pre-season games and he did well against the Tigers.  With a bit of luck, he could have kicked 2 goals and the result may have been quite different.  He had a poor game against Collingwood, but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe.  He then missed the game against Freo and prudent team selection would have had him coming back through the twos.  Of course, he was rushed straight back for the Gold Coast game and, although he played a reasonable game, someone has to make way for Williams. 

Dow is another one who played well in the pre-season games and did well against the Tigers and was unlucky not to add to his one goal.  His form in the next three games wasn't great but he has laid more tackles than most of his teammates.

Williams had to come into the side and one of Dow and Setterfield are the obvious ones to make way for him.  That doesn't mean that they're not stiff to miss out. 

I'm not convinced that Kennedy is an improvement over Dow or Setterfield.  He has done well in his cameo appearances as a lead up forward but disappoints as a midfielder. He probably deserves a game but we can't afford a low possession game from him.

You're kidding right?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #131

I'm not convinced that Kennedy is an improvement over Dow or Setterfield.  He has done well in his cameo appearances as a lead up forward but disappoints as a midfielder.  He probably deserves a game but we can't afford a low possession game from him.
I don't know about "unlucky to be dropped", the coaches have seen something that has caused concerns, many here and other sites have also been vocal about Setter's form in all the games this year. To me, Dow at least looks like he is having a crack or displays some urgency, I can't say the same for young Wil. Interesting how we see things differently though. What's important now is that the 22 that run out tonight get the job done.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #132
You're kidding right?

Agree, he is a very good mid and is actually our only mid who can go forward, clunk a mark and be bloody reliable in front of goal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #133
I don't know about "unlucky to be dropped", the coaches have seen something that has caused concerns, many here and other sites have also been vocal about Setter's form in all the games this year. To me, Dow at least looks like he is having a crack or displays some urgency, I can't say the same for young Wil. Interesting how we see things differently though. What's important now is that the 22 that run out tonight get the job done.

Yep.

Perhaps we've become so accustomed to being where we are on the ladder that we're grateful for anything that looks like being okay or showing promise, and hence make excuses or look for any positives.

Yes, Dow looks like he's having a red hot dip, so we cut him slack... but at what cost to our potential success? Ultimately, he is not delivering and seems to have lost confidence - a few dominant games in the Magoos might be just what he needs.

Setters is almost the opposite. His vision and disposal by hand, especially, is really good and has resulted in many good links... but, that's it! Too one-dimensional. And really doesn't seem to want to impose himself on the contest with any physicality and that hurts our defensive efforts in particular.

So, IMHO, both Dow and Setters are very limited in what they can offer, at present. Both have much to learn... but will they? Maybe they're both just not quite AFL standard? Time will tell.

I hope this is a pattern for our selection committee... more ruthlessness - not delivering on expectations? Out you go. Harsh but needed if we are to become a finalist.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #134

Ok, so don't drop Dow and setters...

Who do you drop to bring in Williams and cover for injuries to Silvagni and parks?

Someone has to go....those 2 are most likely.