Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547187 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1575
I like Paine,  solid cricketer but if his hand is no good,  Carey plays.

As for captain,  no idea.  None of the bats deserve it,  they've got enough crap to deal with.   Maybe Lyon, as senior player and established senior player,  fields close enough to bowlers to speak to them.

I prefer Carey as a batsman as I have said before , has that DeKock ability to win change and win games...as you say Paine is solid cricketer but I dont see opposition teams putting too much time into him as a batsman. I know you should pick keepers on keeping ability first but given our batting lineup is rubbish we need the extra batting depth IMO.

Lyon as captain isnt such a bad idea given the choices, at least he perform most games with the ball and shows some fight with the bat...........I'd be looking at Starc's position too...maybe gets one more game to perform.....

Reply #1576
Hasn't Warnie called out Starc before as being "soft"?  I trust recent criticism gives him the jag he appears to need. Love him to take a bag in Perth and silence the knockers but he looks to be labouring.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1577
Hasn't Warnie called out Starc before as being "soft"?  I trust recent criticism gives him the jag he appears to need. Love him to take a bag in Perth and silence the knockers but he looks to be labouring.

Rightly so, because at times Starc bowls like a wicket keeper.

You'd thing as a former keeper Starc would offer the bloke behind the stumps a little more respect!

On a different issue, I think fans might find Lyon getting a holiday for Perth, 1st Class reports are suggesting the new pitch is rock hard and slippery smooth with little or no spin. The test version of an ODI wicket.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1578
Rightly so, because at times Starc bowls like a wicket keeper.

You'd thing as a former keeper Starc would offer the bloke behind the stumps a little more respect!

On a different issue, I think fans might find Lyon getting a holiday for Perth, 1st Class reports are suggesting the new pitch is rock hard and slippery smooth with little or no spin. The test version of an ODI wicket.

Playing without a spinner is a dangerous ploy IMO, our quicks are good but nothing like the great Windies attacks for example who could play four and get away with it.
Lyon would be one of my first picked, I'd expect Kholi to enjoy Perth and would want the variety Lyon adds.....

Reply #1579
Watching footage of the boys training,  Starc was holding an old bat with big square notches cut in both edges and the corner of the toe.   I'm seen a lot of cricket training drills but this is not a training aid I'm familiar with.  Anybody have an idea what that one is about?

Reply #1580
BTW,  I'm with Fly,  that last "catch" was grassed.   Indians wouldn't want to birch about umpiring etc,  they had a good run.

Said the same thing to Lady Lucifer after CH7 showed the catch from a different camera angle, that catch was very suss.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #1581
Watching footage of the boys training,  Starc was holding an old bat with big square notches cut in both edges and the corner of the toe.   I'm seen a lot of cricket training drills but this is not a training aid I'm familiar with.  Anybody have an idea what that one is about?

Sounds like something my father made, it looks more like a paddle than a cricket bat.

If it is, the idea is to use it in the nets to help you hit the ball in the middle of the bat as there is less middle to work with, when you have a full width bat, it makes it seem very easy.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #1582
Thanks,  i can see the merit in that approach.

Personally,  i couldn't middle it with a 12" pizza board.

Reply #1583

Sounds like something my father made, it looks more like a paddle than a cricket bat.

If it is, the idea is to use it in the nets to help you hit the ball in the middle of the bat as there is less middle to work with, when you have a full width bat, it makes it seem very easy.

Seems like a  more refined method of the stump/golf ball routine that Bradman used......think there was footage of ex Aus player Joe Burns using the stump/golf ball to train with too....

Reply #1584
Thanks,  i can see the merit in that approach.

Personally,  i couldn't middle it with a 12" pizza board.

I could edge to the keeper for Australia.

Reply #1585
Years ago my brother coached junior cricket had some odd bats in his kit a bit like this, but one like ProfE described had triangles cut down the edges to be used for slips practice to make the ball spin and act less unpredictably.

For batting he had bats with long tapered shoulders, tapered toes, short bats, thin bats, all designed to get kids thinking about using the whole bat and where to place their hands.

He had one very good coaching technique that helped kids heaps with defense. He'd get them in the net and bowl to them and have them catch the ball with no bat at all. He was making the point that if you had to stand there and catch the ball you would never not get a hand on it. His point was to get the kids thinking about the best way to defend and using the splice for many defensive shots by getting their hands close to the ball. I was watching Kohli at the weekend and he bats very much in that manner, low hands quick wrist movement.

Back on the cricket, Langer has been in the media stating no changes for Perth. I'm not sure if this is good to hear him backing them in, or back to the bad old days of a welded on line up.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1586
Can't see Finch,  being predominantly a front foot player, opening in Perth.

I prefer the term "rusted on" LP,  "welded on" has an air of permanency, unlike our batting.

Reply #1588
Can't see Finch,  being predominantly a front foot player, opening in Perth.

I prefer the term "rusted on" LP,  "welded on" has an air of permanency, unlike our batting.
Finch has been playing in the middle order for Victoria. That is where he should be at this point in his career.
Khawaja looked to be totally out of form in the last test: no big surprise considering the lack of cricket he has had lately. But he has done his best work opening.
Harris probably deserves another try, but I'd like to see some more shots.
I wouldn't have picked Marsh, but that is another tale. He hit his best 4th innings score in the last game, so he saved himself for a little while longer.
Handscomb also needs to play a few more shots. He gets out when he is bogged down.

Starc: well, Warnie is probably right, their is a softness to Starc's game that come out every so often. I think it is probably his personality. While he is there we'll probably have to live with that. But I hope he can bowl better than he has been doing; he has the talent.

I'd like to see Carey in, to be honest. I think he is the future. Paine's batting has always promised a lot, but has delivered very little. He may have a lot of batting talent, but he has never produced on the big stage.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1589
Agree, Finch is not an opener.

Joe Burns is a bit erratic I know, but he is an established opener and can make runs.
Should be in the side.

Damn good close in fieldsman too.

Finch, Harris, Handscomb must all perform in
Perth.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.