Skip to main content
Topic: Future of the footy forum (Read 43355 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Future of the footy forum

Reply #45
I've noticed that social media is changing too.  People don't use it like they used to.  Most of my friends have ditched facebook for insta because there's too much advertising and sports on facebook.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #47
Thry, are you suggesting he can't read it is on CSC or that he doesn't know the identity of those reading it?

Because integration with Facebook (let's use that as an example), wouldn't mean all the posts on CSC are on Facebook.
It might mean that a link is posted directing those wanting to chat about Gibbs to come over to the forum and discuss it.

Whilst respecting everyone's right to their own decisions around where and when they post, I find some comments a little hard to understand and I wonder if they are just blanket statements without a complete understanding of what integration with sites might actually look liike.

Here are 2 examples

Example 1
=======
IF the forum enables users to use their account (and let's say Facebook again) as an 'option' to logon with (instead of having to signup with email) are people saying they would leave the forum?
I mean that is an 'integration' with Social Media affecting only those wanting to sign on that way, but it is a popular form of integration.

Now why would the forum adopt this method as an opton for signing up? Well as an example yesterday I was in Fitzroy heading to St Vincent's and looking for some sushi to take up to someone I was visiting. I downloaded Yelp onto my new phone and you had to log in or sign up. I was able to just signup with my facebook account in seconds, rather than have to signup with my email, wait for verification etc etc. I was pulled over on the side of the road, I would not have signed up with email. Now this is common, a LOT of people would prefer to hit a couple of buttons to sign up/logon to a site, that is why that method has become so popular everywhere.

So that is one of the most popular forms of social media integration. Would people actually leave CSC if that was enabled here?
If yes, I respectfully ask why?

Example 2
========
What about if today someone went to Facebook and copy and pasted a link from a discussion here and put it on a Carlton Football Supporter group today encouraging people to join csc and chat? Something which has absolutely already happened.

Would people leave CSC if a poster on here was to do that?

If not, then why would people leave if there was an option to "share on Facebook" a thread. Making it easier for the admins or others to post the link?

What I am suggesting here is that it can already be done right now, but having it as a built in option makes it easier for a topic to be shared.

The site can enable these options and the ONLY change for the average user would be a button with the option to 'share' or an option to 'sign in with your ........ account'. Users could still login with their current account/password/avatar. No user would ever have to go to Facebook or Twitter or Google+ (that is funny) or reddit or anywhere else to discuss Carlton.
In other words the site can enable integration with the wider community without a user here changing anything.

So whilst I understand people might jump ship if you had to lose your anonymity (though that anonymity is partly a falsehood regardless right now), or if the discussion here were moving to social media... I do struggle with understanding why someone postiing a link to the forum on another platform would be enough to  drive people away.

This could very easily be a misunderstanding by me, but it does seem as though growth is discouraged by some because that in reality is all that integration is designed to do. To allow CSC to reach out to the next generation of supporters to come and chat about Carlton, because I fail to see how any of the suggestions change things for current users who don't use social media.

===

If it is something other than the above that is worrying people about SM, what is it?

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #48
Thry, are you suggesting he can't read it is on CSC or that he doesn't know the identity of those reading it?

Because integration with Facebook (let's use that as an example), wouldn't mean all the posts on CSC are on Facebook.
It might mean that a link is posted directing those wanting to chat about Gibbs to come over to the forum and discuss it.

Whilst respecting everyone's right to their own decisions around where and when they post, I find some comments a little hard to understand and I wonder if they are just blanket statements without a complete understanding of what integration with sites might actually look liike.

Here are 2 examples

Example 1
=======
IF the forum enables users to use their account (and let's say Facebook again) as an 'option' to logon with (instead of having to signup with email) are people saying they would leave the forum?
I mean that is an 'integration' with Social Media affecting only those wanting to sign on that way, but it is a popular form of integration.

Now why would the forum adopt this method as an opton for signing up? Well as an example yesterday I was in Fitzroy heading to St Vincent's and looking for some sushi to take up to someone I was visiting. I downloaded Yelp onto my new phone and you had to log in or sign up. I was able to just signup with my facebook account in seconds, rather than have to signup with my email, wait for verification etc etc. I was pulled over on the side of the road, I would not have signed up with email. Now this is common, a LOT of people would prefer to hit a couple of buttons to sign up/logon to a site, that is why that method has become so popular everywhere.

So that is one of the most popular forms of social media integration. Would people actually leave CSC if that was enabled here?
If yes, I respectfully ask why?

Example 2
========
What about if today someone went to Facebook and copy and pasted a link from a discussion here and put it on a Carlton Football Supporter group today encouraging people to join csc and chat? Something which has absolutely already happened.

Would people leave CSC if a poster on here was to do that?

If not, then why would people leave if there was an option to "share on Facebook" a thread. Making it easier for the admins or others to post the link?

What I am suggesting here is that it can already be done right now, but having it as a built in option makes it easier for a topic to be shared.

The site can enable these options and the ONLY change for the average user would be a button with the option to 'share' or an option to 'sign in with your ........ account'. Users could still login with their current account/password/avatar. No user would ever have to go to Facebook or Twitter or Google+ (that is funny) or reddit or anywhere else to discuss Carlton.
In other words the site can enable integration with the wider community without a user here changing anything.

So whilst I understand people might jump ship if you had to lose your anonymity (though that anonymity is partly a falsehood regardless right now), or if the discussion here were moving to social media... I do struggle with understanding why someone postiing a link to the forum on another platform would be enough to  drive people away.

This could very easily be a misunderstanding by me, but it does seem as though growth is discouraged by some because that in reality is all that integration is designed to do. To allow CSC to reach out to the next generation of supporters to come and chat about Carlton, because I fail to see how any of the suggestions change things for current users who don't use social media.

===

If it is something other than the above that is worrying people about SM, what is it?

Not exactly.

There is a level of restraint people will subconsciously come to if they sign on with their public identity.

Players will seldom come to forum's like this one.  I think they'd visibly read social media.

If the tie in was just authentication and the comments don't hit facebook that's probably ok.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49
I agree people will comment different if their actual identity is used, but many sites use Single Sign On tools and you still post under an alias and allow anyone who doesn't want to use any of the different SM platforms to still sign up the traditional way.
Oh and I know 100% for sure that players come to forums.

Also I don't think people actual read "posts" on Facebook. They might see a link and go and read further on the site, but if someone tried to run a forum through a Facebook group it would just be a huge mess full of inane comments.

And twitter doesn't allow for lengthy posting.
In both instances any integration would be directing people to talk about footy on the forum I would think

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #50
Forums are better for this type of discussion because they are more heavily moderated than Facebook which basically gets overrun with trolls when posts on sport, politics or religion are the content.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
Tend to feel the same way. I want nothing to do with Facebook or Twitter and studiously avoid both.
[/quote

X2
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #52
I like this forum. I like the way it is set up and I value the comments that the major contributers make regarding the issues around the CFC. While I don't always post, I always read. I do get frustrated by the the negativity sometimes, and I find the down right abuse some people hurl towards our players is disappointing and I will often make my opinion clear on this. However, while I might disagree with what people may say, I will defend to the death the right of people to say it.
I say keep going. There have been dark days at Carlton for a number of years, with a couple of false dawns, however I think there are Navy Blue skies ahead.

Reply #53
Mateinone, I think the people saying that they want no part of a social media integration, just don’t understand what’s being proposed. 
I think once they do understand, they’ll be ok with it, as I think you’re suggesting including the “option” to utilize and not actually making these people join facebook.

The anominity of posters is an interesting one, personally I think it’s a relic of a bygone age, but it’s also quite charming. We’ve had some wonderfully creative usernames over the years !

I wasin a messenger group at one point. It was made up of current and former CSC posters, and I noted that one poster in particular had a much quieter disposition in the messenger group than the testerone charged one displayed on CSC...
I’d presumed that was because in the messenger group we all knew who he was... But then again a quick read of FB will show plenty of angry ants making outrageous statements/threats seemingly without thought of anonymity. 
I guess to me the username/real name thing doesn’t really matter.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is using the site on a Mobi... I’ll admit I haven’t tried for a couple of years, but the times I tried it was pretty useless.
I can usually wait to get home and use my iPad to catch up, but Trade/Draft period is always an anxious time, but then again the afl and club trade trackers have made it so that at least I’m informed about the changes, even if I can’t join the conversation.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #54
Mateinone, I think the people saying that they want no part of a social media integration, just don’t understand what’s being proposed. 
I think once they do understand, they’ll be ok with it, as I think you’re suggesting including the “option” to utilize and not actually making these people join facebook.

The anominity of posters is an interesting one, personally I think it’s a relic of a bygone age, but it’s also quite charming. We’ve had some wonderfully creative usernames over the years !

I wasin a messenger group at one point. It was made up of current and former CSC posters, and I noted that one poster in particular had a much quieter disposition in the messenger group than the testerone charged one displayed on CSC...
I’d presumed that was because in the messenger group we all knew who he was... But then again a quick read of FB will show plenty of angry ants making outrageous statements/threats seemingly without thought of anonymity. 
I guess to me the username/real name thing doesn’t really matter.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is using the site on a Mobi... I’ll admit I haven’t tried for a couple of years, but the times I tried it was pretty useless.
I can usually wait to get home and use my iPad to catch up, but Trade/Draft period is always an anxious time, but then again the afl and club trade trackers have made it so that at least I’m informed about the changes, even if I can’t join the conversation.

I agree NorthernBlue on a mobile friendly site would be useful, I too have been frustrated trying to read the site via the mobile.

Your points about social media integration - perhaps I don't understand what's being proposed, I am not against modernisation but I will not join Facebook, Twitter or their clones. I briefly tried whatsapp and have since removed it, I was not impressed the contacts in my phone were sent information from Whatsapp when they have never used the service. The only social messenger group program I would consider would be Telegram (made famous by ISIS unfortunately), but it does work. Again I was careful about what I gave it access to but it does have a very good desktop app that works seamlessly with the phone version.

Posting links on social media the lead participants to our site where they can contribute I have no problem with, I don't even mind if they can return post from Facebook, but I won't be joining them in Facebook groups.

Reply #55
I think it's probably important that we understand that any future form of the site would be largely unchanged.
Links to a CSC facebook etc would just be that...links.
Folk who didn't want to access those features would not have to.
Anonymity would be preserved for those who just use the main forum.

All we're considering are some extra "bells and whistles" that would enhance the site and be user friendly.

Reply #56
@spf

As per what Lods has just said I would not think there would ever be any reason that users of a forum such as this would need to sign up to any social media sites, I know for sure that isn't what I was proposing when I was talking about integration with Social Media sites.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #57
I agree NorthernBlue on a mobile friendly site would be useful, I too have been frustrated trying to read the site via the mobile.

So there is no Simple Machines mobile friendly view for this site?

I understand the desire for a social media based site, because of the mobile issues, and I appreciate FB and others Apps have this already sorted. But it's almost impossible to keep such sites securely closed, I'm assuming you want to retain a closed group.

Maybe the problem is Simple Machines itself, is there an alternative?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
A lot of people don't use their own names on fb. I use my business name.

Reply #59
I joined CSC just over 10 years ago in early '07.
I was living in Adelaide and tired of not getting any news about the Blues in the state paper, and precious little content from the Carlton website.

I joined, TC, CSC and BF all within a month of each other, CSC has always been by far the best site.

TC had some good training reports and and a Carlton recruiting staff member who would comment from time to time, but that all dried up and the discussion there other wise, wasn't all that great.

BF now has a guy that does some training reports, BF is also good for some goss around trade period time and for reading a number of different phantom drafts leading up to the national draft  each year.
I still visit BF but probably split my time 25% there, 75% here.

I love the community feel of this site, the type and level of discussion here is something you will never find on somewhere like FB.

I miss BluesGirl and her training reports, and while I'm sure we still have some female members still here, we seem to have lost quite a few too, not sure why...

I have also had the privilege of meeting a number of people from this site and watching games with them. I've never had a bad experience, and would happily do catch up's with anyone who is interested.

This site has been and still is a great place to come and get my Blues fix!

I'm not against starting up a CSC FB page/twitter account or whatever, with links to threads on this site, it would then be up to individual posters if they wanted to interact with those pages or just come here directly.

All in all this site has served me well over the last 10 years and I look forward to celebrating with everyone when we eventually get our hands on premiership flag no 17!!

Go Blues!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!