Skip to main content
Topic: Team Selection Policy In 2016 (Read 21083 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Team Selection Policy In 2016

Reply #15
Bar injuries the first round may go like this....

Touhy Jammo Weitering
Docherty Plowman Simpson
Buckley Gibbs E.Curnow
C.Curnow Jaksch Walker
Everitt Casboult Lamb

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy

Thomas Boekhorst Graham Kerridge

Reply #16

Touhy Jammo Weitering
Docherty Plowman Simpson
Buckley Gibbs E.Curnow
C.Curnow Jaksch Walker
Everitt Casboult Lamb

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy

I doubt we'd go in with so many 1st gamers and only 1 full-time ruckmen in Rnd 1, but you never know!

I expect with the new rules in 2016 you will find 2 full-time ruckmen playing each week, as a result I think Kreuzer + 1 is almost a certainty.

So take Jnr Curnow and Lamb out and put Phillips and Wright in. If Thomas is fit he'd start, Buckley won't be on a wing and Kerridge would be a starting HFF ahead of any others.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
I doubt we'd go in with so many 1st gamers and only 1 full-time ruckmen in Rnd 1, but you never know!

I expect with the new rules in 2016 you will find 2 full-time ruckmen playing each week, as a result I think Kreuzer + 1 is almost a certainty.

So take Jnr Curnow and Lamb out and put Phillips and Wright in. If Thomas is fit he'd start, Buckley won't be on a wing and Kerridge would be a starting HFF ahead of any others.

Not a bad place for Buckley to play with his pace and run. Could even play him small forward. Doesn't matter that much these days where the mids are set up anyway. In the end they are all mids with their roles.

We never do any good playing two ruckmen. Kreuzer is so much better rucking most of the day with a little help from Casboult. Our rucks aren't any good when then not on the ball and not convinced the new ones are that good.  New rules won't help much regarding ruckmen with the bench as interchanges are reduced to 90. Can't waste it with ruckmen spending alot of time on the bench. Need the  bench numbers for the mids to keep interchanging.

C.Curnow is a fair size boy already. Like Jack Darling did he can play pretty much straight off and would like to play him that way. Lamb isn't a first gamer. He's been around for a while.

Reply #18
We can nurture players through as we did with Nick Graham, giving him a quarter every other month.

Reply #19
We can nurture players through as we did with Nick Graham, giving him a quarter every other month.

.......it was a master stroke by old powder balls. That way players can play until they are in their 50's!

Bloody AFL had it in for Malty from the beginning!!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #20

Am i missing here? 2 first gamers only....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
Agree completely. It would be preferable if the first year players play reserves only in 2016, developing the understanding and fitness to compete properly and contribute. I fail to see the benefit in 18 year olds getting games because they were high picks. The club therefore needs to ensure the reserves are being coached properly and they are building the same approach and culture in the NBs.

We have too many players that were chucked in too early. Gibbs stands out as the example of what not to do. The guy was getting jabs in his injured ankle in his first year.

The 'have a go' mentality is a recipe for trouble. Having an opportunity when the hard work has been done and the levels required to receive the opportunity are understood is where the club must head toward.

Reply #22
Agree completely. It would be preferable if the first year players play reserves only in 2016, developing the understanding and fitness to compete properly and contribute. I fail to see the benefit in 18 year olds getting games because they were high picks. The club therefore needs to ensure the reserves are being coached properly and they are building the same approach and culture in the NBs.

We have too many players that were chucked in too early. Gibbs stands out as the example of what not to do. The guy was getting jabs in his injured ankle in his first year.

The 'have a go' mentality is a recipe for trouble. Having an opportunity when the hard work has been done and the levels required to receive the opportunity are understood is where the club must head toward.

18yo's do get games because they're good enough though. There's been alot of those over time. Weitering has played VFL and dominated senior AFL players. As a few coaches and scribes have said, he is ready to go from the start. C.Curnow big and strong enough to slot in easily enough at his size. Rest might need NBs time though.

Most players need that taste in their first year even if it's a game or two, as long as it's earned.

Reply #23

Surely it should depend on the ability, maturity and physical and mental preparedness of the player concerned.

Gibbs had been playing SANFL before being drafted so he was ready to go.  However, giving him jabs to keep him on the ground is appalling player management.  I don't really understand how the club doctor could agree to that.

Depending on how they go in the pre-season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Weitering and Curnow jnr in contention for a game in round one.  McKay, Cuningham and Silvagni will have the opportunity to present their case for selection by demonstrating their readiness in the NBs and/or development squad.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24

Touhy Jammo Weitering
Docherty Plowman Simpson
Buckley Gibbs E.Curnow
C.Curnow Jaksch Walker
Everitt Casboult Lamb

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy

I think that's pretty close to what I'd have.  With the selection of Wright he'd play before Lamb and I think Buckley will start back. And I'm glad you put Boekhorst there.  Has to be played so we can see what he's got.  I'm going to take a punt early on and guess that  D. Rainbow is headed for the delist bin.

I also agree with the comment above that they'll probably play two ruckman though not sure who'd get swapped out to make that happen - possibly Walker.

Reply #25
Kerridge, Plowman are probably certain to start from round 1 with Charlie Curnow and Weitering. Haven't seen enough from Sumner, Lamb to comment on them just yet. I figure McKay will be in and out at times. Most of how we start each game will depend on injuries and who we are up against.

What is most important to us is to have all the senior players fit and ready to start from week 1. Kreuzer,  Cripps, Thomas, Docherty, Murphy, Gibbs, E Curnow, Jamo, Rowe, Jakcsh, Walker, Everitt, Casboult, Buckley, Touhy, Armfield and White are our main players with enough senior games in them to mentor the newbies. We need as many of these guys around the kids to help them develop during matches.

I'm not sure yet on the remaining players like Boeky, Graham, Tutt and the rest. I would however want to see more from Sheehan and Byrnes. They can both play and play like leaders.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #26
Personally, unless desperate I wouldn't be playing Rowe, Jones, Tutt or White next year.  Those four are not the future of the club.  Army would be next on the list but I actually liked his endeavour last year and I was glad we resigned him.

Reply #27
Personally, unless desperate I wouldn't be playing Rowe, Jones, Tutt or White next year.  Those four are not the future of the club.  Army would be next on the list but I actually liked his endeavour last year and I was glad we resigned him.

We agree twice in the one night!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #29

Touhy Jammo Weitering
Docherty Plowman Simpson
Buckley Gibbs E.Curnow
C.Curnow Jaksch Walker
Everitt Casboult Lamb

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy

Plowman is a half back flanker with ambitions to play in the midfield and I doubt whether he'd hold down centre half back.  He would be a third tall at best and I reckon Simon White may have the edge on him.

Similarly, Jaksch is a third tall and is not strong enough to play as centre half forward.  I think he will be competing with Walker, Everitt and Curnow jnr, for one of possibly two spots.

With four on the bench and reduced interchanges, we'll probably go with two ruckmen and follow Hawthorn's tactic of resting midfielders in the forward line.

My line up would be:

Buckley Jamison  White
Docherty  Weitering  Tuohy
Simpson  E Curnow  Everitt
Gibbs  Casboult  Walker
Kerridge  C Curnow  Phillips

Thomas  Boekhorst  Graham  Plowman

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball