Skip to main content
Topic: Team Selection Policy In 2016 (Read 21085 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Team Selection Policy In 2016

Reply #30
Not a bad place for Buckley to play with his pace and run.

He has poor aerobic capacity, during pre-season he was left gasping by Kerridge one session and then Casey Byrnes the next!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
I've always believed the best 22, but allowing for team structure, should play.

Once pre-season is over, it doesn't matter how old you are, how many years you have been at the club or what draft pick number you were. The best 22 play, and if you want to break into the side, then you had better be playing out of your skin in the seconds week in and week out.
Never gift a game to anyone, everyone has to earn their spot. At the same time, if someone is knocking the door down in the seconds, they need to be given a chance.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #32

Once pre-season is over, it doesn't matter how old you are, how many years you have been at the club or what draft pick number you were. The best 22 play, and if you want to break into the side, then you had better be playing out of your skin in the seconds week in and week out.
Never gift a game to anyone, everyone has to earn their spot. At the same time, if someone is knocking the door down in the seconds, they need to be given a chance.

A novel idea but it may just work!

The only adjustment I would make is the capacity to tailor the best 22 to suit the conditions and opposition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33

That's how I see it Amers. Those principles are straight forward and easy for players to understand so they each know exactly what they have to do to earn a game. Nothing's guarateed though as there may be another guy doing them better than you!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34

Yep Agree with this.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
He has poor aerobic capacity, during pre-season he was left gasping by Kerridge one session and then Casey Byrnes the next!

November!

Could end up the small forward too. In that case then I'd bring Bryne in.

Reply #36
Herald Sun Super Coach nominated our 'Best 22'

BEST 22

B: L.Plowman, M.Jamison, Z.Tuohy

HB: S.Docherty, S.Rowe, K.Simpson

C: D.Buckley, P.Cripps, E.Curnow

HF: N.Graham, A.Everitt, A.Walker

F: C.Curnow, L.Casboult, D.Thomas

Foll: M.Kreuzer, M.Murphy (c), B.Gibbs

I/C: S.Kerridge, J.Weitering, S.White, D.Cuningham

Emerg: C.Wood, D.Armfield, M.Wright

No Boekhurst, and they obviously don't rate either Irish lad waiting in the wings.

Reply #37
Hard to see Cunningham being selected ahead of Boekhorst.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #38
Herald Sun Super Coach nominated our 'Best 22'

BEST 22

B: L.Plowman, M.Jamison, Z.Tuohy

HB: S.Docherty, S.Rowe, K.Simpson

C: D.Buckley, P.Cripps, E.Curnow

HF: N.Graham, A.Everitt, A.Walker

F: C.Curnow, L.Casboult, D.Thomas

Foll: M.Kreuzer, M.Murphy (c), B.Gibbs

I/C: S.Kerridge, J.Weitering, S.White, D.Cuningham

Emerg: C.Wood, D.Armfield, M.Wright

No Boekhurst, and they obviously don't rate either Irish lad waiting in the wings.
I dont know who the journo is but Im guessing he/she wouldnt know Sheehan or Byrne from a bar of soap. They are very highly rated internally, make no mistake that if they are injury free and fit, they will play senior footy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
Hard to see Cunningham being selected ahead of Boekhorst.

Aye, stupid call. No respect to young Cuningham but he's a way off playing senior footy.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
Aye, stupid call. No respect to young Cuningham but he's a way off playing senior footy.

The best 22 can only ever be pure speculation at this stage of the year - well for 5 or 6 of them anyway.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
Pretty close I reckon. I'd swap Wright and C Curnow, and replace Cuningham with Boekhorst. Which defenders would you remove to create a spot for the Irish boys?

Reply #42
was Jon Ralph involved?

He's got a massive boner on for Boek to fail.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #43
I agree with GtC: the 2 Irish lads will be good enough to play if they are uninjured. They add pace to our midfield, and neither takes any crap. They may allow us to move Zac Tuohy into the midfield.

I must admit that I don't take much notice of the 'best 22': not only is it very early, but none of the scribes really know how the players are rated internally. Nor will we until it gets a LOT closer to the real season, in all probability. However, last year Byrne played all the preseason and would have started but for injury. He did well in his only game until he was hurt. Sheehan more than held his place at the end of 2014.

I expect the youngsters to get games and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them play a LOT of games, but to place a kid in our best a this point is pushing it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #44
I think this is the best place for Bolton's latest musings:

Asked whether Gibbs could become a consistently dominant player in 2016, Bolton said: "I'd really like to think that he could. His physical preparation has been a real positive."

"But our footy club needs to rely on more than just Bryce Gibbs and Marc Murphy and 'Kreuze' (Matthew Kreuzer), it's got to become more dense than that.

"Last year's draft was step one to help improve in that area, but it's going to take some time."

Stating the obvious perhaps, but Bolton will be expecting others to step up.

His thoughts on Kreuzer and the other talls are interesting too:

Bolton said Kreuzer's troublesome right foot had given him no problems this summer, as he looks set to complete his first full pre-season in years.

The Blues coach is yet to decide whether the 200cm big man is best suited to the ruck or forward line, but believes his versatility will be a significant asset.

"We know Kreuze is a really high draft pick and he has talent, but we're pushing systems," Bolton said.

"Andrew Phillips, Kreuze, Levi Casboult, Daniel Gorringe are all key forwards who can hit in the ruck, so I think we'll have a mix and a blend of them working as a system.

"I'm going to suspend judgment (on Kreuzer's best position). I want to see him within our system, but I think he can have impact both in the ruck and as a forward because he's so mobile for a big guy."

Rucks who can play forward and/or forwards who can ruck have been part of the Hawthorn "system" and it seems that Bolton will follow a similar approach.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball