Skip to main content
Topic: Team Selection Policy In 2016 (Read 20281 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Team Selection Policy In 2016

Reply #45
Casboult as the tall forward, Kreuz in the ruck, Phillips as 2nd ruck/forward, Everitt as the 3rd tall.

The exciting part for me is having Walker down there as a 4th tall, he could be in for another 50 goal year !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #46
I think this is the best place for Bolton's latest musings:

Stating the obvious perhaps, but Bolton will be expecting others to step up.

His thoughts on Kreuzer and the other talls are interesting too:

Rucks who can play forward and/or forwards who can ruck have been part of the Hawthorn "system" and it seems that Bolton will follow a similar approach.

Kreuzer is not a forward, never was and never will be, he is either a ruck or a ruck rover end of story.

I think some of Kreuzers very best stoppage work came about when he was ruck roving to either Hampson or Warnock inside F50, not unlike what Roughead does for Hawthorn on occasions.

When blokes that size get momentum around a pack and the tap works out in their general direction it's very hard to prevent them from getting a clean possession away. And if the tap doesn't work they tend to hit opponents very hard, you don't see blokes breaking away from a Kreuzer tackle in the way they shrug off a Carrazzo, Murphy or Gibbs. Imagine Cripps and Murphy set free next to a marauding Kreuzer.

The only other place they should try and play Kreuzer is on a wing in Gehrig style. Opposition clubs will be forced to put a monster defender or other ruckmen on him but most won't have the capacity to keep running with him. Further he still gets to rove stoppages from that position, you can have him at most stoppages between CHB and CHF.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Rucks who can play forward and/or forwards who can ruck have been part of the Hawthorn "system" and it seems that Bolton will follow a similar approach.

We've been trying to do this since 2009 and it hasn't really worked for us. Maybe BB can work some magic but it will be a long journey to get it right IMO (probably means new players in those roles)

Reply #48
We've been trying to do this since 2009 and it hasn't really worked for us. Maybe BB can work some magic but it will be a long journey to get it right IMO (probably means new players in those roles)

Very true, and I think that Phillips and Gorringe were recruited because they can go forward, take marks and kick goals.  Kreuzer could do that too, earlier in his career, and probably can still if given the opportunity and good delivery. 

It's probably a combination of talls with ability and ball movement and structures that enable them to capitalise on that ability.  It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Kreuzer is not a forward, never was and never will be, he is either a ruck or a ruck rover end of story.

I think some of Kreuzers very best stoppage work came about when he was ruck roving to either Hampson or Warnock inside F50, not unlike what Roughead does for Hawthorn on occasions.

When blokes that size get momentum around a pack and the tap works out in their general direction it's very hard to prevent them from getting a clean possession away. And if the tap doesn't work they tend to hit opponents very hard, you don't see blokes breaking away from a Kreuzer tackle in the way they shrug off a Carrazzo, Murphy or Gibbs. Imagine Cripps and Murphy set free next to a marauding Kreuzer.

The only other place they should try and play Kreuzer is on a wing in Gehrig style. Opposition clubs will be forced to put a monster defender or other ruckmen on him but most won't have the capacity to keep running with him. Further he still gets to rove stoppages from that position, you can have him at most stoppages between CHB and CHF.

Like   :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #50
Very true, and I think that Phillips and Gorringe were recruited because they can go forward, take marks and kick goals.  Kreuzer could do that too, earlier in his career, and probably can still if given the opportunity and good delivery. 

It's probably a combination of talls with ability and ball movement and structures that enable them to capitalise on that ability.  It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Good delivery is essential but I think he will be more useful on the ball with only the occasional foray forward. I guess we'll have to wait and see how BB wants to use him - I think it could be interesting.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
Good delivery is essential but I think he will be more useful on the ball with only the occasional foray forward. I guess we'll have to wait and see how BB wants to use him - I think it could be interesting.

Most long range delivery into the forward line is just average, good forwards deal with that. Better teams move the ball quickly and hit 30m to 40m targets rather than kicking 50m bombs. 30m ~ 40m passes suit fast moving agile forwards, not ruckmen resting inside F50. Also in the 20m ~ 30m range the forward only needs a step to break away from the defender, at 50m they need to get clear by 2 or 3 steps as bare minimum.

Carlton's delivery into the forward line has been downright poor and it needs a fix. But this concept of needing "Good Delivery" can be a bit of an excuse for blokes who don't know how to play forward or are not suited to the role.

Fev used to rave about Hoops delivery into the forward line, buts Hoops was only responsible for a very small percentage of Fev's goals and as we know Fev kicked plenty. Primarily Fev just wanted the ball delivered in the general direction of some space" in front of him" and as quickly as possible, he did the rest.

If you go back and watch our forward delivery over the last 4 ~ 5 years you'll see us kicking over the head of the leading forward to Betts or Garlett running into the goal-square which in my opinion is not a finals winning strategy and easily circumvented when required! Our "Plan B" seemed to be to kick the ball 50m onto the head of a ruckmen and let Betts fly for the mark against them instead of staying on the deck for the crumbs. I am not sure how much of that was planned and how much was mates looking after mates, I suspect a bit of both which is why I think our delivery was shizen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
@LP

LP, I think good delivery is simply the sort that suits the capabilities of your forwards and that they can score from on a consistent and reliable basis. No point providing any other kind of delivery that doesn't do that?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53
@LP

LP, I think good delivery is simply the sort that suits the capabilities of your forwards and that they can score from on a consistent and reliable basis. No point providing any other kind of delivery that doesn't do that?

I heard a King analysis last year that said we are statistically one of the best performing clubs at entering F50, but our percentage of scores from entries is very poor and the ratio of opposition scoring from our failed F50 entries was one of the highest if not the highest in the AFL.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
I heard a King analysis last year that said we are statistically one of the best performing clubs at entering F50, but our percentage of scores from entries is very poor and the ratio of opposition scoring from our failed F50 entries was one of the highest if not the highest in the AFL.

That's what happens when you bomb the ball along the boundary.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!