Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 78306 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #315
Would you have Robinson back if he was available for a reasonable price, he's only 26?

No and I was a big Robbo fan.

You'd expect that his departure wasn't simply based on those off field indiscretions and Malthouse alone. In Juddy's book he is candid in his assessment of our playing list, which I am sure would be reflected by others inside the leadership group.

On his arrival at Carlton
Some players were not in the least interested in trying to set a course to win a premiership or so it seemed to me. These players were a minority, but it was a big enough minority to be distabilising.

On the start of the 2015 season.
Our list had been turned over by some 10 or 11 players. Some of those who had left were good guys, dependable teammates and solid citizens who simply weren't capable of playing good enough footy to stay. Brock McLean was one. Others I wasn't so displeased when they were shown the door.

Of course I am speculating, but you couldn't say that Mitch wasn't capable of playing good enough football to stay.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #316
No and I was a big Robbo fan.

You'd expect that his departure wasn't simply based on those off field indiscretions and Malthouse alone. In Juddy's book he is candid in his assessment of our playing list, which I am sure would be reflected by others inside the leadership group.

On his arrival at Carlton

On the start of the 2015 season.

Of course I am speculating, but you couldn't say that Mitch wasn't capable of playing good enough football to stay.

Judd's arrival comments are not related to Robinson, he wasn't there.

I suspect the other comments could easily relate to Bootsma, Lucas, Betts and Garlett. I think the chapter you refer to discusses work ethic at training and doing the right thing to get yourself in shape for game day. Robinson was always regarded as a hard worker on the training track, I am not sure you can put him in the soft trainers basket.

If you had a choice between Daisy in 2017 and Robinson what would you do?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #318
Would you have Robinson back if he was available for a reasonable price, he's only 26?

No...while he was more aggressive in his attack on the footy than most his skills let him and the team down too often, loved his passion and its hard not to want him back given we are the softest team in the comp but we need a new Robbo with improved skills....

The player I want back is Eddie Betts.....

Reply #319
Judd's arrival comments are not related to Robinson, he wasn't there.

I suspect the other comments could easily relate to Bootsma, Lucas, Betts and Garlett. I think the chapter you refer to discusses work ethic at training and doing the right thing to get yourself in shape for game day. Robinson was always regarded as a hard worker on the training track, I am not sure you can put him in the soft trainers basket.

If you had a choice between Daisy in 2017 and Robinson what would you do?

I included the arrival comments because they highlighted a distabilising culture that already existed. One into which a young and impressionable player could easily fall.

The chapter I refer to suggests that "getting a new contract was far more important than team success for these guys." As I said I was a Robbo fan but I'm not sold on the idea that he was the consummate team player and that is what sealed his fate. His off field behaviour wasn't the catalyst but it sealed the deal.

As for a choice between Robbo and Daisy. Lets just see out Daisy's contract and be done with it. It's a new era.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #320
A most premature statement, I know but imagine what a 22 year old Sam Kerridge might be like in 3 years time in terms of leadership potential. There just seems to be something special about him, even at this early stage!!

Reply #321
Disposal a little sloppy as mentioned but so was Andy Carrazzo's when he first came over. Easily in the 22 on that performance.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #322
Disposal a little sloppy as mentioned but so was Andy Carrazzo's when he first came over. Easily in the 22 on that performance.

Agree but I think we were a bit rough around the edges generally. What I like is that we seem to be building a structure and gameplan which will allow us to refine our skills over time and I'm expecting us to improve as the year progresses. Kerridge is a very promising recruit for us and one that should help greatly in building the team culture.
Reality always wins in the end.