Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne in Hobart (Read 32083 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne in Hobart

Reply #150
Our boy can’t kick! It’s stupendous that we picked a kid at #3 and he can’t kick. Call me crazy but I fear we may have made a grave error.

I think we should give him 20 or 30 games in the seniors before we judge.

Reply #151

Should he be learning how to kick in the seniors? The young mans confidence is shattered  at the moment. Ziebell the thug will probably flatten him on Saturday because we can’t protect our youngin.

Reply #152
Should he be learning how to kick in the seniors? The young mans confidence is shattered  at the moment. Ziebell the thug will probably flatten him on Saturday because we can’t protect our youngin.

Lack of midfield depth is not his fault, and neither is playing in an under performing team. His kicking is generally pretty good, from what I've seen. You won't find too many of our players that can hold their heads high after those 3 games.

Reply #153
Our boy can’t kick! It’s stupendous that we picked a kid at #3 and he can’t kick. Call me crazy but I fear we may have made a grave error.

That's what they said about you know who! :o

As long as we don't take another 8 to 10 years to make the call! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #155

Kicking wasnt his strong point at TAC level, have pointed it out myself he misses easy targets and can be wasteful in front of goal but so does Cripps and another bloke called Judd wasnt great by foot either.
Dows strength is his running, contesting and ball winning and the way he can accelerate out of contests, think the recruiting of Obrien compliments Dow as Obrien is an excellent kick, good decision maker but lacks Dows contesting ability and acceleration. Dow to Obrien would be a good combo for CFC if it happens a lot in games..
Its very hard to get the perfect footballer, even Dangerfield sprays them into the forward 50, .......a young Pendlebury is probably the type of player we lack, good in close/heavy traffic with his evasive skills but very dangerous in the open creating for others and reliable in front of goal...

Reply #156
Kicking wasnt his strong point at TAC level, have pointed it out myself he misses easy targets and can be wasteful in front of goal but so does Cripps and another bloke called Judd wasnt great by foot either.
Dows strength is his running, contesting and ball winning and the way he can accelerate out of contests, think the recruiting of Obrien compliments Dow as Obrien is an excellent kick, good decision maker but lacks Dows contesting ability and acceleration. Dow to Obrien would be a good combo for CFC if it happens a lot in games..
Its very hard to get the perfect footballer, even Dangerfield sprays them into the forward 50, .......a young Pendlebury is probably the type of player we lack, good in close/heavy traffic with his evasive skills but very dangerous in the open creating for others and reliable in front of goal...

I reckon you're right, except what little I've seen his kicking is better than Judd's. He is like a Judd junior.

Reply #157
What would the world do without your insight....

Be forced to listen to you proclaiming how we are finals bound every year??

Reply #158
Re Dow's kicking, he seems to be rushed at the moment, still only 3 games in and he is getting used to the speed of the game, I think as he starts to feel more comfortable at AFl level he will be more composed and will kick the ball better than what we have seen so far

Reply #159
It's a fair point
Height is only one variable, and if were talking centimetres....leap, reach, weight, strength, maturity, speed all have a bearing.

In the first couple of weeks our guys seem to have been out-bodied and out positioned many times by shorter players.

Form, confidence, awareness and effort are other factors.
All seem to be in play at present.

Some are fixable short term...others may require a season or two of experience, training and maturity.
Still others will be measured and found wanting.

Height is only a variable. My 'argument' has been simplified to too many talls.

In reality, the argument is generally that the opposition have too many quick smalls. A subtle difference. One that highlights the fact that some of our talls, specifically Weitering, cannot mind one of the many smalls that we often come up against....and even some of the quicker talls. Basically, we usually need more 'small forward minders' in our side.

Weiterings lack of acceleration, speed and agility is more of a factor than his height and i have stressed that previously.

FWIW, this week i think the matchups work a bit better for Weitering. Would still have preferred Marchbank in the side instead of Oshea. Which BTW is listed as 197, not 193 as quoted earlier. Meaning his matchup with Atley has 8cm difference, which in itself isn't a huge issue, but almost always means that Atley will be quicker and more agile as a result. I know Oshea can play smaller than his size suggests, but have not had a look at that under the microscope of AFL footy much as yet.

Reply #160
Re Dow's kicking, he seems to be rushed at the moment, still only 3 games in and he is getting used to the speed of the game, I think as he starts to feel more comfortable at AFl level he will be more composed and will kick the ball better than what we have seen so far

His three game stats are better than many debutantes...including Cripps.
Kade Simpson had donuts.
Time!

Reply #161

In reality, the argument is generally that the opposition have too many quick smalls. A subtle difference. One that highlights the fact that some of our talls, specifically Weitering, cannot mind one of the many smalls that we often come up against....and even some of the quicker talls. Basically, we usually need more 'small forward minders' in our side.

Weiterings lack of acceleration, speed and agility is more of a factor than his height and i have stressed that previously.

FWIW, this week i think the matchups work a bit better for Weitering. Would still have preferred Marchbank in the side instead of Oshea. Which BTW is listed as 197, not 193 as quoted earlier. Meaning his matchup with Atley has 8cm difference, which in itself isn't a huge issue, but almost always means that Atley will be quicker and more agile as a result. I know Oshea can play smaller than his size suggests, but have not had a look at that under the microscope of AFL footy much as yet.

Yep
....but speed is also only another variable.
Our blokes being outbodied, pushed off the ball, tackles broken etc means we're also lightbodied and 'weak' in comparison to many of the opposition.
It's another area where Weitering and others are struggling at the moment.
That may need another year or two of physical development....or it might never come!

Reply #162

O’Shea’s height is listed as 193cm on the club website, FootyWire, Wikipedia and in an article about his delisting by Port.  However, I have seen the erroneous 197cm height mentioned from time to time.

Oppositions having too many quick smalls isn’t a problem for the defence, it’s all over the ground.  Perhaps one of our most telling problems is the lack of a small forward able to run down defenders and win free kicks inside 50.  Our lack of pace in the midfield enables opposition players to run through the corridor and deliver to their forwards’ advantage.  The height/speed of our defenders is largely irrelevant when the ball comes in so quickly ... and it usually happens as a result of a shallow, misdirected forward 50 entry.

I’m not convinced that our defence is too tall/slow but there are other issues, such as lack of experienced midfielders (I didn’t think we’d miss Gibbs as much), that are more critical.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #163
I’m not convinced that our defence is too tall/slow but there are other issues, such as lack of experienced midfielders (I didn’t think we’d miss Gibbs as much), that are more critical.

I'm not saying our midfield doesn't have problems, they do.
Our forwards have problems too.

Both of the above are basically due to the fact we have a lack of options in those areas.

The reason i talk about our backline is because unlike the other 2 areas, our problem is picking a balanced backline from the abundance of defenders we have on our list. Its a different issue to the other areas.

Yep
....but speed is also only another variable.
Our blokes being outbodied, pushed off the ball, tackles broken etc means we're also lightbodied and 'weak' in comparison to many of the opposition.
It's another area where Weitering and others are struggling at the moment.
That may need another year or two of physical development....or it might never come!

Yes, speed is another variable.

As i've said, its about matchups. More often than not its height and/or speed that means we don't have the right players/matchups. I'd argue that those 2 are key factors for picking a backline.

If you are too small to spoil a tall forward, it doesn't matter how quick you are.
If you are too slow to keep up with an opponent leading/running with the ball, it doesn't matter how tall you are.

Sure, other areas help define ideal matchups, as you've mentioned, but if we can't get the basics right, what hope do we have?

Reply #164
No real argument Kruds other than I'd give equal weight to "body on body" strength.
It's what made Stephen Silvagni so hard to play on.
While not super huge in the upper body he had great lower body power.