Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Pre-Game Pessimism: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 19278 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Pre-Game Pessimism: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #75
Cuningham is the captain of frustration or teasing. His good is very good and he really does excite from time to time but he is such a liability when he has one of those many fade outs/lapses during games... and he does it in every game he plays - just goes missing, not to mention his defensive game is cause for concern.

I gave him a vote after the last game because of his 'glimpses', they are special. In an ideal world, he'd be an outside mid / half forward... but at present, even with his highly skilled moments, his big lapses make him a luxury we can't afford.

This side looks better, more in-form blokes. 2 blokes carrying injuries -- Kreuzer/Kennedy -- and 1 bloke's head not right -- Weitering -- are out of the side. Good. They all need to get themselves right.

Disappointed H got the nod in front of Kerr, who has shown better form in the twos. I wonder if we're playing H just to shut everyone up. Boy I hope he shows something. But might as well experiment, nothing to lose... so to speak.

With more experienced blokes coming in you'd expect us to be beaten by around 50 pts instead of around 90 pts.

Agree on Harry, reckon thats a media get off my back about Harry selection.....if he does great then "I am a genius", if he fails bad then its "I told you so"....
Kerr should get a game in the next couple of weeks, might be exciting seeing them both play together with a young bloke called Jack.....

Reply #76
Bolton said he wants the kids to play together....but drops cuningham.
Bolton said Harry isn't ready and wants him to prove himself...but picks him despite an ordinary showing.

Makes sense.

Not his finest moments.

I'm hoping he's doing with Cunningham what he did with jsos. 

Dropped to learn another role and then brought back quickly enough.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #77
Unfortunately, we're still at the level where even against a middling team like the Cokers, we need too many fuzzy factors going our way - a couple of their players not in the team, JK has a night to forget, they don't play well at the G, Curnow or Harry or Levi play a blinder, rub of the green from the umps etc.

Failing a win, I'd settle for an honorable loss.

Reply #78
Failing a win, I'd settle for an honorable loss.

I'd settle for anything less than 50 points, but I don't like my chances.  :'(
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #79
West Coast don't play well at the G....so we must be some kind of a chance. Maybe not half a chance, but a quarter of a chance?
Does that mean we'll play one good quarter, drop off and lose the rest?

Reply #80
How McKay gets a game in front of Kerr escapes me.  I get the feeling the club has been pressured into this,  but it is time to see what he's made of - good luck to him. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #81
What we don't want to do is catastrophize.

Reply #82
How McKay gets a game in front of Kerr escapes me.  I get the feeling the club has been pressured into this,  but it is time to see what he's made of - good luck to him.
Strange selection indeed. Lets see what happens, good luck young man, take your chances and make the spot yours.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
That’s one of the worst Carlton sides for 30 years - we’ll get absolutely hammered. VFL side.

Reply #84
Blues by 20.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #86

Feels like that but I am looking forward to seeing him get a go. As you say, good luck to him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #87

Me too Prof.

Now that Harry's there though, nothing would please me more than seeing him grab the chance and do well.
Kerr will get his chance soon.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #88
Seeing the players in this weeks Teague Mic'd up video I didn't notice Kerr training.

Good thing though, spirits seem high, that is what is needed, put the past to bed move forward as quickly as possible let the coaches deal with the potholes and fractures.

One thing BB can do at pressers is start deflecting questions about past results and rephrase answers to discuss the next game, it's dead-set easy to do as long as you are thinking straight. It'll initially annoy the hell out of the media, but eventually it will turn him into a top priority interview target like MM, they'll go to him first even when we do not win as they think of it as a challenge!

That will help remove the pressure from the players and coaches and set the tone for the week, then you won't frequently get weak minded media mongrels hack away at the team all week long, like this week Niall folded under pressure and slipped into the lowbrow cheap seat spin publishing articles about how Gibbs is flying right next to articles about Kreuzer's injury. He's obviously under pressure from above, or has had a bad week in the ratings!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89
It astounds me that so many people on this site have the same thoughts on our selections and yet the MC make changes that are bamboozling at best. What a joke. Cunningham out, Mullett survives pffffft. I've got a feeling that Josh Kennedy will kick more goals than out entire team. We have zero chance of winning this one.