Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Pre-Game Pessimism: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 19082 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Pre-Game Pessimism: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #90
It astounds me that so many people on this site have the same thoughts on our selections and yet the MC make changes that are bamboozling at best. What a joke. Cunningham out, Mullett survives pffffft. I've got a feeling that Josh Kennedy will kick more goals than out entire team. We have zero chance of winning this one.

They seem strange to us no doubt....but we have to take into account that they are making these selections with much greater information than we have in terms of the players physical condition, the plans for the development of individual players... and also the greater (long term) team plans.

It may be that Cunningham was always scheduled to miss this round as part of a rotation.
It may be that they want tor try a different combination or match tactic.
Perish the thought...but there may even be some players being used as "cannon fodder". They'll hold down a senior place until a younger player is ready to step up. They're not part of the long term plan but they provide a bit of experience and a bigger body in the short term.

A gutsy approach....sacrificing results, or at least a good showing, against development.
I have to believe that the coaching group /list management/match committee are  holding firm and sticking to a plan despite the outside noise.
Because the alternative is..."They haven't got a clue and are just winging it... hoping it will come good!"

Reply #91
Agree Lods. The MC are human, and will stuff it up from time to time. But surely not week after week after week ? I'm sure they know enough about football to see what we see, plus a whole lot more.

Reply #92
Agree Lods. The MC are human, and will stuff it up from time to time. But surely not week after week after week ? I'm sure they know enough about football to see what we see, plus a whole lot more.

And that, my friend, is why they are the match committee and we are restricted to expressing opinions on a footy forum   :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #93
the perfect scenario for a "rocky" win. Back against the wall, senior players out, opponent that thinks they cant lose yet play mcg poorly. We're a chance! The young kids have one game in them every season where they play out of their skin. Last year was GWS, this could be another one

Reply #94
Given the changes I expect a significant switch in game plan.

Which makes McKay's selection even more bizarre because he is likely to be starved of opportunity in what could be a dour low scoring flooding affair! You'd think McKay's presence demands attacking fast ball movement.

I suspect Kerr must have a niggle, we may never know because the NBs have a bye this week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
Cuningham not playing and being omitted is a bloody down right disgrace! Of the highest order!!! Is this a joke by Bolton and his match committee? Are they taking the p!ss? Am I missing something here? He has not even been named as an emergency! Bolton is having a lend surely?!

Otherwise, the other changes were exactly how I went mid week when speaking with a mate.

Think, we must play more man on man, keepings off, possession football. We are not ready for this 'free wheeling' attacking offense style of footy that Bolton has been romanced into by the media over summer. Talk about being persuaded by outside noise!

And last week, Harry McKay was not ready according to Bolton and not going to be gifted a senior AFL game. Then due to the out pouring of emotion from fans and jounos that Bolton must play him, from during the week, then what happens? McKay in. Bowing to public pressure again.

Look, I want McKay in but I can not have a senior coach bloody well bowing to public pressure, fans on talkback and wankers like Robbo taking king hits at us every single bloody day. Feel there is some flipping going on with Bolton and the match committee.

By the way, that 'double page spread' in the HS on Tuesday was absolute sh1T. Is that Cavanagh bloke actually being paid money fore listing players? Surely that was the work of a year 4 student with an AFL Record in front of him/her. He literally just listed them with Super Coach points or some such rubbish next to their names. Hahahahahaha! Joke yet again by the worst media outlet in Australia. Though, what do you expect when your Head of Football writing is Mark Robinson! Really, anyone could list who we drafted/traded with no actual story or being able to articulate any point or view on the player listings. Incredible 'journalism' right there! Wow!

Also, where in the world is Cain Liddle? Is he still our CEO at Carlton? Can't believe the little amount of strong leadership going on down there! Scary!

There, rant over!   ;) ;D

Reply #96
Sorry Lods, I don't buy some rotation scheme,  sounds too organised for our mob.   SPS,  Willow,  Writers all played last year if available,  can't see that changing this year unless they are injured or firm is poor.

I suspect Cunners  has been dropped to teach him consistentcy in workmate - hope he gets the message because he can play.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #98
Nick Graham must be feeling absolutely stooged.

Imagine coming in at the last possible moment for Marc Murphy, and then dropped a week later.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #99
If he's feeling any pressure he's handling it pretty well...even taking the piss out of himself with the McKay stuff ;D

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2018-04-20/bolton-previews-west-coast-clash

Whatever it is that's going on in the club and what the dynamics may be, it seems that, OK the club would dearly love a win, but player development and further "list management" are priorities for this year.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #100
If he's feeling any pressure he's handling it pretty well...even taking the piss out of himself with the McKay stuff ;D

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2018-04-20/bolton-previews-west-coast-clash

Just had a listen - he sounds exactly like he does in his post match pressers, which is fine with me. Still not seeing a problem.

Reply #101
I wish the club would make audio only links available for download because our corporate network security blocks streaming.

We can download video and audio files and play them, but we cannot stream videos, we can sometimes stream audio.

Seems odd but that is the way it works, I wonder if others have similar issues! Allegedly it is to do with bandwidth, people walk away from their workstation and leave videos streaming which destroys the bandwidth for everybody else as each stream is unique. As opposed to downloading, which puts a file in the local server cache and everybody who listens to it gets the local security cleared version. Not sure if that is true, but it's how it was explained to me.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
Now that McKay is in, what would we consider a pass make for him, come 7:10 tomorrow evening????

Reply #103
Now that McKay is in, what would we consider a pass make for him, come 7:10 tomorrow evening????

2 goals
10+ possessions
4 tackles
Plenty of 1%ers, one or two big shepherds.
Repeat leads, working his ar5e off between F50 and the wing
A run down tackle! ;D
Some highlights of his ground level ability.
Use of his bulk, make defenders nervous!

I know he can mark, I don't care if he clunks some or not as long as I see the stuff we lack, we have plenty of clunkers who give us NADA!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
Effort, and nothing less.
I want to see him making leads (repeatedly, not just one offs), I want him chasing defensively and I want him moving in the forward 50 making room for others.
I don't care how many he kicks, if he isn't doing those things he won't make an impact longer term. If he is doing those things, and he has any ability, he will go alright long term.