Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 24649 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #45
Shows you how well we’ve been travelling if he can finish in the top 10 of a B&F......

5th Simpson (103 votes)
6th Wright (96 votes)
7th Plowman (95 votes)

Credit where credit is due. He finished only 8 votes behind simpson and played 1 less game.

You going to bag out Simmo to help your argument or are you going to concede that Plowman isn't as bad as you suggest?

Reply #46
I queried his diminutive size when drafted but Fisher has proved to be an astute selection.

Dow will be the same, the little blokes who do well against bigger bodies.

btw., Dow must have had at least half-a-dozen clearances today!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Watch McKay's second goal.  His mark was from a beautifully delivered ball from Fisher,  off one step in congestion.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #48
Agree to disagree......no poise whatsoever, absolute panic-merchant, makes bad decisions & his disposal is fair at best. How he got picked @ #3 in any draft, words fail me. Just a plodder at best, give me a fix Alex Silvagni over that spud any day of the week.

Plowman has been average all year IMO, looks disinterested at times......Alex Silvagni gives us some grunt but is at the end of his career, as is Rowe but we look better when they are playing and giving guidance.
Rowe was good today and freed Jones up from the stress of JK but thats a short term strategy, dare I say that Weitering out also made us look more composed down back....bad enough with Plowman out of  form, and  OShea kicking the ball straight back to the opposition, but if we added Weitering to the mix we might have lost by a lot more.
Thomas has added some experience down back and Mullet wasnt anything special but I didnt notice him stuffing up as much in the past and he did hit a few targets...

Reply #49
Haven't seen or heard the game, but from all accounts positive besides the loss. Love your thoughts on.    Did Jones regain his for partly from having Rowe back, bigger bodied defender? Daisy again had good numbers how was his game? Dow seems to be doing well early, but faded? cheers

Reply #50
I was disappointed with the result but not really surprised; Wet Toast are on top of the live ladder, have an impressive list and are well coached.  However, consistent umpiring could have seen us in with chance.

For me, today was a glimpse of the future with Harry McKay booting 4 goals, Patrick Cripps playing a great captain’s game (after an unimpressive effort last game) and Charlie Curnow, Fisher, Dow, O’Brien, Samo, SOJ and Garlett all contributing. Phillips did OK too.

Jones was back to his best and Rowe did well for an underdone key defender (who was it who said we had too many tall defenders? ???? )

Last of all, I want to acknowledge Bolts who showed that he is head and shoulders above the so-called footy experts (how does Jonathan Brown get to criticise someone’s expression?) and can get the most out of a young, inexperienced list.

There’s a long way to go but at least we’re on the right track.

^^^^^^ all of the above.

Good post DJC. Says it all for me.

Very good effort from a young and inexperienced group.

Stick fat. We are on the way.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #51
Umpiring was atrocious again. Umpire 32 killed us! As far as the game, Big H was right in front of me when he kicked the banana. Get excited blue baggers. I think we were witnes to the start of something special. SOJ looked out of sorts, lost at times. I’m afraid he won’t make it. LOB played ok, still a little nervous when kicking. Simon and Rowe were solid. Plowman has a shocker but he made an effort every time. He does have a resting bitch face though lol.
Dow, starting to make his mark but needs to build his tank. I am sick and tired of SPS pulling out of contests and going for the soft gets. Showed glimpses of brilliance but I don’t think we’ve found the right spot for him. O’Shea and mullet should play in the 2s and help develop the younger kids. Daisy was outstanding again. I felt for him, Lycett flattened him and the fella got back up and straight into the contest. Can’t doubt daisy’s Courage and heart. If I was Bolton I’d be replaying that for the team all week.
Cripps was a beast! Murphy has to resign the captaincy.... no need to wait.

Reply #52
Before commenting on the game just have to say I like anyone else at the game today witnessed the man who just HAS to be our leader from next year.

Haven’t seen a captains display like I saw today since Judd was at his peak.

Cripps willed himself on every contest, was inspirational, an absolute bull in tight who WC just couldn’t stop and then when he didn’t have the ball made his 11 tackles hurt the opposition.

He imposed himself every time the ball was in sight, and did everything in his power to get us the win.

Hate losing but he made me proud to be blues fan today.

Couldn’t agree more.
How some people think what Murphy dishes up is the stuff of a leader is laughable.
The fact that they didn’t appoint Cripps captain makes me very concerned. Far too conservative

Reply #53
Great to see the improvement and some fight in the players this week. I'd suggest that if we'd brought that readiness and intensity to the last three games against GC, Pies and North we might have won one or two games by now.

Do we have a shot against the Dogs next week?

Reply #54
Let's concentrate on dishing up consistent efforts week to week first,  wins will come if we do that.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #55
Great to see the improvement and some fight in the players this week. I'd suggest that if we'd brought that readiness and intensity to the last three games against GC, Pies and North we might have won one or two games by now.

Do we have a shot against the Dogs next week?

Depends which Carlton turns up.
Look, it's difficult for young blokes to maintain a consistency of effort but some of the poor efforts of previous weeks were put into perspective by yesterday's performance.
That's the minimum standard.
One of the things that help maintain that effort is the support around you and working for each other.
The addition of some more mature bodies like Rowe, Kerridge and Phillips no doubt helped draw the attention away from others.
These guys aren't superstars but they give an honest effort.
In fact, in some respects Phillips' first contest set the standard.

Reply #56
Just watching some highlights as I missed part of the game. we literally gave away a few goals through charitable donations. No doubt we should've won, just have to tidy up some areas and finish off qtrs. 8 out of their 10 goals came in time-on.

Essentially West Coast didn't "win" it, we lost it.

Reply #57
Things may change in the future, but at this point, Cripps as captain would be more akin to a "people's choice" award IMO. We judge him as spectators and fans, we see contest after contest, tackle after tackle, we get inspired, therefore we think he should be captain. I would imagine there's more to it than that, and I imagine the club would have processes in place to select the best candidate.

Bolton worked with arguably the best captain of the last 20 years at Hawthorn (equal with Voss IMO), so I reckon he would know a thing or two about what makes a good captain.

Reply #58
Cripps exceptional
Liked O'Briens game
Fisher good
McKay... the future
Phillips gave us a bit in the ruck too against big odds
Kudos to Thomas
Jones 16 1% ...his best game of the year...benefited from Rowe's presence
Rowe was the missing piece (or Alex Silvagni): it stops Jones being played on the wrong sort of opponent. It allowed Jones to play his game more and he did it very well.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #59
Rowe was the missing piece (or Alex Silvagni): it stops Jones being played on the wrong sort of opponent. It allowed Jones to play his game more and he did it very well.

Jones is better at that game than Marchbank, I believe when Marchbank is fit he should replace someone like Lamb rather than come back into defence.

Also in addition to Rowe, a big effect yesterday was the physical presence of Kerridge around packs and stoppages. You can see the effect it had on kids like Dow and O'Brien.

The Force Awakens!