Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 18: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 13167 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 18: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #15
Looking at the few positives from the Hawthorn game, Kennedy looked to be the player we wanted, playing tough uncompromising football with some skill and Poulson looked significantly better and got involved in the play more, played his heart out. Harry took 8 marks around the ground, just needed to kick at least two goals but still less than 10 games.

Lobbe has to go, Casboult stays as a decoy unfortunately and with Fisher/Jones gone, I would like to see a touch more run off half back, Lang and Lamb in for Fisher & Jones with Kruezer replacing Lobbe, I hope they leave Weitering as the main backman with Marchbank and surround them with runners take the game on, run hard and in waves. If we lose so what at least go out trying to win rather than stopping them. Play the extra back and surge forward.

How could you justify to any other player that Casboult stays in other than we simply have no one else fit?
You cannot drop Lobbe and keep Casboult.
Casboult did not try.
He ran around at quarter pace and made no effort at all.

Reply #16
Lobbe's numbers were pretty good for 1st game back in the big time for a long time, I had expected worse!

Statistically and metaphorically speaking, Casboult had less impact than Jones and Fisher! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Play Byrne and Schumacher,  bugger Casboult and Lobbe  off.   Rather play Kerr and Kreuzer,  if fit.

I agree, but Kerr didn't play in the VFL so Casboult probably flukes another game.
He was woeful yesterday.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #18
Schumacher in and TDK in for Levi. Nothing to lose now, give them senior experience. Schumacher was absolutely outstanding yesterday.

EDIT: TDK only just come back so there's no promoting him unfortunately.

Happy to just have Kreuzer and Harry rucking. Levi needs to go find form. We don't need 3 talls forward.

Reply #19
Play Byrne and Schumacher,  bugger Casboult and Lobbe  off.   Rather play Kerr and Kreuzer,  if fit.

so now we don’t need or want any senior support/guidance for the kids ?
So come November we’re just looking at more 18 yo’s ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #20
My post wasn't clear,  sorry about that,  but Kreuzer is clearly a keeper for what is left of his career.    However,  at this time of year,  I  would rather play a kid with upside rather than some list clogger who has already peaked.   The mature agers have to be good enough players in their own right to deserve a game before any talk of mentoring.

Here's eight blokes brought in or retained to assist the kids but are now list clog:

Casboult.  Not the future,  not good enough.
Graham
Shaw
Mullet
OShea.  Good NBs support.
Wright.  Game has gone past him.

A.  Silvagni.  Permanently injured.
Lobbe.  Apparently a good ruck mentor.

We need to do better,  and get a lot more,  from our mature bodies.  
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21
@ Prof

Interesting observation about Lobbe Prof. I suggested he would be a useful mentor when we signed him and was comprehensively howled down on here!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
My sources in Adelaide regaled him as being a damn good team-orientated bloke.  Regarded as a core player at the NBs but injuries seem to have knocked down his mobility and thus his utility at senior level.  He is still doing what he should be doing - mentoring kid and rucks and offering back up to the senior side as appropriate - but expecting him to play 20 senior games a season is unrealistic.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #23
My sources in Adelaide regaled him as being a damn good team-orientated bloke.  Regarded as a core player at the NBs but injuries seem to have knocked down his mobility and thus his utility at senior level.  He is still doing what he should be doing - mentoring kid and rucks and offering back up to the senior side as appropriate - but expecting him to play 20 senior games a season is unrealistic.

I don't get the Lobbe hate from the weekend, I thought he was OK for his first ever game in Navy Blue!

Rucks are only ever good when they are part of a rehearsed team that knows exactly who, where and when things have to happen. It's easy to bag the first gamer if he doesn't follow up with a 2nd effort, but he'd just be guessing and could easily clean up a team mate if he didn't know where they typically run, who's voice is who, etc., etc.. It's hard enough to get this right at training, without the noise of a 30000 crowd. As a first gamer he gets to pass mark despite hesitation and some shallow efforts, the guys who have been around the club for a decade don't!

A great example is SpecialK 2nd or even 3rd efforts, they are wasted if the other Mids do not know where and when to be to receive when SpecialK gets on a role, or if they get in his way!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
@ Prof

Interesting observation about Lobbe Prof. I suggested he would be a useful mentor when we signed him and was comprehensively howled down on here!

Cookie..Did a lot of instructional work vs Hawthorn did Lobbe so you were on the money, also provides a bit of physical presence as a he is big lump of a bloke....in fact I dont mind him as the No 1 ruck with maybe Kreuzer spending some time forward...bit over Levi..

Reply #25
Cookie..Did a lot of instructional work vs Hawthorn did Lobbe so you were on the money, also provides a bit of physical presence as a he is big lump of a bloke....in fact I dont mind him as the No 1 ruck with maybe Kreuzer spending some time forward...bit over Levi..

Thanks EB (and Prof). He doesn't cost us much so he is earning his keep atm.

Reply #26

Kreuzer has never done any good at all in that situation though. Kreuzer and McKay will do me. McKay won't be winning many taps, don't care anyway as we won't be winning any games,  but running around the ground is doing so much for his game. Might not have hit the scoreboard in his last 2 games but they have been his best games. That's more important than running around with 2 rucks, which has never suited Kreuzer.

Reply #27
I think we need to work out if Kreuzer is going on next year.
If he is, moth ball him. Get some games in to Lobbe. He was ok on the weekend, and I would rather him than a half fit Kreuzer, who may leave us one down again.

Reply #28
If he is, moth ball him. Get some games in to Lobbe. He was ok on the weekend, and I would rather him than a half fit Kreuzer, who may leave us one down again.

Makes a heap of sense to me.

Reply #29

I'd imagine he is. Not a bad idea though.