Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 35485 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #105
I went to the game today and saw the Swans do what they do year in and year out - use precision kicking and accurate handball under pressure, whether on the back line or forward line, to win the game.

On the other hand I saw Carlton, despite having so many first round picks, butcher the ball by hand and foot as they have on so many occasions this century. Despite the number of coaches and skill coaches the priority for Carlton players with the ball seems to be:

a) Where possible, whether in defence or attack, kick to an opposition player who is by himself

b) Kick the ball short in front of the oncoming Carlton player so that the opposition player can sweep up the ball or create a stoppage

c) Use the chaos theory - just slam the ball on to your boot so the opposition won't know where it is going, and neither will the Carlton players

d) always handball to a teammate who is under maximum pressure.

Seriously, I'm over it.  As I said once before, I've followed Carlton for 74 years and always thought the dark years of the club 1948 to 1967 would never be repeated, but I see no relief in sight in this century.

As others have said: is the club in a collective mental state where winning games is unachievable?

You're old!...lol.

I feel better now...haha.

Reply #106
I sound like a broken record but does anyone really think we will win any game when we try and carry bloke like Gibbons, Polson, and O’Brien who hardly touch it then when they do they have no clue.

Opposition teams must giggle when they see those names on the team sheet on a Thursday night before they play us.

We don’t have the quality to cover blokes who are lucky to touch the footy 5 times a match.

They might be AFL ready one day but are miles off at the moment. And that’s an understatement.  If Bolton keeps persisting with them cause they ‘try’ hard or they try and lock the ball in we are doomed. And I’m not on my own supporters were laughing at them today because of how far off these blokes are.

Until these players are replaced by afl standard footballers all we can hope for is more honourable loses, at best.

Reply #107
I was at the game today and that Franklin push was obvious to me 150m away. How the umps missed it when there are 2 within 20m is simply laughable.

The other one was when we tackled buddy on the boundary line and it was paid as play on, instead of dropping the ball.

Both were obvious, yet both went in buddys favour.

THEN there was the 50-50s that buddy got. I think there was one for front on contact. Not disimillar to about 7 that was not paid against McKay.

The umps didn't cost us the game, but they certainly cost us momentum on multiple occassions.
The umpires call for the tackle on franklin was that the ball went over the line before it was or wasn’t holding the ball. Still should have been holding the ball in my opinion.

Reply #108
The umpires call for the tackle on franklin was that the ball went over the line before it was or wasn’t holding the ball. Still should have been holding the ball in my opinion.

On the replay i saw, the ball never went over the line....certainly not the entire ball which is required to blow the whistle.

Reply #109
On the replay i saw, the ball never went over the line....certainly not the entire ball which is required to blow the whistle.
No it didn’t.
Yet it was thrown in instead of being our kick.
Wasn’t the best day for umpiring for all the aforementioned reasons, plus all the holding on Cripps that got overlooked. Umpires seem to think that since he’s strong enough to keep moving it isn’t holding.

Reply #110
Hardwick had a big sook about Dusty's treatment today.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #111
Hardwick had a big sook about Dusty's treatment today.

Dont know who Richmond are playing next week but odds on Dusty will be BOG with plenty of help from the umpires...........

Reply #112
Dont know who Richmond are playing next week but odds on Dusty will be BOG with plenty of help from the umpires...........

Port in Adelaide. Saturday arvo.

Reply #113
X2

So my 10yr old, who didn’t want to go today because ‘we always lose’ still wanted a new top (thanks mainly to No. 9!!) just said to me:  our play is kick it here and there and handball to someone with the opposition right behind them, or to the boundary which then rolls out but Sydney’s was kick - mark, kick - mark, kick, goal.  Even a 10 year old deciphers the glaring problem with our game a lot of the time - too much forking possessions that end up being turned over!

And screw Buddy and the Umps, load of BS calls but we need to demonstrate and stand the hell up! We are still quiet mice!!!

Reply #114
Shout out to big H setting a contested mark record today ????
Not a green shoot. Not an "almost". Not a "brave" performance.
But an achievement that supersedes all AFL players in this skill.

Take a bow H.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #115
I like Bolton too. Seems like a terrific, chirpy, upbeat kinda fella.

Although it might sound pedantic and just semantics but for me it's not about simply sacking BB. It's about understanding that we must now put someone in charge of this group who has been to the mountain top, someone who has had experience at molding a young group into a continual top 4 side. It's about entrusting this group to experience, not experiment.

BB was probably just the right bloke to keep the fans patient during a rebuild but now we need experience at the helm, otherwise a wonderful opportunity may just slide away.

I’ll get Mick on the line... or would you prefer Dennis ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #116
We seem to have started the season with individual players in hit or miss form.

We have about half a dozen who have been consistently good.
For others it's been a good one week (hold my place)... ineffective the next week.
The inconsistency of youth, coupled with an introduction of players from other clubs.

Yes it will take a while to develop a better understanding of each others strengths and weaknesses but we need the team to settle and gain confidence.
That gets a boost with a win or two.
We won't get that with wholesale changes each week.

Reply #117
looking at the stats, simply too many passengers again....

Dow, Polson, Gibbons, Setters, LoB - simply not enough.

I will be furious if Kennedy is not injured? He should have played.

Did the Gov get injured?

I said this two years ago and everyone laughed.  Bolton is a goose.  This club is inspid.  We are a club with no heart, no guts, a heap of spud GWS rejects and a poor excuse for a coach and line coaches.  We've won 2 games in about 30 matches.  Is this acceptable?  Well it must be because it continues to happen and everyone says we're getting better.  Have people forgotton what it's like to support a club that wins.  He should have been sacked tonight after that appauling disaster show today.

Reply #118
Shout out to big H setting a contested mark record today ????
Not a green shoot. Not an "almost". Not a "brave" performance.
But an achievement that supersedes all AFL players in this skill.

Take a bow H.

Good point LN. Great effort from the young man.

Reply #119
Good point LN. Great effort from the young man.

Straight swap, Melbourne boy Lyon for Perth boy Cripps!
The Force Awakens!