Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24339 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #90
Now that the dust has settled.

I guess it is important to factor in that the Tiggers are an established group who are at the stage of 'tinkering'. Whereas we're at the stage of having completed a major overhaul and are now just beginning to piece it together.

I hope Charlie isn't soaking up too much of the adoration from the outside. His game last night was appalling, his opponents owned him. No escaping that.

That brain fade from Jones on Jack was dumb, dumb, dumb... won't be easy to replace as he'll probably get a week. I'd be tempted to give Brackets (or maybe Charlie, might help him to get some confidence/form?) the gig down back next week and bring in another small/medium forward. (or put Charlie on the ball and give Murph more time in the forward line... yes, got my doubts about 3 pillars up forward & Ed C.).

64 pts is a pathetic final scoreline. Keeping the opposition, and such a good opposition, to 97 pts is
almost acceptable. Take out our usual 30 odd minutes of 'going missing', and their ability to capitalise on that and you'd find they were more a 75-80 pt side.

Ed C is a worry. Not a forward's clacker and it's probably too late to teach him new tricks. Someone else said it and I tend to agree that when Ed can't make the best 22, we're on the right track... and I don't like saying that because he's been a ripper with a heart as big as the MCG.

Our best newbie last night was Newman. Bloody ripper. 12 rebound 50s speaks for itself. Has a crack. 100 game player for us. If you put Williamson on the other HBF that's a pair of deadly lefties with dash and footy smarts. Drool.

When Setterfield and Walsh improve their disposal efficiency, look out.

I hope we resist the temptation to make changes for next week (except for the compulsory change of Jones), especially dumping anyone who didn't perform well last night.

I'm far more optimistic about next week than I was about last night.

I really think this group needs a big win, to know how it feels to own their opposition, it'll be the shot in the arm our group needs to take the next step.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #91
Seriously, this is becoming embarrassing watching this football club. Every year I hope that I see some sort of improvement, only for it to be flushed down the toilet after the first few games of the season.

People will say, well if you can't see improvement you weren't seeing the green shoots or Sam Walsh or Will Setterfield. Jesus, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about blokes being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year who simply can't do the basics of the f^&king game. I'm talking about chest marks, field kicking, hand balling and kicking for goal.

I mean for f^&ks sake, what do these d^&kheads do all summer? We dropped about 8 easy chest marks and mind you, this was from a myriad of players, SPS, CC, Cuningham etc. Why? How many out of the full? 6 or 7? It's like we're watching an U12s match who were playing the U18s. They were handling the ball like it was a bar of soap, yet Bitchmond didn't have any issues.

Why when we hand ball to a team mate it's always to their feet and never to advantage where they don't have to break stride? Kicking into the forward line is more by hope than by any design. Why can't our forwards ever get separation from their defender? Yet the opposition seem to never have an issue doing so with ours? Fuuuuuucckkk! Is it too hard to expect these simple things are a non negotiable when it comes to identifying players? 20 years in the cellar, you'd think we could identify at least a few players with some skill.

Charlie Curnow needs to stop drinking his own bath water and getting some skills. I don't think I've ever seen a player other than Marc Murphy go through the motions like he did last night. And on to my perennial favourite whipping boy Marc. How soft is this bloke? I mean really, he turns it over so often during a game that's it's almost like he's a member of the opposing team. When he does kick it in the general direction of a team mate it's always got too much air time or it's on top of their head. Such a hack!

The sad part is and I'm not sure why, most of you laud him as being skillful and an invaluable part of the club. He is one of the main reasons we are where we are as a club. The lack of on field leadership from a supposed senior statesman for the club is glaring not to mention the pi55 poor attack on the football at virtually every contest he's involved in does not bode well for the young kids when they see that. I feel for the likes of Cripps who leaves it all out there every week and bleeds for this club and likewise Judd before him.

Marc has been privileged to play with these two blokes and yet has learned nothing. Wow! Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to be Cripps, but I expect him to have presence and go when it's his turn to go, which all too often he fails to do. Young Sam Walsh has more impact on the game and gives more of himself and that was his first game.

I know alot of you will mention his second or third quarter, not sure which, where he kicked a goal and actually got involved in the game. OK, fair enough, but ask yourself, where was he the other 3 quarters and previous 12 years. I think is says alot about the bloke when you guys didn't even have a thread for Marc congratulating him on his 250th. Secretly you think the same, yet don't want to be the one to "shoot Bambi".

So it looks like another long year and mountain of disappointments coming up. It's getting to the point where I'm not sure why I put myself though watching the St Kilda of the 21st century week in week out. Yes people, that's who we are. 5 spoons in 20 years is not only St Kilda like, it's now Carlton like. Never thought I would ever say that, but there you have it, the club is officially a joke.

Don't get up in my grill and say that's an over reaction after a round one loss, I'm telling you, this is no aberration. This is situation normal at the Carlton Football Club and has been for the last 20 years. 2019 will be no different.
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #92
I thought we won enough football, but our use of the ball was poor, why?

One thought is that in general our aggression towards a opponents is low, it's not helped by CheatsTV doing it's best to cook our goose. Example the endless replays of Jones collecting Riewoldt versus completely ignoring Cripps being struck int he side of the head while trying to mark.

But our lack of vicious aggression is evident, while our attack on the football was grand, it's the Hodge factor we lack. Example, Cotchin does his best to hospitalise Cripps in a marking contest, we defend with gentile spoils and shepherds. Of course I realise it's men versus boys still, but we are not all boys. The irony is hearing our coach express concerns about Rance having watched him regularly "stumble" and collide knees first into forwards.

I've stated before and there is nothing from last night that makes me change this opinion, we play football like our primary objective is to leave the field safely for the trip home, at AFL level all that does is make us easy roadkill for the vultures.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Charlie Curnow needs to stop drinking his own bath water and getting some skills.

Watching last night I thought he needs VFL time. No doubt he has all the physical abilities, but almost zero confidence and presence. We've seen better from Charlie, but last night he was Capperesque.

He looks like a player who needs to go and kick 12 goals in a match at VFL level, but I suspect he'll need to be touched up by some B-grader at VFL level before he ever switches on.

We missed SpecialK last night, Nankervis was effectively BoG, and Phillips has little physical presence under the new body on body rules. McKay was almost ineffective in the ruck despite his height advantages, unfortunately McKay shows almost zero aggression, and it's aggression that gives KPPs the advantage. It's not his fault he is not and has never been a ruckmen, size means nothing good rucks play well due to an attitude.

Look at the disrespect coming from Riewoldt towards Jones, Riewoldt basically just tried to smash Jones to create opportunities for Nthmond's small forwards, in many cases Riewoldt never even came close to touching the ball yet was not penalised and we made no effort to respond in kind. As a team you cannot allow that, it's gutless and it leads to being bullied and dominated, there is no nice way of putting it. Bullies fold when you stand your ground, walking away lets them continue without reprise.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
But our lack of vicious aggression is evident, while our attack on the football was grand, it's the Hodge factor we lack. Example, Cotchin does his best to hospitalise Cripps in a marking contest, we defend with gentile spoils and shepherds. Of course I realise it's men versus boys still, but we are not all boys. The irony is hearing our coach express concerns about Rance having watched him regularly "stumble" and collide knees first into forwards.

I've stated before and there is nothing from last night that makes me change this opinion, we play football like our primary objective is to leave the field safely for the trip home, at AFL level all that does is make us easy roadkill for the vultures.

You can thank Marc for setting the finest of examples during his tenure at the club. All together now, THAAAAANNNNKKKKSSS MAAAAARRRRCCCC!
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #95
As someone who enjoys keeping a casual eye on stats, over the last season or 2 we consistently win the hard ball - clearances, cp's etc. are usually in our favour. Where we fall down (over and over again) are I50's and marks I50. It's like a disease for which we have no cure. Far too much dicking around between the arcs. Lack of composure ? Lack of skill ? Who knows. But we're not ball starved, that's for sure.

And tackles is another area where we are not always as dominant as we should be.

Reply #96
As someone who enjoys keeping a casual eye on stats, over the last season or 2 we consistently win the hard ball - clearances, cp's etc. are usually in our favour.

Are the stats a little misleading PaulP, what is the point at which a possession becomes a CP or clearance, does it have to be an effective disposal?

If it has to be an effective disposal it's hard to see how we could win the CPs and Clearances. If not, then I agree, we win heaps of contested football but rarely make much use of it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
I missed the start guys ... who was on the bench? 

Reply #98
Spanner touches a raw nerve with me.  Jones will get a week for nailing Riewoldt,  but the hatchet job on him from the media makes me vomit.   Burton got off the same rap last year BTW.

There are so many ways within the rules of the game to intimidate the opposition.  I'm not happy that Rance got hurt,  but Phillips had the right idea... If you come in to kill a contest and I go all in to mark and you get crunched...thats football.  Been watching guys do this with impunity for years,  were you watching Levi?   If a defender drops into the hole....

Crikey,  some peanut did it to SPS in the last (adjacent to the tiges RH point post). Obvious it was an attempted take down... No free.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #99
You can thank Marc for setting the finest of examples during his tenure at the club. All together now, THAAAAANNNNKKKKSSS MAAAAARRRRCCCC!

Senior player leadership has been an issue since the early 2000's.
Once Ratten and Hickmott retired we had little leadership

I have said it plenty of times, we had too many blokes who would not commit to the contest.
Guys like Nick Stevens, Camporeale and Justin Murphy educated the younger guys how to avoid the contest.

Last night, when the game was in the balance Murphy avoided contact.

He would have been grilled for it if he were a Swans or Hawks player, yet we made him skipper.

If not for Judd and Cripps we would have won a lot more wooden spoons

Reply #100

Spanner, I realise you are not a fan of sMurph, but I have to keep in mind it was actually sMurph injured more than once going head-to-head with blokes like Hodge and Selwood. You don't need to be the captain to influence in this manner, it's an attitude, and even if he tries sMurph won't have much impact in that regard he's just too small. So it's dumb to allow an accumulator to remove themselves from the game by trying to be an enforcer, I suspect that is exactly what the opposition want. But look at our history, we let Judd smash himself into the ground, and now we are about to do the same to Cripps it seems!

Other than Daisy I saw very little from medium sized blokes of bigger last night that gave me any confidence, go back and watch Nankervis, Grimes, Rance and even Nthmond's new kid Balta by comparison, they are not just winning the football, but they do so in a manner to physically hurt or intimidate opponents.

My real concern is the recruiting mix, we seems to favour the gentile types over all over features. Robinson was our last real thug type and we kiboshed him toot sweet, I don't by the reason why, I suspect it was because our timid group was fearful of retributions because of Robinson's on-field behavior. We don't want the conflict, so we always lose the game of chicken, and the opposition rely on that fact!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
Well done Fly, you got one right ????????????

pre game thread, Flyboy77 said:
“The last 4 clashes with the Tigers...

1. We would have 1 or 2 poor quarters.
2. We get overrun in the last quarter (young blokes getting tired).

Will the trend stop tonight?”
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #102
Spanner touches a raw nerve with me.  Jones will get a week for nailing Riewoldt,  but the hatchet job on him from the media makes me vomit.   Burton got off the same rap last year BTW.

There are so many ways within the rules of the game to intimidate the opposition.  I'm not happy that Rance got hurt,  but Phillips had the right idea... If you come in to kill a contest and I go all in to mark and you get crunched...thats football.  Been watching guys do this with impunity for years,  were you watching Levi?   If a defender drops into the hole....

Crikey,  some peanut did it to SPS in the last (adjacent to the tiges RH point post). Obvious it was an attempted take down... No free.

Don't get me started, apparently I'm heavily biased, but I fear we are already teaching blokes like McKay the wrong way to do things!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #103
Don't get me started, apparently I'm heavily biased, but I fear we are already teaching blokes like McKay the wrong way to do things!

Anyone want to tell me why Rance got away with winding McGovern in the second quarter.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #104
Weitering is the big liability. He is not up to 'holding' a KPF. His body language is dreadful, some say 'laconic',  I say defeatist and timid. Certainly slow off the mark and reactive. Needs to attack the ball as his body work is non-existent. He let the ball slip 'out the back' of the pack, which is as cardinal sin, the Tigers always convert these opportunities.

You'd think after 3 years Weits would be throwing his considerable size around  spitting a few packs open and charging out of defence. Nah...Not this bloke. Doesn't look hungry enough. I would move him up forward again, as he seems an OK mark....play Paddy Kerr at full back.

And I wonder why we never came out on the ground during the warm up, just to get a feel for the greasy conditions. Do we ever train at night with a slippery yellow ball ? It didn't seem like we had  with the fumbling and bumbling efforts last night.

As for Murphy, I don't think it set the right tone pre-match with the whole 'Love-in' for his milestone. For God sake they were playing Crowded House on the PA, hardly going to psych the players up for battle !

And the relevance of Whitnall presenting the match ball...what was that in aid of ? We need to move on from our disastrous recent  history , not glorify blokes who had to attend fat farms.

Focus on the here and now,...we have players that can write a new chapter and put us back in the finals picture.