Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong (Read 52271 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong

Reply #150
I think our newer Blues are better kicks than some of the guys who have gone, but we do retain a few guys whose kicking is their Achilles' Heel. Casboult sticks out, but he is not alone. It probably looks worse for the way we aim to move the move the ball. Our forwards don't lead much: we try to kick the ball over their heads so they fall back to take the marks. I would much rather us determine to be always in front and to kick the ball in front of them more. It works for Geelong.

It is amazing how different people see things.

I don't see Casboult's kicking as a problem at all, if he clunks enough marks inside F50 he will kick his 2 to 3 goals a game easily. I don't care too much that he kicks at 50% as long as he has enough shots.

But that bit in bold, you see I don't believe it is a forward not leading problem, in fact in recent years we have had lead up targets like Waite, Betts, Garlett and Walker all who had no trouble getting out in front of their direct opponent. Only to watch the ball sail over their head more often than not. I am not sure that kick is in anyway intentional, in fact I doubt they "try to kick the ball over their heads so they fall back" at all, but they do kick over the leading forwards head with monotonous regularity!

Ironically over the last few years blokes like Casboult, Kreuzer, Waite, Henderson, Everitt and even Warnock and Hampson have had no problem marking the ball from kicks out of our D50, but my conjecture is this is a result of different players are doing the kicking from deep in defense as opposed to our mids entering F50. Our mids are yet to demonstrate to me that they can hit the side of a moving barn let alone a moving forward! ;)

If you want to know why opposition captain's rate us so poorly, our kicking entering F50 holds a massive clue!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151

I don't see Casboult's kicking as a problem at all, if he clunks enough marks inside F50 he will kick his 2 to 3 goals a game easily. I don't care too much that he kicks at 50% as long as he has enough shots.

But that bit in bold, you see I don't believe it is a forward not leading problem, in fact in recent years we have had lead up targets like Waite, Betts, Garlett and Walker all who had no trouble getting out in front of their direct opponent. Only to watch the ball sail over their head more often than not. I am not sure that kick is in anyway intentional, in fact I doubt they "try to kick the ball over their heads so they fall back" at all, but they do kick over the leading forwards head with monotonous regularity!

Ironically over the last few years blokes like Casboult, Kreuzer, Waite, Henderson, Everitt and even Warnock and Hampson have had no problem marking the ball from kicks out of our D50, but my conjecture is this is a result of different players are doing the kicking from deep in defense as opposed to our mids entering F50. Our mids are yet to demonstrate to me that they can hit the side of a moving barn let alone a moving forward! ;)

If you want to know why opposition captain's rate us so poorly, our kicking entering F50 holds a massive clue!

Re the bolded part, hence my interest in the training thread about how well we have been kicking to a lead at training.

It's a skill that seems to have departed the CFC for way too long now.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #152

Re the bolded part, hence my interest in the training thread about how well we have been kicking to a lead at training.

It's a skill that seems to have departed the CFC for way too long now.

I reckon it's not so much a skill issue but more the way in which we set up and try to move the ball.  We don't keep possession, we move the ball slowly. and we are often under pressure when trying to deliver the ball.  Lack of structure in the forward line doesn't help.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #153
When I played footy and we did a training drill whereby you kicked to a  leading forward - if you kicked it behind them you dropped and did 50.  You got over that mistake pretty fast...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #154
When I played footy and we did a training drill whereby you kicked to a  leading forward - if you kicked it behind them you dropped and did 50.  You got over that mistake pretty fast...

Blues would have had the best shoulders in the league if we did that.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #155

Its a new era Professer, its the old argument of athletic ability and beep tests vs good old footy nouse and skill. 

I wonder if Sam Mitchell did a good beep test?

I play vets AFL 9s and we have heaps of run with our younger teammates.  We got pumped the other night by a team of dads that could easily hit a beer can from 50 meters away.  It was magic to watch. (all ex WAFL players of course)
I long for the hey day to return.