Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO (Read 48578 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO

Reply #105
a good win to have!

True.

But keep in mind so far we have given up far more scoring shots than we have had ourselves, stats suggest that was was our major weakness last season as well! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
Wasn't that MM's first win over the arch enemy? :o

Yes

Btw.....just to reiterate a few other posts, thought Jaksch was okay against WC, but geez, we've all gotta be happy with what he produced y'day. An outstanding pick-up imo for the type of player he is. Allows the likes of White to play more of floating role at either end of the ground, where I reckon he can be a real weapon.

Clem Smith is finding the going a bit tough I reckon.....way off the pace of the game.

Really happy with Carrazzo as well.

Brettie, I agree Re: Smith but the thing with Smith is although he is a bit out of his depth at the moment... I actually feel quite confident about him. Some blokes you see and just immediate think they are going to struggle, but i think everything he does is a learning experience for him.

Just things like bumping instead of tackling, taking that extra step which he doesn't have, getting pushed the Defensive side of the contest... Things that are a step up from under 18's and AFL.

I WOULD not play him at all this year and let him play Northern Blues all year, but reckon he might just cut it!
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #107
What a difference a Judd makes :D

He could probably have a rest next week though.

Too much of a difference IMO......when he retires we will go backwards bigtime unless we get another
A grade leader/player to fill the gap he will leave.

Agree

It's a problem when reading all the news, looking for news on the new players that all media has Judd and Carrazzo as our best players...
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #108

Too much of a difference IMO......when he retires we will go backwards bigtime unless we get another

Agree

It's a problem when reading all the news, looking for news on the new players that all media has Judd and Carrazzo as our best players...

The improvement in our play towards the end of last season coincided with his return.

Reply #109

Agree

Marc Murphy?

I wonder what the GC fans say about Ablett?

Bartell, Selwood, Kelly still up in lights most weeks for the Cats.... Hawks - Lewis,Burgoyne (33 this year), Mitchell - 32 now, nobody says about him retire, retire, retire...

Swan at the Pies - 31 and one tenth the physical specimen that Judd is.....

Pav at Freo - 34 later this year.....

Judd could play another 3 seasons - if he wants to.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #110
Wasn't that MM's first win over the arch enemy? :o

Yes

Btw.....just to reiterate a few other posts, thought Jaksch was okay against WC, but geez, we've all gotta be happy with what he produced y'day. An outstanding pick-up imo for the type of player he is. Allows the likes of White to play more of floating role at either end of the ground, where I reckon he can be a real weapon.

Clem Smith is finding the going a bit tough I reckon.....way off the pace of the game.

Really happy with Carrazzo as well.

Smith will be ok...just trying too hard and ball chasing rather than reading the play...
You can almost hear the voice in his mind going "ah, ah, crap, where the screw am I supposed to be, what the screw, should I go now or defend, ah, ah, crap!!!

Just a kid who's used to running around doing whatever he likes on a footy field now finding himself in a "system".

He'll pick it up and when he does, look out.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #111

One issue is a Judd retirement is not going to free enough cash to attract a player who will have similar impact. We'll have to manage it well to get an out and out A grader across IMO.

Reply #112

One issue is a Judd retirement is not going to free enough cash to attract a player who will have similar impact. We'll have to manage it well to get an out and out A grader across IMO.

We threw 1.2mill a year at Jeremy Cameron so the money is there.....its finding the right player and one who will want to come.
The obvious player is Dangerfield but we seem out of that race...we are attempting to get Treloar along with other clubs but he wont give us what Judd has......
Trent Cotchin instead of Kruezer and it was job done but alas that horse has bolted and most would have gone MK at the time including yours truly...

Reply #113
Our game plan is wat concerns me, i hate watching when we kick the ball straight to the opposition being our kick insfrom full back,or around the ground or when we go into our fwd line, this has been happening for several yrs and after watching two nab games still there. We have tyo change our game style ,coaching panel have to make changes.1 e.g carrazzo going fwd had everitt on his own on the 50 m line but goes long over his head to goal square ball straight to magpies away they went.

Reply #114
Our game plan is wat concerns me, i hate watching when we kick the ball straight to the opposition being our kick insfrom full back,or around the ground or when we go into our fwd line, this has been happening for several yrs and after watching two nab games still there. We have tyo change our game style ,coaching panel have to make changes.1 e.g carrazzo going fwd had everitt on his own on the 50 m line but goes long over his head to goal square ball straight to magpies away they went.
With all due respect Mina, I am not a coaches ass hole however I can assure you kicking the ball to the opposition is not our "game plan". I would also bet both my nuts it not the game plan of any of the other 17 teams.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #115
With all due respect Mina, I am not a coaches ass hole however I can assure you kicking the ball to the opposition is not our "game plan". I would also bet both my nuts it not the game plan of any of the other 17 teams.

....plenty do it though. It's called the "no finals for you" game plan.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #116

I agree.
We had exactly the same issues with kick ins under our previous coach as well.

Reply #117
Micks game plan was kick it around the boundary rather than turn it over in the corridor but with so many indifferent kicks in the team that didnt work so we went the more free wheeling running approach.
Most times the ball gets picked off when we kick to stationary targets across the ground, we are a much better kicking team when we move the ball quickly.
Its the difference between the good and bad teams in many cases....the good teams man up better, dont allow you to run and force you to kick wide usually to stationary targets where they pick it off. They usually give you the first wide kick free to suck you in and allow their backman to man up while you fiddle with the footy....

We manned the Pies tight early and they turned the ball over many times while Yarran, Simpson  etc gave us the run and carry to be more direct and we didnt have to go wide...its keeping it up for 100 minutes thats our problem...

Reply #118
Micks game plan was kick it around the boundary rather than turn it over in the corridor but with so many indifferent kicks in the team that didnt work so we went the more free wheeling running approach.
Most times the ball gets picked off when we kick to stationary targets across the ground, we are a much better kicking team when we move the ball quickly.
Its the difference between the good and bad teams in many cases....the good teams man up better, dont allow you to run and force you to kick wide usually to stationary targets where they pick it off. They usually give you the first wide kick free to suck you in and allow their backman to man up while you fiddle with the footy....

We manned the Pies tight early and they turned the ball over many times while Yarran, Simpson  etc gave us the run and carry to be more direct and we didnt have to go wide...its keeping it up for 100 minutes thats our problem...

I watched the first 1/4 of the Cats v Crows NAB game and the Cats precision passing was unbelievable. Hard, flat and fast, almost like they were 5 meters apart throwing a basketball.

Reply #119

I watched the first 1/4 of the Cats v Crows NAB game and the Cats precision passing was unbelievable. Hard, flat and fast, almost like they were 5 meters apart throwing a basketball.

Yep the Cats are very skilled and attempt kicks through narrow gaps that are cm perfect  that some of our blokes wouldnt be able to make with 10 attempts....its confidence in you own ability and your teammates to get to the right positions plus picking players from the draft who have good kicking skills to begin with and dont need remedial work..