Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO (Read 48575 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO

Reply #120
I watched the first 1/4 of the Cats v Crows NAB game and the Cats precision passing was unbelievable. Hard, flat and fast, almost like they were 5 meters apart throwing a basketball.

Yep the Cats are very skilled and attempt kicks through narrow gaps that are cm perfect  that some of our blokes wouldnt be able to make with 10 attempts....its confidence in you own ability and your teammates to get to the right positions plus picking players from the draft who have good kicking skills to begin with and dont remedial work..

The physical kick is not as hard, not as hard as everyone makes out.

It's the vision and quick decision making that set the Cats apart.

They have been drilled to take the game on without fear of being persecuted when things go wrong, and when things do go wrong they just reset and start again!

If you can get MM doing that good luck to you, but I'm backing MM for fire and brimstone over care and understanding!

I doubt MM would be into the New Earth Army! ;)

But his stare might well and truly kill a goat! :o

(I apologize for the obscure references!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
Do not know why but the picture above triggers an image of Dane Swan sitting down on the ground in the dugout late in the last quarter with a brilliant smile on his face. He is a character isn't he. Nothing seem to phase him.

Reply #122
Whoever wrote the headline in today's Hun should be sacked. Apparently "Garlett and Judd starred in Blues win" WTF!! :o

May as well have written "Token aboriginal player" FFS.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #123
Everitt did the same thing in last year's NAB Cup marking strongly and looking every bit a dangerous forward, yet we rarely saw him there in the season proper. Hopefully that changes this year. A little disappointing to see Watto who requires 'belief' dropped to the reserves after one game again. Much of the same for him again this year.

True about Everitt, but MM played him as a tagger for a good chunk of the season which makes it hard to have an impact up forward!

...and the reason Everitt was played as a tagger was because we lost Curnow early in the year.

Get a few injuries and your team balance/lineup goes right out the window.

It will be a luxury if we can afford to have Casboult, Henderson, Jones and Everitt all roaming the forward line like yesterday. No opposition has that many tall defenders. Not many opposition have tall defenders who can keep up with the likes of Everitt...and even Jones.

Reply #124
Didn't get far yesterday: I'll try to finish this time:

[4]   Our style of play
Especially in the first quarter, we played a very attacking style of play. I was pleasantly surprised. However, it was not without its drawbacks. Collingwood got a number of goals when we had all rushed forward and turned the ball over, being caught on the rebound. Ciaran Byrne was one against 4 at one point as the rest of the Blues had run forward.
Our centre square work was pretty good, especially when Warnock got his hand to the ball. It wasn't so good when Grundy or Cox got the tap, but we did pressure their mids pretty well.
Kicking it long to a pack seems to be our default. That wouldn't be so bad with Eddie Betts there. Tutt was OK, especially early, but we really did struggle to get crumbing goals.

[5]   Disposal
This doesn't appear to have improved much. Casboult was terrible by foot. it wasn't easy: there was a strong and blustery wind blowing more or less across the ground (although favouring one end somewhat). However, we did gift Collingwood most of their goals with our turnovers: Yarran's in the first quarter was probably the worst, but young Byrne had 3 turnovers from defence that lead directly to Collingwood goals. We really need to improve in this area.

[6]    Players:
Troy Menzel:    no scoring opportunities, but he spent some time up the ground and worked quite well. He needed the run.
Bryce Gibbs:   Gibbs also needed the run, but did a couple of very nice things. Apparently his shoulder injury is very minor, but they weren't going to risk him.
Chris Judd:   Magnificent. Our midfield is going to be so ordinary when he retires. 6 kicks and 17 handballs and he didn't spend that long on the ground.
Kade Simpson:   Simmo was hopeless early: he had a very poor 1st quarter. However, after he got injured he came out and played very well. he ended up with 22 possessions and spent time in the midfield.
Patrick Cripps:   A very useful player in the middle, but does get caught out by a quick opponent. It sometimes looks like he doesn't work hard enough, but like Broke McLean, he just can't catch up with an opponent on the burst. His handball was excellent. Still some way to go.
I would have liked to have him spend some time forward, as his extra height would really stretch the Collingwood defence: they struggled to hold the talls as it was. But it didn't happen.
Robert Warnock: Went off with a minor injury after being our best ruckman on the day. He started very well, getting his hands on the ball and giving our mids first possession. He also kept Grundy from taking a mark. Still has his issues, as he didn't take a mark either.   
Blaine Boekhorst: Not bad. Did some nice things and provided some good run, but too easily out bodied  at this point. Still, he hit targets that Lucas didn't. Not ready yet, but isn't far off.
Chris Yarran:   Excellent. He made a couple of errors, but his run from defence was very good. 21 possessions and 4 tackles suggests that he was trying.
Liam Jones:   I haven't made my mind up about Jones. he did a couple of very nice things, took a couple of fine marks and kicked straight, but he provided very little at other times. He was very unlucky with one of his last quarter snaps. If we give him a chance, he will be a dangerous forward. if we move the ball slowly, he'll be a non contributor.
Sam Docherty:   Doc was solid and did some nice things. 17 possessions and few turnovers: none of the shockers that we saw last year.
Sam Rowe:   Displaced by Jaksch from his key defensive post. Sam started poorly. he couldn't get a sniff up forward and struggled in the ruck. However, as the game tightened up, Rowe improved. he looked a lot better in the defensive end, but had to ruck when Warnock went off. He isn't a ruckman, but did get 11 taps.
Kristian Jaksch:   Probably the most impressive of our recruits on the day. He had a fine time on the Collingwood tall forwards, mostly punching, but taking a couple of nice marks. 17 possessions and 6 marks, with only 1 goal against him. he moved well and looked like he has a future.
Jason Tutt:   Started very well, but went out of the game: he was taken off for Clem Smith after a stellar 1st quarter. He didn't seem to run to the right spots, as he was often ignored in the last quarter. His kicking was nice - an improvement on Ellard - and he showed some pace and dash.
Lachie Henderson: Hendo was awful early in the game: he just couldn't get his hands on the ball. But after half time he improved a lot and was very good in the last quarter, mostly in defence.    I think he got all 7 of his possessions after half time.
Clem Smith:   A way off yet. Smith came on in the 2nd quarter and had a very poor term without a single effective possession. He ran hard, but it just wasn't working for him. After half time he moved up the ground and was a lot more effective. But he isn't an Eddie Betts: his disposal is unreliable and he just doesn't get the ball enough yet.
Tom Bell:   There was a lot to like about Bell's game: like Everitt, he used his height against the Meat Pies' defence effectively early and ran hard. He appears to have picked up some pace, but he is never going to run down a guy like Garlett. His disposal is not what we want it to be yet.
Andrejs Everitt:   BOG by the length of the field in the 1st quarter, he then changed role and spent a fair bit of time on the pine. Collingwood didn't have a match up in the air for him, so he took some excellent marks and kicked some nice goals.
Ed Curnow:   Did a tagging job pretty well and had 16 possessions.
Ciaran Byrne:   Casey showed he has a future: he looked a lot like some of the guys who played in the 70's and 80's. He spent the day in defence and got it 18 times with a couple of nice marks. He turned it over 3 times for 3 goals, but mostly showed pretty good composure. Doesn't look like he has a the killer instinct yet, probably still getting used to the speed and pressure of the senior game, but he definitely has a future.
Michael Jamison: Kept Cloke to a handful of possessions and gave a pretty good account of himself at kick ins. He and Tuohy had a couple of long bombs to the middle of the ground that really disorganized the Pies' zone.
Levi Casboult:   Levi took some nice marks, but was generally beaten in the ruck, especially at the throw ins. he did better in the centre square, as Cox didn't know what he was doing there. His kicking was not good.
Zach Tuohy:   Pretty solid in defence.18 possessions.
Simon White:   Started in the centre square and ended up forward. He did pretty well. with 18 possessions and 6 marks. Very good at the start and the finish.
Andrew Carrazzo: Carrots took his man to the cleaners and got 25 possessions himself. He was a 4 quarter player and a real on field general.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #125
Crash, what was the crowd like?
Pro Carlton? Pro Pies? 50/50? On the telly it looked to be pro Pies....
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #126
And what of the Pies' guns - Pendles, Swan......?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #127
Thanks for that Crash.

A lot of positives but a major worry to hear Cripps is struggling to get on the pace, a la Brock. Brock was OK most of the time when he could get to the ball or make the tackle - it was when he couldn't that he tended to let us down. Now it sounds like we may have another slowcoach with he same problem? It's very hard to make a slow guy run  any faster so have we stuffed up with him or does he show other qualities that could overcome this?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #128

It was about 70/30 Collingwood supporters I think. Couldn't even see a Blues supporter where I was standing.

Reply #129
Thanks for that Crash.

A lot of positives but a major worry to hear Cripps is struggling to get on the pace, a la Brock. Brock was OK most of the time when he could get to the ball or make the tackle - it was when he couldn't that he tended to let us down. Now it sounds like we may have another slowcoach with he same problem? It's very hard to make a slow guy run  any faster so have we stuffed up with him or does he show other qualities that could overcome this?

I'm not worried. He's a JPK type and he's not known for his pace. He gets the ball and dishes it out, as his 5 kicks, 14 handballs would suggest. The problem is he doesn't have a tank yet and needs time to develop that.

He's a massive unit for a midfielder. He's going to take time. One thing, though, is his disposal efficiency was 63.2%, which isn't good for short hand balling. Still better than Bell's 46.7% effort, though.

Reply #130

It was about 70/30 Collingwood supporters I think. Couldn't even see a Blues supporter where I was standing.

Cheers.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #131
Ciaran Byrne:   Casey showed he has a future: he looked a lot like some of the guys who played in the 70's and 80's. He spent the day in defence and got it 18 times with a couple of nice marks. He turned it over 3 times for 3 goals, but mostly showed pretty good composure. Doesn't look like he has a the killer instinct yet, probably still getting used to the speed and pressure of the senior game, but he definitely has a future.

Great review Crash, much appreciated. Saw the game on Foxtel and you are right about Byrne. I was astounded at the way he moved, handballed and kicked. For someone who only recently picked up the code he looked like a real footballer of the old type. I reckon he is going to improve at the rate of knots.

Reply #132
Around us on the far wing it was 50 50. There were other patches that seemed more black and white to me. If I had to guess it would have been 40: 60 in their favour.
Quite surprising was that Collingwood were the 'home' team. No Carlton merchandising to be seen. There also seemed to be a lot of people up from Melbourne.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #133
And what of the Pies' guns - Pendles, Swan......?
Swan played maybe 50 % of the game and had no influence at all. He actually had 12 possessions, but I can only remember 2 of them.
Pendelbury had 16 possessions but didn't hurt us at all. he also spent time on the bench, but Carrots took him to the cleaners. Pendelbury managed to steal a few cheap possessions by claiming to be the closest to an out on the full, but he didn't have much effect.
Levi Greenwood was by far Collingwood's best player. He actually hurt us at times.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #134
It's a bit of a concern when players with a few years experience are found wanting in the kicking and disposal side of things in a game when the pressure is a fraction of what it will be in the regular season.

If it cant hold up now it's unlikely to hold up under real pressure.