Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 22: Post Game Peace? Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 37570 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 22: Post Game Peace? Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #120
I find it hard to respect Hawthorn, even though my father barracked for them.
[1] Clarkson: He is an excellent coach: his record speaks for itself. But that does not make him a good human. He is almost everything I would prefer a human NOT to be. He doesn't like acknowledging that any other team is better than his on any given day. He has an angry streak larger than his height.
I have seen him since his first game (the Battle of Britain). His assault on Aitken should have been forwarded to the police.
[2] Hypocrisy: Clarkson, Hodge and many others are total hypocrites. I was at the game many years ago when both Buddy and Fev were going for their 100th goal of the season. Buddy got his early: we couldn't stop Hawthorn at the time. However, as the game went on, Fev got closer and closer, up to 99 at 3/4 time. Hawthorn then did everything they could to stop Fev getting that final goal, including playing 5 men on him. Naturally Fev fell short, although a number of very cheap goals managed to be scored by us during the quarter.
Clarkson, Hodge and others then came out of separate occasions to state that it was pity that Fev didn't get his 100, that they did not try extra hard to stop him getting the goal and that they would be happy to see it happen.
What bald faced lies they uttered.
It doesn't bother me that they were so competitive that they felt they had to defend every goal. I can understand that. But to come out publically and to try to rewrite history with them in the role of good guy was ridiculous. I cannot believe any of them could honestly have believed that trash having seem them play.
[3] Arrogance: we have been accused of this and we may have been guilty once upon a time.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #121
:)) Yep.

Hang on... hear that? It's Orson Welles bellowing from the heavens... 'bound to be a c0ckhead somewhere who degraded the name, Kane.'

Hah, you and Cookie, well spotted. I couldn't imagine that being picked up on Bomberblitz. Apocalypse Now for them. The Terror, The Terror.  :)

Reply #122
Hah, you and Cookie, well spotted. I couldn't imagine that being picked up on Bomberblitz. Apocalypse Now for them. The Terror, The Terror.  :)
I think you mean 'The Horror, the Horror'.............

Reply #123
Hypocrisy: Clarkson, Hodge and many others are total hypocrites. I was at the game many years ago when both Buddy and Fev were going for their 100th goal of the season. Buddy got his early: we couldn't stop Hawthorn at the time. However, as the game went on, Fev got closer and closer, up to 99 at 3/4 time. Hawthorn then did everything they could to stop Fev getting that final goal, including playing 5 men on him. Naturally Fev fell short, although a number of very cheap goals managed to be scored by us during the quarter.

Clarkson, Hodge and others then came out of separate occasions to state that it was pity that Fev didn't get his 100, that they did not try extra hard to stop him getting the goal and that they would be happy to see it happen.
What bald faced lies they uttered.

It doesn't bother me that they were so competitive that they felt they had to defend every goal. I can understand that. But to come out publically and to try to rewrite history with them in the role of good guy was ridiculous. I cannot believe any of them could honestly have believed that trash having seem them play.

I was there as well, and remember the Dawks had the game in the bag because we were Fevola focused to try and get him to 100.

Gibbs, Judd and Murphy smashed them in the midfield hit up Fev repeat effort after effort. Clarkson put Croad, Roughead, Franklin, Hodge, Brown and Dew inside D50 late in the game when they were already 10 goals up. The Dawks were clear 2nd on the ladder with no hope of getting 1st or dropping to 3rd.

When I watched the replay the coverage showed Clarkson sitting in the box laughing at Fev's efforts as Franklin and Roughead kept dropping in front of him. In my opinion it was one of the most unsportsmanlike like efforts I have ever witnessed, probably only bettered by his hit on Aitken!

But what do people expect from someone who vandalizes property, abuses junior umpires and threatens people!

The irony of "The Dawks" labeling themselves as "The Family Club" is not lost on me!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
I think that Murphy is enjoying having team mates who, although they may be in their first or second season, don't mind getting physical with the opposition, and particularly when someone tries to rough up the skipper.  Samo is one bloke who seems to like watching Murphy's back.

I think the 3rd man up rule means Murphy is no longer surrounded by giants at stoppages, it's had a big impact on his durability!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
Murphy isn't half the player Tom Mitchell is.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #126
I think the 3rd man up rule means Murphy is no longer surrounded by giants at stoppages, it's had a big impact on his durability!

Completely irrelevant LP - which teams used a giant to go third man up, apart from our two rucks at forward 50 boundary throw ins?

The third man up, unless they had the recovery and second and third efforts of Kreuzer, was effectively out of the clearance contest.  Now that they can't go for the hitout, they can sit on the clearance contest and pick off Murphy and the like.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #127
Murphy isn't half the player Tom Mitchell is.

It's funny you should say that (actually it's more predictable than funny) but I was thinking during the game that Mitchell has little impact for all the possessions he racks up.  I can understand the comments about him from earlier in the season.  I can't remember which coach it was but they said that they didn't bother tagging Mitchell because he doesn't do much with the ball.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #129
It's funny you should say that (actually it's more predictable than funny) but I was thinking during the game that Mitchell has little impact for all the possessions he racks up.  I can understand the comments about him from earlier in the season.  I can't remember which coach it was but they said that they didn't bother tagging Mitchell because he doesn't do much with the ball.

Nathan Buckley, it worked well for him in the rematch. ;)

On the weekend Mitchell scored 164 supercoach to Murphy's 93 because he wins the hard ball and his disposals have more impact.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #130
I was there as well, and remember the Dawks had the game in the bag because we were Fevola focused to try and get him to 100.

Gibbs, Judd and Murphy smashed them in the midfield hit up Fev repeat effort after effort. Clarkson put Croad, Roughead, Franklin, Hodge, Brown and Dew inside D50 late in the game when they were already 10 goals up. The Dawks were clear 2nd on the ladder with no hope of getting 1st or dropping to 3rd.

When I watched the replay the coverage showed Clarkson sitting in the box laughing at Fev's efforts as Franklin and Roughead kept dropping in front of him. In my opinion it was one of the most unsportsmanlike like efforts I have ever witnessed, probably only bettered by his hit on Aitken!

But what do people expect from someone who vandalizes property, abuses junior umpires and threatens people!

The irony of "The Dawks" labeling themselves as "The Family Club" is not lost on me!

Yes. I was there that day and that was the day I started hating another team. I'll never forget it. They wanted buddy to have the day to himself. Poor sportsmanship epitomised.
Keep the Faith

Reply #131
Yes. I was there that day and that was the day I started hating another team. I'll never forget it. They wanted buddy to have the day to himself. Poor sportsmanship epitomised.
If i remember correctly they stopped Fev because they didn't want the crowd to come back onto the ground.  Aholes the lot of them!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #132

I was there also. Behind the goals Fev was kicking at in the last.

I even remember Fev chatting away to the bloke kicking in from a behind.

Years later i heard Fev talk about the incident. I think he said it was Guerra, who he knew well. Fev said he was offering him $10k to get it straight to him from the kick in to help him get his 100. Guerra just laughed it off saying he couldn't do that.

Reply #133
Nathan Buckley, it worked well for him in the rematch. ;)

On the weekend Mitchell scored 164 supercoach to Murphy's 93 because he wins the hard ball and his disposals have more impact.

I don't use supercoach points to work out how well a bloke is playing.  My eyes tell me that Mitchell's disposal by foot is poor, particularly when trying to hit a target inside 50 (or kick for goal).  They also tell me that Mitchell gets a lot of possessions from running behind the play, receiving handballs and increasing his stats by give and goes.

I don't know a lot about supercoach but do you actually get more points for winning hard balls and having more impact with your disposals.  I thought it was more about rewarding blokes who maximise their disposals, like those who always play on when kicking in after a behind.

Reply #134
Actually it's an interesting exercise. If they were both the same age, who would you go for (Murphy or Mitchell)? I'm way too biased to be objective... though I do think that Murphy hurts the opposition more with his possessions... especially forward of centre.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17