Skip to main content
Topic: Pass-mark for 2014 (Read 27201 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pass-mark for 2014

Reply #15
The kangaroos are an interesting prospect. Two of their best players are nearing the end but as a whole they were competitive with the best sides this year. Certainly beat better quality opposition than we did. We were very lucky not to get rolled by them.

Reply #16
The same thing I want every year.

Good performances (wins are better) against the top 4 contenders in finals type matches i.e. when it goes up a notch we go up a notch instead of falling away.

Beating Richmond does not cut it, they are as flaky and fall away just like us in the big games.

Hawks, Freo, Sydney and whoever the top 4 side is that takes Geelongs spot is.

These are pretty much the only sides who matter.

Play these guys at their own game and I know we are on the right track, if not, it's all window dressing.

Yep. Seriously challenge the better sides on a consistent basis which would surely lead to a higher finish on the ladder. I'd be happy with top 6.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
Finals. We're a little bit off the pace and missing parts.

Reply #18
A pass would be putting together a list that can seriously challenge for the flag for the next 5-10 years. No more stopgap measures.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #19
The best trades will be with the two new team

They are swimming with talent
talent seasoned by a year or two
These teams need  experience.

Best avenue for an early pick with some of the hard development work done

I think we need to pick up three or four young guys into our list
then stack the Rookie list with prospective talent.

Reply #20
Think we'll slide, tbh.
Essendon, Roos, GC all coming up hot - Roos in particular could be this years Richmond.

Port, Pies to slide with us.

A Top 8 finish next year would be a great effort.

Some development in Temay, Cachia, Cas, Menzel, Yarran, Gibbs, Murf and McInnes would be good too.

I cant agree. 

There is a lot of time to pass till the beginning of next season, and injury during pre season will have as big a say with how a team goes as well as how they recruit.

We are improving.  I guarantee that we will not fall away further than we did this season at worst, and at best will be up around the 4th/5th mark.  Our best players did not perform all that well for us this season, and our worst players did similar.  Very few players had a good year, and we showed signs of significant strides forward as a group and all this without the players really doing much that we have off loaded.  We look to be bringing in some genuine improvement, and dont appear to be losing significantly.  It can only go up not down.

At present, I can see Sydney going backwards.  They are losing a few elder statesmen who drive the culture down there, as well as some handy depth types who keep them winning when players go down and appear to have put their eggs all in the one basket (or two with Tippett).  No more Mumford who is a good ruck for them, and all of a sudden Mike Pyke is going to have to stand up more frequently.  He has done well thus far as a convert, but he has not had to shoulder such a significant load as he will this season.

Hawthorn also look to be sliding.  Couple a premiership (complacency) with the loss of Franklin and Bailey and they are significantly weakened in the key positions.  The stat that Hawthorn fare better without Buddy is another that is filled with hot air, as they play more often with him than without him and when they play without him they often do it against "weaker" opposition.  I.e.  He wouldnt miss many games against Geelong, but he would against Western Bulldogs or the like.

Geelong will more than likely be up there, but they could just as easily fall away.  They are another year older as a collective, and are moving on some players that usually stand up for them in a fairly big way.  They could go up or down at present, and they are yet to recruit anyone, but Im assuming that they have enough quality coming through that will stand up in the absence of the guys they are losing.  They might be due for a flatter year though this season.

Freo are interesting.  A few ageing players, and a couple that had a terrible grand final can result in decreased faith in ability to get there and they may actually slide a little on the back of the missed opportuntiy they had this season.  They should still finish top 4 though as there are some real questions over the rest of the competition.

Collingwood have turfed half of their senior regulars and will probably finish about 8th.  They might scrape in or finish 10th, but they will not be strong next season.  Losing far too much leadership but will be buoyed with youngsters so they may not fall too far with the softer draw.

Tigers will do similar to Collingwood, but they are in for a rude shock as they have lost a few decent performers and are not being proactive.  The Martin distraction will hurt them this off season.  Without a bit of natural improvement and developement they are in real danger of going backwards next season.

Big movers next year: Adelaide and West Coast.  Soft draws, and the return of injured players.  Both are better than how they fared this season.

The rest will be real question marks.  Its hard to see what else will happen given so many tight games this season.  Im expecting GWS to really jump up next year, although they will only finish about 10-12 they will cause a bit of a ruckus.  The Saints will be spooners next year.  Going backwards at light speed.  No upside either.  Melbourne are another who might initially tread water down there, or jump up to about 12th but its really difficult.  The roos effect will cause as much grief as it will improvement and they seem to be sitting on their hands a bit also.

The only thing Im forecasting is a changing of the guard at the top and middle of the ladder.  The top 4 will see more change than usual, and likewise the overall 8 will too.  The last 8 years have been fairly consistent with some regular finals contenders, but there looks to be a lot of scope for change next year and we could slingshot into the top 4 if things bounce our way.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
Finishing sixth means we will get a harder draw next season.
Would be very pleased if we finish in the eight, win a final and don't drop any games to teams we should beat.

Reply #22
A realistic expectation for 2013 :would be a ladder finish between 6th-10th. This would all be subject to injury etc, we have an improved playing roster but are still missing a key position player or two.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #23
I really want us to end some of our recent hoodoos:
[1] Beat Hawthorn - I don't care where.
[2] Beat Essendon twice. I'm tired of just coming up short against these zeroes. We should have beaten them so many more times, but have not been able to finish them off.
[3] Beat Geelong - they have managed to just get over us quite a lot lately, since we pantsed them at the MCG. I'd really like to see that again, even at Etihad, where conditions have traditionally not favoured us.
[4] Beat St. Kilda. Really beat St. Kilda. None of these Monday night screw ups like 2013.
[5] Beat Sydney, especially in Sydney or at Etihad.
[6] Beat Collingwood - get the monkey off our back and well and truly on to theirs.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
I dont want to place a limit on what is achievable by labelling a pass mark on anything.  I want the club to put its best foot forward, and then see where we land at the end of the year, and work towards bettering that moving forward.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
No limits from me, just an expectation.

It's a flag or nothing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
A realistic expectation for 2013 :would be a ladder finish between 6th-10th. This would all be subject to injury etc, we have an improved playing roster but are still missing a key position player or two.

It's like you're able to look into the past and tell us what happened  :P

Reply #27
Holly cow, so many listing the ladder position as the dependent variable with injuries as an independent variable!

Ladder position(y) depends on injuries(x)!

Brett Ratten must be choking on a latte right at this minute, or at least he would have sensed a shiver run up his spine!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Brett Ratten must be choking on a latte right at this minute, or at least he would have sensed a shiver run up his spine!

I reckon if he made finals he would have kept his job even though the club wanted a top 4 finish, so injuries are a consideration. He may have even kept his job if we beat the Suns, wouldn't put it past our administration at all.

Reply #29
A strong showing in the finals.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17