Skip to main content
Topic: A General in the Forward Line (Read 5278 times) previous topic - next topic

A General in the Forward Line

King and Maclure we're discussing Carlton's forward line on 360 last night

The talk centred around  Mckay, McGovern, Charlie and Gibbons and their positioning.
The general discussion centred around the lack of someone with authority, on the field, giving directions.

Maclure said before him it had been Walls who passed the baton on to him...It went without saying that the role then fell to Kernahan

Fevola was a great forward but probably more of a "Get out of the way' guy than a General mustering the troops.
(That may be a bit harsh)

The discussion on 360 questioned who should be our general.
King suggested it should be Charlie Curnow who stepped up.
Maclure wasn't so sure....his choice ...Kade Simpson.

Simpson probably doesn't have a lot of time left...Is this a role he could step into while Curnow gains a bit more experience?
Is there someone else?

Re: A General in the Forward Line

Reply #1
Just beat me to it (starting a forward line topic).

I actually liked what Sellers had to say - Simmo as the forward line General. King's suggestion of Charlie being the General on the forward line shows his lack of knowledge about Charlie... long time until, if ever, Charlie is a leader. Working flat out to take charge of himself at present.

Simpson is an excellent suggestion and would probably give him a new lease on life as well. Weitering seems ready to take the leadership mantle down back, closely followed by Jones
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #2
Another possibility is Thomas who is having a pretty solid start to the year and can also play forward.

Noticed him doing a fair bit of directing and talking to some of the young blokes at last weekend's game

Reply #3
Why can't it be McGovern? He's got more experience than our other forwards, and has played in a winning forward line at Adelaide

Reply #4
Why can't it be McGovern? He's got more experience than our other forwards, and has played in a winning forward line at Adelaide

I agree. Definitely not one of the oldies.

Reply #5

I'm with you Jack...McGovern has had some success at the Crows working with some of the best and is more experienced, Simpson, Daisy etc are short term fixes only and not dedicated forwards.
McGovern also has a good relationship with forward coach David Teague(ex crows) and I think good be a good conduit to the other players in explaining Teagues methods.

Reply #6
The position requires experience,respect and authority.
If McGovern ticks those boxes fine....

Perhaps the thing that may concern me just a little is that he's been part of this lack of cohesion.
Having said that we're only 4 games in and he's still working out how the others operate.

Reply #7
My only concern with Brackets is that he's new and probably hasn't earned his stripes yet, plus we don't know whether he's a leadership kinda cat.

Like the Daisy suggestion.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
We haven't really had a forward line general since Betts left. 

McGovern is still learning the caper and getting to know our blokes so it may be a challenge for him.

I'd prefer to see Daisy as a permanent forward and with the responsibility of untangling Charlie, Harry and the Gov and ensuring that we have crumbers in place for the long bombs to Gibbons  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
My only concern with Brackets is that he's new and probably hasn't earned his stripes yet, plus we don't know whether he's a leadership kinda cat.

Like the Daisy suggestion.
Brackets?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
I like the idea of Simpson as well.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-17/weird-footy-nicknames-so-why-do-they-call-gov-brackets
Ta
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #14
Simpson in the forward line reeks of Curnow in the forward line. If Simmo should have retired 2 years ago (as I believe), I see no reason why a move to the forward line would change that.

NO DEAL !!