Skip to main content
Topic: SSM Plebiscite (Read 111463 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SSM Plebiscite

Reply #420
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-marriage/bob-hawke-slams-122-million-gay-marriage-survey-as-worst-economic-call-by-an-australian-pm/news-story/0731408fb75214f4674734ffbaef706e

BOB Hawke has launched a blistering attack on Malcolm Turnbull’s $122 million gay marriage postal survey calling it the “worst economic decision made by any Australian Prime Minister”.

Agree with Bob on that point ;)
Total waste of money.

“I genuinely believe that the decision by Malcolm Fraser to have this postal vote is the worst economic decision made by any Prime Minister since Federation,” Mr Hawke said.

And Yes...
Bloody Fraser needs to wake up to himself ;D

(Red, Red wine ...Go to my head)

Reply #421
Great to see that Bob is still right on the ball.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #423
Apparently the timing of Lisa Wilkinson and Ian Fitzsimons getting remarried on their 25th Wedding Anniversary was a semi-deliberate or thoughtless act of taking the pi55! ::)

Quote from: Wendy Tuohy, The Hun
But the timing of the much-publicised event does feel awkward.

Obviously, the celebration triggered by FitzSimons seeing his wife in the white dress she wore to the 2015 Logies and asking her to remarry him on their 25th anniversary was planned years ago.

But the fact their happy day landed as millions of Australians have a piece of paper in their kitchens effectively asking them to pass judgment on the value of other people’s relationships (and lives) does feel poignant.

The Wilkinson-FitzSimons festival was broadcast to anyone with a smartphone by dozens of married, heterosexual guests, sharing images of what it means to a loving couple to be able to openly celebrate their love and have it recognised.

Yet around the country are so many couples who have been in relationships the same length of time, or longer, who do not have the basic civil right to do similar.

Is there any wonder the public is jaded? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #424
After the SSM plebiscite, there should be an S&M plebiscite.

Finally an ideology I can embrace.

Reply #425
I can't wait for the fracking and Adani mine plebiscites.

Reply #426
Anyone get the feeling this result may be close.
My Facebook friend list is pretty much a cross section,
I have some extreme religious folk and some folks with strong left wing views and it's breaking about 50-50
One of the interesting aspects is a group of Labor stalwarts who also have a strong Christian background who are voting NO.

Reply #427
I have some extreme religious folk and some folks with strong left wing views and it's breaking about 50-50
One of the interesting aspects is a group of Labor stalwarts who also have a strong Christian background who are voting NO.
I tried the same exercise with my family and extended family.

about 8 from 10 out of roughly 120 people in my extended family/friends circle are likely to vote no.

Probably about typical of the wider Greek orthodox community of Melbourne.

I was going through a pile of junk mail the other day and found my voting forms which makes me and my wife null votes and I think apathy is likely to get the chocolates to be honest.

I also found a voting form about proposed routes for North East link which is actually quite high impact to me so that gives you an idea of how these things can become part of the list of things to do and not gotten done.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #428

I don't think it will be close, and that's the reason the Christian conservatives are desperately trying to postpone the inevitable with alternative bills and warnings of threats to religious freedom.  I'd like to see the issue taken a little further and give folk freedom from religion  :)

I was listening to a Liberal MP on the radio a couple of days ago and he is expecting at least 60% in favour.  Anyway, it's only a couple of days until we will know for sure.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #429
One might even go as far as to suggest some already know the result?

;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #430
I read somewhere 3 - 4 weeks ago that it looks like about an 80% response with a 60% YES vote.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #431
I don't think it will be close, and that's the reason the Christian conservatives are desperately trying to postpone the inevitable with alternative bills and warnings of threats to religious freedom.  I'd like to see the issue taken a little further and give folk freedom from religion  :)

I was listening to a Liberal MP on the radio a couple of days ago and he is expecting at least 60% in favour.  Anyway, it's only a couple of days until we will know for sure.

I've mentioned this before and I stand by it, a 60/40 vote either way is the worst outcome that could possibly occur.

In my opinion anything that suggests a result with a margin that falls in a range that is even remotely reversible will rip the country apart with protests, riots and persecution from both sides of the debate. Neither side has a monopoly on extremists. The problem is the surveys shows more than 20% of the voting public are undecided, that leaves any 60/40 vote within the reach of a draw regardless of which way it falls!

This plebiscite is perhaps the most gutless pole ever conducted by parliamentarians in the history of the nation!

For example if having a pole was such a good idea on this sort of issue, why didn't Howard give the public a vote on guns, will the gun lobby demand a pole in the future to reverse Howard's laws, and if they don't get it would it lead to protests, radical agendas and extremist actions?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #432
I've mentioned this before and I stand by it, a 60/40 vote either way is the worst outcome that could possibly occur.

In my opinion anything that suggests a result with a margin that falls in a range that is even remotely reversible will rip the country apart with protests, riots and persecution from both sides of the debate. Neither side has a monopoly on extremists. The problem is the surveys shows more than 20% of the voting public are undecided, that leaves any 60/40 vote within the reach of a draw regardless of which way it falls!

This plebiscite is perhaps the most gutless pole ever conducted by parliamentarians in the history of the nation!

For example if having a pole was such a good idea on this sort of issue, why didn't Howard give the public a vote on guns, will the gun lobby demand a pole in the future to reverse Howard's laws, and if they don't get it would it lead to protests, radical agendas and extremist actions?

Think you'll find that 80% is a bloody good sample size! And if that's 60/40 you can bet the 20% of undecided would also fall 60/40.

As for gutless? Absolutely agree. Cowardice 101.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #433
Think you'll find that 80% is a bloody good sample size! And if that's 60/40 you can bet the 20% of undecided would also fall 60/40.

As for gutless? Absolutely agree. Cowardice 101.

Baggers, do you think the extremists on either side care about understanding statistics?

It will be a minority causing all the problems, the whole plebiscite is a minority issue! The ads and tactics in use by both sides should be a clear indication to the average person of how far they are prepared to go! Both sides have debates full mostly of fake news, cloaking some very real underlying issues!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #434

I have met 1 and only 1 person who is a 'no' voter. A semi-retired 60+ year old bricklayer. Not surprised of his vote.

Even the church i drive past on punt road is spruiking 'yes'.

I don't know if the rest of australia is thinking very differently to melbourne, but i still can't see it.