Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Postulations Round 16 Carlton vs Sydney at Metricon. (Read 4401 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Postulations Round 16 Carlton vs Sydney at Metricon.

Reply #15
It just screams stupid that we retired Daisy way too early.  Still angry about that.

Reply #16
It just screams stupid that we retired Daisy way too early.  Still angry about that.

Yes and no.

We probably expected Stocker to come on given he showed signs last year.
We probably didn't expect Newman to have done his knee (we have been 1 HBF down from a knee 3 years in a row now - Doc 2, Newman 1)
We probably didn't expect Marchbank to basically miss the entire year as well.

Reply #17
Would like to see Owies given a taste. He is the only untried player I'd think was important to have a look at by the end of the season. Ramsay we could give a game to I suppose but he is still in his teens whereas Owies is, what, 24? I don't mean that as a criticism, I understand he went out of the system for a while, but it seems to me we need to make a call on him and a look at him in AFL company would help and indeed it would be unfair on him to cut him at the end of season without that look IMO.

The other untried players are Phillips and O'Dwyer who I don't think are near it and the injured Kemp.

Others I'd like to give more time to this year are O'Brien who needs to show something and Macreadie who I really rate if he can stay on the park. If Cripps needs a rest play Kennedy in the role and see if he has what it takes. I don't think we can go with both in the same side too often unless they switch the centre/third key forward roles between themselves but that means having to make choices about other key forwards. We have a plethora of key forwards ATM but that doesn't mean we should play them all at once, much less then go 2 ruckmen into the bargain.

The team looked tired last night. We are back on Tuesday night Rotation time perhaps? Reading the comments about the recent scratch matches suggests to me that there are a number of the younger players who they would want to keep working on at that level at the moment - Ramsay and Philp being 2. If you really wanted to do a refresh without going uber-inexperienced you could look at bringing in Lang - I don't think there is a future for him but as a stop-gap if we rest the experienced guys en masse I wouldn't object. Other than Murphy who I think is trying his guts out and not looking tired there is no shortage of senior guys and indeed not so senior guys (eg Willo) who could do with a rest. Even Murphy might struggle to come up again so quickly. Not that I expect them to do this, nor do I think mass rotations is the way to go but if they wanted to how about this team:

OUT: Cottrell Dow Polson (omitted) Simpson Williamson Cripps Casboult Betts Pittonet Murphy (managed)

IN: Plowman Macreadie Kennedy Cuningham Gibbons (experienced returning from break) Lang (in for experience) O'Brien (time to show something) TDK (still a couple of years off his best but AFL-ready) Honey (kid) Owies (debutant but not a kid)

Thats TEN changes - out with 4 fairly young/inexperienced players, 1 slightly more experienced , 1 struggling superstar and 3 veterans, in with 5 guys with decent experience, 2 with a bit of experience and 2 kids 1 on debut. Yes we lose top end experience but they are all as it seems to me struggling ATM and facing a second short turnaround.

Here is how I would have them line up:

SPS Weitering Plowman
Docherty Macreadie Newnes
Fisher Kennedy Walsh
Cuningham McKay Gibbons
Jones McGovern Owies
TDK Martin E Curnow
Honey Lang O'Brien Setterfield

Jones can give TDK a chop out in the ruck to save McKay doing the role. McKay to push up as the outlet for defenders, McGovern leading into the space behind him Jones staying close to goal to give a contest for the long bomb in if nothing else presents. Don't expect him to be a goal machine but to contest hit packs hard, create some chaos and not be outmarked too often. McKay and McGovern (especially the latter) to be expected to work hard and keep presenting. If defensive talls get exposed Jones or McGovern can be thrown back. Fisher back in the middle where he wants to be and a look at some of the younger players we need to find out about.

MC will no doubt keep some of the older guys, hope they work out which ones have the legs to go again Tuesday, that is more crucial than form at the moment.

Change a few for recovery but we don't want to over-analyse. We didn't lose the last two game because we were $hit, after all we led them for most of the game, we lost because we $hit the bed in the last qtr needing to win to play finals. Without that mental issue we'd be playing next month in finals. We may well go 8-9 but should've been more 10-7 at least. We $hit the bed late against Melbourne, Port, Collingwood and GWS. Led the Eagles by a fair way too before falling apart. Did get one back against Freo but even then goalkicking nearly cost us after we dominated after qtr time. Need to sort that mental aspect. Usually comes with confidence. After years of losing we don't have much of that at all unfortunately.

Reply #18
We showed as much confidence as spanner has in Murf.

Reply #19
Change a few for recovery but we don't want to over-analyse. We didn't lose the last two game because we were $hit, after all we led them for most of the game, we lost because we $hit the bed in the last qtr needing to win to play finals. Without that mental issue we'd be playing next month in finals. We may well go 8-9 but should've been more 10-7 at least. We $hit the bed late against Melbourne, Port, Collingwood and GWS. Led the Eagles by a fair way too before falling apart. Did get one back against Freo but even then goalkicking nearly cost us after we dominated after qtr time. Need to sort that mental aspect. Usually comes with confidence. After years of losing we don't have much of that at all unfortunately.
Hawks game Jim, 5 up...
Saw a picture today titled Carltons costly qtrs
rnd 3 v Geel 4Q. -33 Margin
rnd 2 v Mel 1Q  -32 Margin
rnd 9 v Haw 2Q -32
rnd 1 v Rich 1Q -31
rnd 14 v Coll 4Q  -26
rnd 15 v GWS 4Q  -24
rnd 11 v WC 3Q -24
rnd 5 v STK 1Q -20
rnd 12 v Fre 1Q -19

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
Depending on fitness:

IN: Kennedy, Cunningham, TDK, O'Brien
OUT: Dow, Polson, Pittonet, SPS

Not a fan of O'Brien but if he's part of the long term plan then we need to see if he's up to it. SPS just looks lazy and not working hard enough.

There's a few other possibilities.....resting Betts, Cripps etc.

Agree with other comments....doesn't matter where Sydney are on the ladder, always tough to beat....with Parker and Kennedy in the middle we'll be up against it.

Reply #21
Think we would have to view a loss to Sydney as a setback, they really are not what they were and without Buddy lacking some teeth down forward.
You look at their last FF line of Wicks McCartin and Mclean and most of us wouldnt even know who they were and what they do.
FB Melican, CHB Allir, C Rowbottom.....kids and hopefuls....
No Rampe down back either, even McGovern and Dow should be able to get a kick vs this mob.
Honestly you would expect to beat them by 5 goals easy if we can kick straight, a loss vs them would be totally unacceptable.

Reply #22
Think we would have to view a loss to Sydney as a setback, they really are not what they were and without Buddy lacking some teeth down forward.
You look at their last FF line of Wicks McCartin and Mclean and most of us wouldnt even know who they were and what they do.
No Rampe down back either, even McGovern and Dow should be able to get a kick vs this mob.
Honestly you would expect to beat them by 5 goals easy if we can kick straight, a loss vs them would be totally unacceptable.

Matchup of the week...
Whoever plays on Papley.

Papley is a bit out of form, but still the type that we will struggle to contain. If Polson plays, i suspect he will get first crack.
I'd be inclined to give Cottrell a go at him too.

If we control that matchup, we'll have enough around the ground to get over them.

.....assuming we can work out how to kick the ball in the meantime. Between the BIG STICKS!

Reply #23
Make Weitering & Walsh co-captains for the next game.

Why?? If that’s the perceived scenario, just give it to Weitering! More mature, more experienced, ready for, and in a position to accept, extra responsibility.  Just let Walsh  develop his game.

Reply #24
Just have to end the year off with a few more wins in games especially in the next 2 games when we are expected to win.
Don’t get all the resting players to play kids for the sake of it considering where we are played in this rebuild.
Vital we show the footy world we have taken a clear step up and are on the right track and resting our better players to give kids a run is too risky imo as wins are what we are going to be measured off and considering the need to attract players in trade week just can’t afford to drop games in the next 2 weeks.

Reply #25
Matchup of the week...
Whoever plays on Papley.

Papley is a bit out of form, but still the type that we will struggle to contain. If Polson plays, i suspect he will get first crack.
I'd be inclined to give Cottrell a go at him too.

If we control that matchup, we'll have enough around the ground to get over them.

.....assuming we can work out how to kick the ball in the meantime. Between the BIG STICKS!
Papley is a good mark for his inches and I reckon Polson would struggle to cover him in the air but would have the leg speed to keep with on the lead and in general play. Williamson would have the size and is mobile enough but I'm not sure his head in the right space to handle the job.

Reply #26

Hopefully we don't have a let down now we are not playing finals. That could be tough to get up from mentally. Swans aren't a good side but they give you 100% so if any side is down on the day against them they'll get you or at least make life a misery.

Reply #27
Hopefully we don't have a let down now we are not playing finals. That could be tough to get up from mentally. Swans aren't a good side but they give you 100% so if any side is down on the day against them they'll get you or at least make life a misery.
Mathematically still possible providing the tatts numbers fall our way and I'd be hoping we can beat up on the Swans and
iron out a few problems like Harry kicking straight, Mcgovern and Dow just getting a kick and Cripps could practice his goalkicking too. But I get what you mean Jim...we are Carlton and doing the obvious easy things well and winning games we are expected too isnt a script we usually get right but we have to finish well and not waste the season.

Reply #28
swans play that running handball game ,did against gws and it worked i hope our selection panel bring in some runners into team and not same personnel

Reply #29
The boys owe us this one!
Reality always wins in the end.