Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Prattle: AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda at Marvel (Read 23548 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Prattle: AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda at Marvel

Reply #105
I'd have kept Setterfield ahead of Plowman.
Agree, Plow has been terrible this year. Need Jonesy back ASAP, never thought I'd say that but he was in AA form before the KO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #106
It already is 6 wins from 43.

THe magical numbers you throw around each week are chosen because the 2 weeks before that, were wins.....but that hurts the argument so they are conveniently left out.

If we do win the next 2, then it'd be 8 wins from 45. ;)

WOW! Now that's impressive. I'll be getting finals tickets tomorrow!

Holy mackerel. When we celebrate and are grateful for the potential of 8 from 45... sheesh, how far have we fallen. There'll be dancing in the streets when we win more than 4 games in a season. :( :(
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #107
WOW! Now that's impressive. I'll be getting finals tickets tomorrow!

Holy mackerel. When we celebrate and are grateful for the potential of 8 from 45... sheesh, how far have we fallen. There'll be dancing in the streets when we win more than 4 games in a season. :( :(

If you've read any of my posts recently you'd be aware that i've been mocking Jim for repeatedly using those numbers...in every post.

You should also be aware that i don't think the sheer win/losses stat is a fair indicator on where we are now, compared to years prior.

Reply #108
If you've read any of my posts recently you'd be aware that i've been mocking Jim for repeatedly using those numbers...in every post.

You should also be aware that i don't think the sheer win/losses stat is a fair indicator on where we are now, compared to years prior.

If you re read those figures before you posted them, you wouldn’t bother
Seriously dumb argument

Reply #109
If you re read those figures before you posted them, you wouldn’t bother
Seriously dumb argument

Point is, it could be 0 from 45 and it doesn't change my opinion.

Reply #110

I know

It reminds of the election

All our policies are fine and Bill is wonderful

Reply #111

Agree. Nobody is saying the W/L is great. Clearly it's lousy. The salient questions are whether things could realistically be any different given the path we've taken, and whether changing the coach, now or at any point in the recent past, would make a difference. I say no. One needs to also bear in mind that changing an entire culture, and an entire club, is a massive task, and takes time. If you believe the hype, we are now doing things very differently from the past. Folks like to zero in on the coach as the cause of our poor performances, but there could be many other factors e.g discord between players, maybe involving WAGS, drugs etc. The possibilities are endless.

I think people need to move away from the "great men of history" theory. It's way more complex than one man. No messiah in the last 20 years has made much difference.

Reply #112
The question in my mind is what is the club's tolerance for continuing to lose? Eventually, and I think end of season at the latest, that tolerance will be exhausted. That will drive the club's actions above anything else in a highly competitive environment such as the AFL.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
The question in my mind is what is the club's tolerance for continuing to lose? Eventually, and I think end of season at the latest, that tolerance will be exhausted. That will drive the club's actions above anything else in a highly competitive environment such as the AFL.

If changing the coach meant a permanent move up the ladder, rather than a honeymoon, dead cat bounce, I'd agree. I'm just not sure that it will.

Reply #114
I know

It reminds of the election

All our policies are fine and Bill is wonderful

Then you end up with Trump. People don't always make good decisions, and their motives are not always rational, clear or well thought out.

Reply #115
If changing the coach meant a permanent move up the ladder, rather than a honeymoon, dead cat bounce, I'd agree. I'm just not sure that it will.

Paul, stopping the pain will become the main and immediate driver. Moving on from that comes next. Not saying it will necessarily lead to success but change will be made on that basis.

Reply #116
Whilst I am extremely disappointed with the results of the last couple of weeks, I do hope we don't just come out 'breathing fire' as I think from this young group that will result in a possible win this week and stinker the next.

We must use the events as a watershed moment where the players take collective responsibility and improve across the ground. I don't think this is Bolton.

The player driven extra skills (Cripps and Dow), while encouraging to read, how many others are doing it? This for mine is the mark that will show our real improvement. There are not too many on our list that should be satisfied with their skill levels - the easy turnovers and poor execution are trained and practised, and if we want to really improve as a group this simply has to happen and be driven by the players.

The intent and pressure around the ball, that is a player decision, how hard do you run, how hard do you commit? That is the players making the decision, all the lovely game plans in the world fall apart if you cannot execute due to the effort.

So by all means, breath fire, but I want to see a consistent lift in intensity across the ground, and over the next couple of weeks an understanding of what it takes to compete at AFL level. It is a bit like a room full of new University graduates - everyone has a degree, so what sets you apart? Our young AFL 'champions' could be anything or not much, they actually make the decision.

Reply #117
Paul, stopping the pain will become the main and immediate driver. Moving on from that comes next. Not saying it will necessarily lead to success but change will be made on that basis.

To me, this sounds like crisis management. No actual plan going forward, just do what we've always done because we can't work through things properly. Let's sack the coach to relieve the pressure.

Reply #118
To me, this sounds like crisis management. No actual plan going forward, just do what we've always done because we can't work through things properly. Let's sack the coach to relieve the pressure.

Don't we have a crisis?

Reply #119
Don't we have a crisis?

Well, that depends on who you ask. I've said many times I expected us to be bottom 2 this year, not because of any inherent fault with Bolton or the plan, but it's just the simple reality of where our club and list is at. Clearly that makes me as popular as a dose of the clap, but it is what it is.