Skip to main content
Topic: Flying the Flag (Read 7939 times) previous topic - next topic

Flying the Flag

This is the best news I've heard for a decade!

Quote from: The Rage
Carlton were dismayed that no one showed support for their former skipper Marc Murphy after his ribs were broken in an encounter with Giants' enforcer Shane Mumford in the first quarter of last Sunday's 93-point loss to Greater Western Sydney.

The Blues were 39 points down at the time but it was only skipper Patrick Cripps who made any attempt to remonstrate with Mumford as Murphy lay on the ground in pain.

Blues coach Brendon Bolton revealed that Cripps was particularly disappointed at the team's response at that point and said the moment was an opportunity for teammates to express their feelings.

"It is important to fly the flag when someone gets hurt," Bolton said.

.................Read the Full Article HERE

The Force Awakens!

Re: Flying the Flag

Reply #1
Only 100 years too late, but anyway.

Let's hope the talk extends into on field deeds.

Reply #2
Only 100 years too late, but anyway.

Let's hope the talk extends into on field deeds.

Yeah it's Friday, everyone has moved on to the next round.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
We'll win this week (or die trying)

Once you make a bit of noise about this kind of thing you just can't afford to not come ready to be fierce at the contest.
St Kilda should be expecting that and will try to match it.
It should be a great contest.
If the players put in another lacklustre effort they will have nowhere to hide.

Reply #4
Caro trying to ruffle Judds feathers has him fire up. Interesting read their about where BB stands on flying the flag and Support for Cripps. I wonder if the recent players only meeting had this issue come up in the discussion.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #5
If we are ever going to be taken seriously in this competition then anytime one of players gets whacked like Murphy did then we need all of the players in there pushing & shoving and where possible, landing one on someone's chin.

I will be comfortable with a suspension or two if it sends a message to the other clubs that we will not be bullied.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #6
If we are ever going to be taken seriously in this competition then anytime one of players gets whacked like Murphy did then we need all of the players in there pushing & shoving and where possible, landing one on someone's chin.

I will be comfortable with a suspension or two if it sends a message to the other clubs that we will not be bullied.

So long as they're smart about it - get one of the fringe players to do it and cop the suspension.

Reply #7
So long as they're smart about it - get one of the fringe players to do it and cop the suspension.

Totally agree Paul, but I was told that was thuggish behaviour and belongs only in the NRL.

Funny thing is, nearly all other sides do it to us.
Sick to farking death of it.

We look so passive its disgusting.

Reply #8
Culture
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
Caro trying to ruffle Judds feathers has him fire up. Interesting read their about where BB stands on flying the flag and Support for Cripps. I wonder if the recent players only meeting had this issue come up in the discussion.

The Hawks have never been soft, one could say they often border on dirty (but get away with it)?

One would have thought Bolts would have brought a similar mind set across?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #10
Totally agree Paul, but I was told that was thuggish behaviour and belongs only in the NRL.

I've mentioned before (which I say a lot these days), that I don't want us to be the aggressors, I want us to have a reputation that means other clubs simply won't even try it on, because they know if they do they will get it back 10 fold, like players don't bother having a go at Hodge, because it's a waste of time.

Reply #11
Flyboy. This is a good question. Maybe the players haven’t been buying what he is selling.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #12
I’m sure I posted this a couple of years ago. It’s still relevant.

The ‘99’ Call on the British Lions Tour to South Africa many years ago by my countryman, Willie John McBride, who was the Captain of the Tour and how he dealt with dirty play against his Team. A real old school Leader. Remember, Union was still amateur back then.

https://youtu.be/hU-c4YyEVMY

It’s a great wee video of him telling the story of how he came up with it. I think it has a place in today’s game. No matter what bleeding heart, group think left wingers say. It’s a contact sport and sometimes lines need to be drawn. Anyway have a watch of it.
Keep the Faith

Reply #13

You've confused flying the flag with Paul Gallen Cheap Shot Bastardry again!

They are talking about responding when some Gallen type thug hands it out or tries to, not becoming a Gallen!

We've been bullied twice in three weeks, and the best why to deal with bullies is to stand up to them in unison!

Further, in my opinion, that applies to the club in it's public media face as well!

Nobody voluntarily gives or treats you with respect in the AFL, you've got to take it or earn it, but it won't ever be home delivered!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
The Hawks have never been soft, one could say they often border on dirty (but get away with it)?

One would have thought Bolts would have brought a similar mind set across?

It's wasn't ever the babies or lightweights flying the flag at the Dawks, it was Hodge, Franklin, Roughead, Dew, Brown, Renouf, Bailey, Lewis, Gibson, Lake, McEvoy, etc., etc..
The Force Awakens!