Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2020: Post Game Post Mortum: Carlton vs. Richmond (Read 12931 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2020: Post Game Post Mortum: Carlton vs. Richmond

Reply #45
I think it's doomed to fail if you are relying on the likes of Dow to chase down an opponent and lock the footy inside F50.

Not sure how many had Dow in their best 22, i didn't. He got games through injuries to others - eg Eddie.

But he does have talent. He just lacks confidence. I'm not sure how he is going to get that back given we don't have a VFL side.

Reply #46
It so much easier to play like Richmond does when you can push every opponent fair and square in the back and not be penalised, they have become so use to doing it and getting away with it, that they take immediate offence whenever an umpire pings them for doing it! Are whingers are winners, is that why they get away with it!

Richmond have two critical techniques that help them win games;

- Play on Richmond

Dimma(Just let em play!!!!) has bashed the umpires so much in the media, along the way inciting the aggressive Nthmond fans to support his perspective, that the umpires are now scared to penalise them. This manifests itself as alllowing all Nthmond players to push opponents in the back, or dive on the football, and not be penalised, they can even play on after a mark and you'll be given a 50m if you try to tackle them. If you touch a Nthmond player, even if the umpires perceive you thinking about touching a Nthmond player, the whistle goes off. Last night someone commented that an umpires whistle appeared to go off before any contact was even made, surely that is a broadcast audio bug!

- The Richmond Release

Most of us call it a throw, players from most clubs in the AFL get penalised for doing it, but Nthmond do not and they have taken it to a whole new penalty free level!
Thats right, blame the umps and the other mob for our ineptness with the basics of the game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
23 tackles is putrid even if you add 20% on to make it 29.

Our tackling average last year was 63. The lowest team in the comp was 57.

Yep, that as sit. Think Richmond only had 45. Not alot either but alot better than 23.

Reply #48
3AW Kruz suspected fractured/ broken fibula.

Reply #49
They beat us with a team almost the same as the team that won the 2019 GF easily.
They have very few injury worries at the moment.
Put a fit Betts, McKay and Charlie C in our team and we could have been very close last night.

Jack Martin looks like a damn good pick-up for nothing.

Dow needs a lot of time in the NB's before he plays AFL again.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #50
Yep, that as sit. Think Richmond only had 45. Not alot either but alot better than 23.

52 add 20% = 65
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #51
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
How are were supposed to develop kids when there is no secondary competition?

You don't learn golf on the course.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #53
Hey everybody ! Why so glum ?

In these uncertain, challenging, difficult times, when the future is anyone's guess, it's comforting to know that there are some things we can rely on, some things that are constants, and that provide some surety among all the confusion.

Anyhoo, go back to the pre game thread and most were predicting a 10 goal shellacking. Apart from Houli, they were basically full strength, whereas we had a number of outs. They are the form team of the last 3 years, and we have been, well.............

The numbers all look pretty good for us after 1/4 time, except for tackles and disposal efficiency. With the former,you should only lay 23 tackles when you control 80% of the ball and win by 70+. With the latter, this is why blokes like Brad Hill would have been fantastic for us, even if he was rather pricey.

It's another honorable loss against a super team.     

Reply #54
Ah yes, were 45 at 3/4 time. 45-17. Memory isn't like it once was...lol.

Reply #55
Bloody Hardwick not so subtly suggesting that Lynch and Riewoldt were victims of dirty tactics by our defenders, and not picked up by the umps.

Reply #56
Cry me a river.

Yes Dow shouldn't play 1s for a long time. Poor draft pick, time will tell.

Newnes will get better as he gels, and he was NOT GOING TO BE DELISTED.

It would have been very weird out there - we were nowhere in the first quarter AND the umpires reamed us.

If we had converted a few more of the easy chances and not given them so many freebies, well. It's a game of inches.

On the umps, how many times did the umps let things play on when they were tackled - aren't you required to make an effort to dispose of the ball any more?

13 tackles in H1 says everything about where we were mentality.

44 points in one quarter - done and dusted.

Yet, we got back to what? 15 and had a chance to then kick another?

We are laughed upon how we complain about everything. injuries, umpires.. heard it all before

Excuse after excuse after excuse.

Buckle in for another bottom 2 finish.

Reply #57
Not sure how many had Dow in their best 22, i didn't. He got games through injuries to others - eg Eddie.

But he does have talent. He just lacks confidence. I'm not sure how he is going to get that back given we don't have a VFL side.

A lack of confidence doesn't make you jog behind your opponent when you're probably equally fast if not faster, this guy chases at half rat pace, get rid of him, send the list a message!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
A lack of confidence doesn't make you jog behind your opponent when you're probably equally fast if not faster, this guy chases at half rat pace, get rid of him, send the list a message!

I'm sure it happened on many an occasion but one stood out to me where that occurred. Can't recall who had the ball, but Dow was 'chasing' him, jogging behind him.....but Dusty was 'following him' as well.
First thought was CHASE HARDER.
Second thought was if he does, that means Dusty gets an easy handball receive and is off running into open space. So i'm not sure if it was intentional, but it was actually the right thing to do.

Fans often get frustrated when players are 'corralling' an opponent rather than tackling....but there is method to the madness. Corralling is usually playing the %'s. Sometimes attacking an opponent is high risk, low reward.

Again, not sure if it was intentional in the above example, i hope it was, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that example.

Reply #59
Correct, sometimes giving up the chase is the right thing to do.

Having said that Dow needs to be dropped.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!