Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 10758 times) previous topic - next topic

Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

I know what I want to happen. I dare to dream.
Will I be having nightmares? Fill in this thread when we know.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #1
Well, ran out of gas and bundle dropped in the last few minutes but nowhere near as bad a loss as I feared. Still gutted though and we need to regroup and refocus for next week - must win that and not let this be looked upon as an heroic loss. We made some bad errors.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
Riewoldt saying some kids we heavily invested in at the draft are not looking up to it.

No prizes for guessing who fits that bill.

Then doubles up and singles out Lochie OBrien for his stuff ups.

.....but i'm being negative.

Reply #3
I've given up hoping... I'm now wishing
20 yrs of no success is long enough chaps.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #4
Efficient vs Inefficient, that is all.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
Riewoldt saying some kids we heavily invested in at the draft are not looking up to it.

No prizes for guessing who fits that bill.

Then doubles up and singles out Lochie OBrien for his stuff ups.

.....but i'm being negative.
Have to agree, dissapointed in a few young players and we don't have the depth to carry players even young ones.

Reply #6
O'Brien spent most of last year playing nothing matches in the boonies. He comes up against the reigning premiers, and is found wanting. Maybe he should be given a string of senior matches to get up to speed ? He was never going to come in and look up to speed.

Reply #7
O'Brien spent most of last year playing nothing matches in the boonies. He comes up against the reigning premiers, and is found wanting. Maybe he should be given a string of senior matches to get up to speed ? He was never going to come in and look up to speed.
He didn't look up to speed in the practice matches.
He has never looked up to speed.
Dow looked more up to speed in game 1 than lob does now.

I want him to succeed,  I really do, but I can't fathom what the club sees in him.

You are the MC. You have 21 players picked and are looking for the 22nd.
You have LOB, cottrell and a half fit betts at your disposal. Who do you pick to help you win the game?

Reply #8
Disappointed again to start another season with a loss.
We looked out of puff in last quarter which is very odd considering we had a one month longer preseason then they did and have the fitness god everyone raved about.
Really liked the look of a few of the new guys. Fogarty works very hard and users it well and thought Saad also worked well into the game and was as good defensively as offensively.  Both will be good pick ups based on that showing.
Walsh is an out and out star who has a tank like rob harvey. Kane Cornes just has to admit it after that display against the be eh best.
Liked plowmans game , gibbons and thought fisher was handy and looked dangerous. Cripps faded bad when we needed him most which hurt us but started like a train.
Overall all things considered we pushed the best team In it to 4 goals and if not for some
Unlikely 50 metre penalties felt more like a 2
goal loss.
We get Williams and hopefully Martin back and if we can continue to play to that level we will definitely be in the mix for a top 8 finish. Would likely have accounted for all but a top 4 team tonight imo so let’s not paint the picture we are a basket case pls.

Reply #9
The will is there. Rushed at some crucial times when we should have slowed it down a little. Next week will tell us more about our year. Williams will make a difference.

Reply #10
Disappointed again to start another season with a loss.
We looked out of puff in last quarter which is very odd considering we had a one month longer preseason then they did and have the fitness god everyone raved about.
Really liked the look of a few of the new guys. Fogarty works very hard and users it well and thought Saad also worked well into the game and was as good defensively as offensively.  Both will be good pick ups based on that showing.
Walsh is an out and out star who has a tank like rob harvey. Kane Cornes just has to admit it after that display against the be eh best.
Liked plowmans game , gibbons and thought fisher was handy and looked dangerous. Cripps faded bad when we needed him most which hurt us but started like a train.
Overall all things considered we pushed the best team In it to 4 goals and if not for some
Unlikely 50 metre penalties felt more like a 2
goal loss.
We get Williams and hopefully Martin back and if we can continue to play to that level we will definitely be in the mix for a top 8 finish. Would likely have accounted for all but a top 4 team tonight imo so let’s not paint the picture we are a basket case pls.
Fogarty is a nice player but his kicking is iffy, bit of an awkward ball drop and I prefer him by hand....
Got a few players who put in the short steps tonight and thats going to hurt us if it continues, we might lose to a few less talented teams if we cant straighten a few players up..

Reply #11
Sorry PaulP, I don't know that he has any more gears to go faster.

My TV was lucky to survive that howler in the last quarter.  I thought I was watching an Under 16 match for a few seconds there......

And someone please tell Harry to stop and kick a drop punt every time he marks the ball.  He should have kicked 5 tonight.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #12
In all,
we ran out of gas (why is that Mr Russell?)
made some silly errors around goal
the reigning premiers haven't lost momentum

Until the last junk time goals, we held our own despite a relentless attack. We were there abouts around the ball. The difference in the end was our slower developing kids vs seasoned hard running mids. 

Not all is lost. We have plenty of growth if we had a bit of luck with injuries, and with Williams to come in.

Amazing to witness the free kick differential 😲

Well done to OMac
Speedy recovery to Jack
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #13
Richmond have nearly won more finals in the last four years than we have won H&A games (stats not checked!).  They are the best.

I was expecting an 8-10 goal loss.  Compared against the last few years, it was a much better effort.  We could have rolled over after they kicked the last four goals of the second quarter - but we came out and got back to it in the third.  Of course, the question remains, why we allow the run ons.

We got within 4 points in the last - don't think that Richmond were that comfortable.

Did we have our chances?  Yes.  Did we take them?  Mostly not.  Is everyone sick of it?  Yes.  Is our depth great enough?  No.  Is it better than it was? Yes.  If we play like we did tonight, will we win more games than last season?  I would like to think so.

Reply #14
Whilst it was an “ honourable loss” the lack of midfield pressure outside Cripps, Curnow and Walsh remains a problem and we desperately need one or more of Setterfield, Dow or SPS to fill the void

Additionally, LOB, Murphy, Casboult, Jones weren’t good enough in some crucial moments tonight and at this level that can mean the different between a win and a loss

The good news is that we will be better far better off with Martin, Williams, McGovern next week (and Dekoning soon) and I’d expect one of Cunningham or Stocker to come in also.