Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 11092 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #135
Has anyone read the Michael Barlow article in the West Australian? I couldn't - subscription wall. It created a lot of conversation on FB.

He asked if most of the players really had the 'will' to win.

I bring this up, and was drawn to the article's headline, by worrying that this group -- with the exception of a few -- just don't know how to win.

Thoughts? This is not a discussion about talent, because it is there (except maybe for midfield depth), but more about above the shoulders.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #136
Has anyone read the Michael Barlow article in the West Australian? I couldn't - subscription wall. It created a lot of conversation on FB.

He asked if most of the players really had the 'will' to win.

I bring this up, and was drawn to the article's headline, by worrying that this group -- with the exception of a few -- just don't know how to win.

Thoughts? This is not a discussion about talent, because it is there (except maybe for midfield depth), but more about above the shoulders.
Barlow has a point, in that remuneration for footballers is at such a high level now that you have to ask if the is a much greater benefit to be had from pushing for the ultimate prize.

I've heard The Hyphen say this before, he thought they deserve the money, but he said the remuneration / reward for winning should be a bigger percentage of the total so that players stay motivated. I'd be concerned that players who are solely motivated for money are the ones most likely to take a few short steps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #137
Barlow has a point, in that remuneration for footballers is at such a high level now that you have to ask if the is a much greater benefit to be had from pushing for the ultimate prize.

I've heard The Hyphen say this before, he thought they deserve the money, but he said the remuneration / reward for winning should be a bigger percentage of the total so that players stay motivated. I'd be concerned that players who are solely motivated for money are the ones most likely to take a few short steps.
Dusty Martin gets paid a truckload and looks very motivated, same with most of their players.......its that horrible boring word culture again. They just have a system that gets the best out of players.....Brisbane were the same....Voss, Brown..every week life on the line stuff. Maybe its the coaches...Hardwick, Matthews both loved a contest and hated losing, do anything to win...
Clarko another who will do anything to win and expects his players to be similar.

Reply #138
Dusty Martin gets paid a truckload and looks very motivated, same with most of their players.......its that horrible boring word culture again. They just have a system that gets the best out of players.....Brisbane were the same....Voss, Brown..every week life on the line stuff. Maybe its the coaches...Hardwick, Matthews both loved a contest and hated losing, do anything to win...
Clarko another who will do anything to win and expects his players to be similar.
True, a lot of that comes down to list management, we seem to cut the unsociable types!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #139
An an example, Cripps did that on at least 3 players. Ran though them like they weren't even there.....and he's smaller than Lynch

Krud agree 100%. Bigger body more likely to not be stopped. But i bet that the Richmond players tried to tackle Cripps and not bump him. My only issue is that he did not even try to tackle him he tried to bump him, face on!! Have a look at the replay, 6:26 remaining in the last quarter. Lynch just missed his shot on goal at a crucial time in the last quater.

Reply #140
Almost every time Cripps tried to run through people he stuffed it up. The one that came off was a lucky snap from Gibbons who was under a lot of pressure. Cripps needs to get back to basics, win the ball and give it off straight away, that's what made him the player he is. He's not Dusty and he never will be that sort of player.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #141
BTW - I am a little worried about Murphy.  His ball use is better than most but he has never been great without the ball and his chases do not inspire me.  Not sure who is the less inspirational chaser, Murphy or SPS.

Agree.  He looked very composed, ball in hand, in the front half, and actually tried to spot up a few leading forwards (which is very anti-Carlton of the past few years).  BUT, the half hearted chasing is very obvious at times.  All in all, I think I like the use of him forward.

Reply #142
Murphy is an interesting one for mine. Watching him on TV, he look like he simply doesn't tackle, ever. Yet when you look back to his tackle stats, more often than not he is up there in the top 5 at our club. I watched the game, and I can't recall ever seeing him lay a tackle. Yet he registered 3, when the game high was 5. I'm not sure what's going on, but I wonder if we judge him too harshly. He's played under several coaches, and they all seem to value him, otherwise why is he still on the list ?

Reply #143
Agree.  He looked very composed, ball in hand, in the front half, and actually tried to spot up a few leading forwards (which is very anti-Carlton of the past few years).  BUT, the half hearted chasing is very obvious at times.  All in all, I think I like the use of him forward.

Also his attempts to tackle often look, well shall we say half hearted, to be kind to him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #144
Also his attempts to tackle often look, well shall we say half hearted, to be kind to him.
 Since he stuffed his shoulders, ................ or should I say since we let the Lions beat up on him undefended very early in his career.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
At the ground I didn't think Murphy had much impact but my brother watching on TV thought he was pretty good. We often see what we want to see.

Reply #146
If Murphy is not playing on the ball then he is judged as a pure forward, in that case he would be pushed out by Betts and Martin.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #147
If Murphy is not playing on the ball then he is judged as a pure forward, in that case he would be pushed out by Betts and Martin.
How many pure forwards can we have?

Betts, Martin, Gibbons, sMurph, Fisher, Fogarty, they can't all be in that role so I suspect it's a bit of club spin.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #148
I can't recall Murphy laying a tackle either (obviously he did)
Every time he attempts it I expect it not to be executed.
It could be his stats relate to an initial holding up of a player and then he's supported in completing the tackle.

That may very well be related to shoulder injuries I've just come to accept that he's no longer strong enough in that department.
It can be costly and his contribution in other areas needs to make up for that deficiency.

Reply #149
I can't recall Murphy laying a tackle either (obviously he did)
Every time he attempts it I expect it not to be executed.
It could be his stats relate to an initial holding up of a player and then he's supported in completing the tackle.

That may very well be related to shoulder injuries I've just come to accept that he's no longer strong enough in that department.
It can be costly and his contribution in other areas needs to make up for that deficiency.
 Can anyone really recall any tackling players other than the run-down?
The Force Awakens!