Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 10975 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #150
In the old days Dusty's double-handed backwards toss would be called a throw by umpires, plenty of players get penalised each season doing this at ground level between legs, etc., etc.. Why is overhead different?

Has this rule changed or is it just another example of Special Nthmond rules under the influence of Dimma the Whinger?

fwiw; I think players can clench their fist and do that same action all day everyday without penalty, but the moment they open their hand in the same action it's a throw, always has been and always should be!

I though the VFL banned the flick pass decades ago!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
I don't think Murphy was ever billed as or promised to be a tackling demon, but the numbers suggest he does his bit.

Reply #152
Can anyone really recall any tackling players other than the run-down?

Fraser Brown :D

Reply #153
I don't think Murphy was ever billed as or promised to be a tackling demon, but the numbers suggest he does his bit.
Yes, there are quite few players, who do not have bung shoulders, but have plenty of closing speed and are well below sMurph on the tackling attempts.

Focussing too much on sMurph just offers them a smokescreen.

Plus in this debate, I'm not so sure attempting a tackle is useful if you aren't likely to stick it, perhaps holding back and exerting pressure is a better option, better than failing a tackling attempt and ending up off-balance or floored and out of the play. I don't think it is cut and dry as fans think, but it's an easy thing to focus on.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154
Fraser Brown :D
Yep, I think the point I'm trying to make is that excluding some very obvious run-downs that resulted in goals in clutch moments, I hardly recall a great offensive tackle, Fraser Brown, Levi Casboult, maybe one or two others.

But each week our defenders getting pegged with the pill, like Docherty, Plowman, Weitering, etc., etc., gets burnt into the back of my brain.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #155
In the old days Dusty's double-handed backwards toss would be called a throw by umpires, plenty of players get penalised each season doing this at ground level between legs, etc., etc.. Why is overhead different?

Has this rule changed or is it just another example of Special Nthmond rules under the influence of Dimma the Whinger?

fwiw; I think players can clench their fist and do that same action all day everyday without penalty, but the moment they open their hand in the same action it's a throw, always has been and always should be!

I though the VFL banned the flick pass decades ago!

He just hit the ball on, brilliant play from the GOAT.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #156
He just hit the ball on, brilliant play from the GOAT.
Greatest
Of
All
Throwers

Throw, always was always should be.

If it had been a GF, it would probably be called the "Hands of GOAT" moment!

Jack Dyer would describe it as a "Good Ordinary Attempted Throw"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #157
Yes, there are quite few players, who do not have bung shoulders, but have plenty of closing speed and are well below sMurph on the tackling attempts.

Focussing too much on sMurph just offers them a smokescreen.

Plus in this debate, I'm not so sure attempting a tackle is useful if you aren't likely to stick it, perhaps holding back and exerting pressure is a better option, better than failing a tackling attempt and ending up off-balance or floored and out of the play. I don't think it is cut and dry as fans think, but it's an easy thing to focus on.

Don't think I was focussing on him in particular but it is an area I would like us to collectively improve on. No matter how the numbers read, watching games tells me that we are not a very strong tackling team.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #158
I can't recall Murphy laying a tackle either (obviously he did)
Every time he attempts it I expect it not to be executed.
It could be his stats relate to an initial holding up of a player and then he's supported in completing the tackle.

That may very well be related to shoulder injuries I've just come to accept that he's no longer strong enough in that department.
It can be costly and his contribution in other areas needs to make up for that deficiency.

He actually laid 3 tackles, our 4th highest number. 3 blokes laid 4 tackles, Cripps, Saad and O'Brien.

Reply #159
Love or hate Murphy I think its time we moved on from him, ditto for Ed Curnow, Betts and probably Casboult(when we get a replacement). Its time to play younger players and look to change things up...vs Richmond it was the same old same old.
We didnt take our chances and fed them with mistakes they lived off, been the same for a while and getting the same results from the same group of players is bordering on insanity.
Play Fogarty in Murphys role and let him develop, bring in Stocker, Honey, Durdin to generate some excitement and find another tall forward/ruck to help TDK and Pittonet.
I think both Murphy and Betts have played one season too many and while you need experience you dont need players who are holding younger players back. Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge were all moved on by the Hawks to allow fresh blood to play.
I'll be saying the same thing about Cripps in a couple of years if we cant win a flag, let him go and lets gets some value for him while we can. Murphy should have been let go when we let Gibbs go, fresh start for him at a contending club and we get some picks/players who might help us more. Watching players just fizzle out like Murphy as one club players is old school thinking and its a professional game where the clubs needs come first.

Reply #160
Love or hate Murphy I think its time we moved on from him, ditto for Ed Curnow, Betts and probably Casboult(when we get a replacement). Its time to play younger players and look to change things up...vs Richmond it was the same old same old.
We didnt take our chances and fed them with mistakes they lived off, been the same for a while and getting the same results from the same group of players is bordering on insanity.
 While I agree, mostly it wasn't the old blokes making the bigger faux pas last Thursday, which is a bit of a problem.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #161

As the season progresses, depending on injuries, I think you'll find these changes will come to pass. Eddie has already said this'll be his last year. I suspect the form of Murphy and Curnow in particular will probably pick up for a while but it's unlikely they'll both continue though Ed can surprise. Levi was clearly not ready to play last week, so let's see what he produces this week. Once the King is ready to return and can show body endurance, it could well spell the end for Levi.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #162
Im going to make a call, and say these guys will get better as the season goes on.

The younguns will be variable through inconsistency, but the elders will work their way in.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #163
Curnow is underrated, he runs hard, tackles hard and is just a beast of a competitor.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #164
Curnow is underrated, he runs hard, tackles hard and is just a beast of a competitor.
Been a handy player and sets a good example but I think we need four high class attacking mids rather than three plus one defensive one, a game winner rather than a saver.
Teams just bat deeper now and we need more players with better weapons.
Ed will make us a handy B grade midfield but I want an A grade set of mids who can compete with the best and who require taggers not the other way around.