Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 10741 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #165
Been a handy player and sets a good example but I think we need four high class attacking mids rather than three plus one defensive one, a game winner rather than a saver.
Teams just bat deeper now and we need more players with better weapons.
Ed will make us a handy B grade midfield but I want an A grade set of mids who can compete with the best and who require taggers not the other way around.

The problem with getting too many a-grade mids is that nobody wants to get their hands dirty.
Look at GWS, best bunch of mids in the game, even though they lose an a-grade player most years.....yet as a team, pathetic. They are a bunch of superstars with no team-first players.....or very few at least.

Reply #166
The player who worries me most is Harry.  Since his recruitment we have been waiting for him to deliver.  At that time he was compared with Wayne Carey.  We all know that Carey had a football brain.  What is between Harry's ears is anyone's guess.

It's said that he'll get better when he has played fifty games, but the mistakes he continues to make through stupid mistakes and being a smart ar@e should have been dealt with by the time he had reached ten games.

If Teague allows Harry to continue with his dinky kick across the body shots for goal, then he is wasted at full forward.

Maybe put him at centre half forward where he will be forced to kick the ball properly and he could actually trouble the opposition.

Reply #167
The problem with getting too many a-grade mids is that nobody wants to get their hands dirty.
Look at GWS, best bunch of mids in the game, even though they lose an a-grade player most years.....yet as a team, pathetic. They are a bunch of superstars with no team-first players.....or very few at least.
GWS as a whole have always had the soft tag, highly skilled but if you go hard at them they only have a few blokes who stand up...Greene, Ward....they had to keep playing Mummy, but have very few who wanted to scrap hard including their mids.
You need the right mids, Cotchin was accused of being Murphy like.... a skirter of packs who kicked sideways and didnt enjoy contact but he had to change or probably find himself on the trade table. He isnt a natural get dirty player but has forced himself to be better in that area. Luke Shuey is your ideal mid....can get dirty but also drill a pass or kick a nice goal.
Cripps, Walsh, Williams and Martin have the skills and can get their own ball when the heat is on...I think we will be better when Ed Curnow is our 5th, 6th or 7th choice mid....

Reply #168
Been a handy player and sets a good example but I think we need four high class attacking mids rather than three plus one defensive one, a game winner rather than a saver.
Teams just bat deeper now and we need more players with better weapons.
Ed will make us a handy B grade midfield but I want an A grade set of mids who can compete with the best and who require taggers not the other way around.
Happy to make way for the young attacking mids, not at the the expense of Ed just yet. Plenty of others in the team who get games despite providing little or no benefit should go before Ed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #169
Champion Teams vs Team of Champions?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #170
The player who worries me most is Harry.  Since his recruitment we have been waiting for him to deliver.  At that time he was compared with Wayne Carey.  We all know that Carey had a football brain.  What is between Harry's ears is anyone's guess.

It's said that he'll get better when he has played fifty games, but the mistakes he continues to make through stupid mistakes and being a smart ar@e should have been dealt with by the time he had reached ten games.

If Teague allows Harry to continue with his dinky kick across the body shots for goal, then he is wasted at full forward.

Maybe put him at centre half forward where he will be forced to kick the ball properly and he could actually trouble the opposition.

Judging by some of his ridiculous decisions on Thurs night I'd say predominantly saw dust.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #171

Considering he was not expected to play and was up against one of the best defenders in the league I thought he did okay.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #172
GWS as a whole have always had the soft tag, highly skilled but if you go hard at them they only have a few blokes who stand up...Greene, Ward....they had to keep playing Mummy, but have very few who wanted to scrap hard including their mids.
Watch the Amazon doco - holy hell did we dodge a bullet with Coniglio.  How they made him captain Ill never know.  Just timid, introverted, poor communicator, looks like he doesnt want to be there.  Then, in one of the earlier eps, he skips a recovery session....  no wonder they are soft

Reply #173
Love or hate Murphy I think its time we moved on from him, ditto for Ed Curnow, Betts and probably Casboult(when we get a replacement). Its time to play younger players and look to change things up...vs Richmond it was the same old same old.
Catch 22 - need to play the youngsters to get some experience into them, but as any team has shown (including us a few years back), this is a good way to get belted - which, in turn gives the young guys bad attitudes/habits.
HFC may have been able to do it with Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis as they had a host of other mid-tier leaders, that we dont have
I think you need the Murphy/Curnow experience, even if it doesnt always show up on the stat sheet

Reply #174
Love or hate Murphy I think its time we moved on from him, ditto for Ed Curnow, Betts and probably Casboult(when we get a replacement). Its time to play younger players and look to change things up...vs Richmond it was the same old same old.
We didnt take our chances and fed them with mistakes they lived off, been the same for a while and getting the same results from the same group of players is bordering on insanity.
Play Fogarty in Murphys role and let him develop, bring in Stocker, Honey, Durdin to generate some excitement and find another tall forward/ruck to help TDK and Pittonet.
I think both Murphy and Betts have played one season too many and while you need experience you dont need players who are holding younger players back. Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge were all moved on by the Hawks to allow fresh blood to play.
I'll be saying the same thing about Cripps in a couple of years if we cant win a flag, let him go and lets gets some value for him while we can. Murphy should have been let go when we let Gibbs go, fresh start for him at a contending club and we get some picks/players who might help us more. Watching players just fizzle out like Murphy as one club players is old school thinking and its a professional game where the clubs needs come first.

I agree with all of this Elwood. I too believe we should move on from the guys who have been the 'close enough yet not good enough' types. We need to do what the great clubs and teams do, regenerate and get ahead of the curve. Play the kids at different stages. Get some zip and excitement with this new group as opposed to the blokes who have been a part of the losing Carlton culture in past years.

I'd be looking toward the guys you said such as Stocker, Cottrell, Durdin, Owies, Honey, Philp, Ramsay, Kemp, Carrroll and Parks at different stages when fit.

And, perhaps our ruck/forward due can become both Pittonet and De Koning when TDK is fit.

We have to play Martin the middle more. I see him as our own Shane Edwards from the Tiges and guys like Fogarty and Gibbons challenged to play the Kane Lambert role.

Reply #175
Easily got a ticket in the AFL members level 1 last week. No luck today despite capacity being increased to 75%.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #176
Easily got a ticket in the AFL members level 1 last week. No luck today despite capacity being increased to 75%.
So the reverse for me. Last week was stuck in the very last row of level 4 and this week I got Level 1! Did absolutely nothing different?