Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 0R 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Brisbane v Carlton (Read 3518 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 0R 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Brisbane v Carlton

Lets get things started shall we.
A few questions to ask:
1.. Will Walshy get up?
2. Will Motlop miss?
3. Do Williams and Kennedy come in?
4. Do we play TDK and Pitto or TDK and H?
5. Does/Can Marchy come in or is he hurt also?

A lacklustre performance tonight to say the least, but I'm reliably told its a praccy match and so just ignore it.

From what I saw of Young tonight, Durdin plays if he is fit.
Despite H hurting my eyes in the ruck, Pitto made him look like Big Nic.
I think Williams and Kennedy need to come in for sure.

Cant see us beating the Lions up there, but Ill wipe tonight from my memory and say you never know.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: AFL Rd 0R 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Brisbane v Carlton

Reply #1
Pressure and intensity was a feature of our second half of last year.
It's been non-existent in these practice games.
That will make a huge difference.

But the other issue at the moment, and one not so easy to overcome, is our structure.
With key players missing on all lines we'll have a task in front of us.
It has a flow on effect on players whose jobs would be a little easier with a full strength side.

Reply #2
Harry, Saad, Hewett had great pre season games and expect that form to continue.

Deadwood need to be weeded out ASAP and make room for new blood. We cant fall in the same traps of the past of keeping mediocre players on the list in place of yougsters with upside.

Wilson, Binns and Moir need to play plenty of games this season.

Reply #3
Not impressed by today.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
Plenty of highlight moments.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Plenty of highlight moments.
Ok, Im waiting? Actually lets not hijack this thread with the praccy stuff but feel free to jump over that that thread and enlighten me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #6
I'd go with:
FB Saad D Durdin Newman
HB Williams McGovern Docherty
C Hollands Cripps Acres
R De Koning Cerra Hewett
HF Cottrell Curnow Cunningham
FF Motlop McKay Fogarty
INT
Kemp Wilson Kennedy Boyd Fantasia (sub)
EMERG Cincotta Binns Marchbank
Wilson showed a snippet of why we picked him. If not him, Binns .
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
I assumed Williams is no where near selection as he only played 60% of a VFL practice match.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
Lets get things started shall we.
A few questions to ask:
1.. Will Walshy get up?
Possibly.  I believe that his back injury will be ever present and has to be managed by lighter training loads than normal.  It could be a line ball but I suspect we'll be conservative.

2. Will Motlop miss?
It was reported at the time that he was taken out of the game as a precaution.  As Vossy often says, it will depend on the results of the scans.  I'm tipping that he'll play.

3. Do Williams and Kennedy come in?
Probably not on the back of limited pre-season minutes.  Kennedy looked good though.

4. Do we play TDK and Pitto or TDK and H?
I can't see how we could play Pitto on Wednesday's form.  Short of a gallop and didn't really get near it.  The King and Harry for me.

5. Does/Can Marchy come in or is he hurt also?
Marchy is recovering from a virus (long COVID?) and is a couple of weeks away.

A lacklustre performance tonight to say the least, but I'm reliably told its a praccy match and so just ignore it.

From what I saw of Young tonight, Durdin plays if he is fit.
Tall Durds has played in one VFL practice match and I don't think they'll take a chance with him.  I thought Young and Kemp did OK.

Despite H hurting my eyes in the ruck, Pitto made him look like Big Nic.
Harry must have spent a lot of the summer working with Matty K and he provides so much more around the ground than Pitto.

I think Williams and Kennedy need to come in for sure.
Kennedy possibly but I doubt whether Zac is ready.

Cant see us beating the Lions up there, but Ill wipe tonight from my memory and say you never know.

Lij Hollands is an out and Kennedy is a possible replacement, depending on his match fitness.  I'd prefer to see Binns get a run.  He was lively when he came on.  I would be tempted to play Moir in the Jack Martin role.

It's going to be a tough ask without Weiters, Walsh and Martin and with Brisbane close to full strength.  The temperature and humidity won't help either but we've had similar conditions for training and our practice matches.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Lij Hollands is an out and Kennedy is a possible replacement, depending on his match fitness.  I'd prefer to see Binns get a run.  He was lively when he came on.  I would be tempted to play Moir in the Jack Martin role.

It's going to be a tough ask without Weiters, Walsh and Martin and with Brisbane close to full strength.  The temperature and humidity won't help either but we've had similar conditions for training and our practice matches.
I wish I could lip read because after the game, the two coaches came together on the boundary line and were talking and I dont know why but I had a feeling that Goody asked Vossy if Walshy will play round OR and Vossy looked to me like he as was saying "yeh probably" or something like that. I recorded the game so I might have another look at that bit and see if I can make it out.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #10
Midfield need to get it together - they are doing okay just not connecting with backline.
Need a general in the backline to orchestrate things - maybe Doc needs to fill a leadership hole there until Weits returns

Reply #11
Midfield need to get it together - they are doing okay just not connecting with backline.
Need a general in the backline to orchestrate things - maybe Doc needs to fill a leadership hole there until Weits returns

Agree. Doc has to lead the defence until Weiters returns.

Cant have the likes of Kemp Young Boyd and co playing in as a group in such a pressure position without a general providing on field guidance.

Reply #12
Nic Newman is the leader in the back line.  I suspect we were tinkering more than anything else.  Also tough to get a read where we are at as we have a game next week where most others don't, and it was our first season playing deep for quite some time (our last prelim was 1999).  We may have a mini hangover at the start of the season as a consequence, and we may also be in a different training stage to others although Melbourne are playing this week.  So long as we finish stronger than we start its all good. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
Docherty hasn't played as a defender since midway through the 2022 season.  When we were short of medium defenders last season, Cerra and Hewett were preferred over Docherty ... or he was preferred as a midfielder ahead of them. 

If Docherty was to be played in defence, which defender would he replace and who would take his spot in the midfield?

Newman and Marchbank are Weitering's "deputies" so we need McGovern and Saad, as our other senior defenders, to step up and support Newy.  More importantly, we need all players to switch on defensively, trap the ball in our forward line, slow Brisbane's ball movement and force them to go down the line.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
Docherty hasn't played as a defender since midway through the 2022 season.  When we were short of medium defenders last season, Cerra and Hewett were preferred over Docherty ... or he was preferred as a midfielder ahead of them. 

If Docherty was to be played in defence, which defender would he replace and who would take his spot in the midfield?

Newman and Marchbank are Weitering's "deputies" so we need McGovern and Saad, as our other senior defenders, to step up and support Newy.  More importantly, we need all players to switch on defensively, trap the ball in our forward line, slow Brisbane's ball movement and force them to go down the line.

With his injuries and cancer he had to reinvent himself as he couldn't defend like he used to. The backline has been better since he moved out of it and he has been better since he has established himself as a legit midfielder.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!