Skip to main content
Topic: Winning isn't everything (Read 16695 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Winning isn't everything

Reply #105
You realise we have won 4 games in 40 games?

On our list we have 4 pick 1's
A pick 2
2 x pick 3's
A pick 4
A pick 5
2 x pick 6's
2 x pick 10's
2 x pick 12's
2 x pick 13's
1 x pick 16

I don't think there is a bigger car wreck than us atm

And them the facts. Stark reality. (And you could throw Cuningham and Stocker into that as another two 1st round picks).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #106
Yep the close losses are a fantasy.
They're not real wins, they're wins that didn't happen
They're excuses, valid ones in some cases.
They give us a bit of hope.
But what they give us hope for is that we can give a good effort on the day.
They wont show up in record books and probably wont be remembered by us in ten years time when we think back on this period.

I remember Blight kicking a goal from the opposite goal square, I remember Kernahan hitting the behind post for  a draw, Fevola missed one for a few metres out one year....I don't remember the reasons for too many more close losses.

Bolton gets credit for the way we've played in most games this year.
But the difference between a close loss and a close win is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Disagree lods.

If it was a once off, like say under Pagan, then yes, Grand Canyon. But thats because we'd have to play at our best, and the opposition at their worst, to eek out a victory back then.

Nowadays, we're in games up to our eyeballs, and not exactly playing brilliant footy.

We don't have to kick 11 goals straight, and the opposition 7.23 to get a victory.
We have been on the verge of winning games this year despite...
1. Not turning up for a half
2. Not getting a free kick in a half
3. Not being able to kick it through the big sticks.
etc

We are consistently in games. The difference between a win and a loss is as small as crossing the road, not the grand canyon.

Reply #107
Close losses are to look back on with regret not to build your future on. Just my opinion.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #108
Disagree lods.

If it was a once off, like say under Pagan, then yes, Grand Canyon. But thats because we'd have to play at our best, and the opposition at their worst, to eek out a victory back then.

Nowadays, we're in games up to our eyeballs, and not exactly playing brilliant footy.

We don't have to kick 11 goals straight, and the opposition 7.23 to get a victory.
etc

We are consistently in games. The difference between a win and a loss is as small as crossing the road, not the grand canyon.

We were in 2017 too. 6 wins and 7 losses were we led during the last qtr, many against very good sides. Gone back since then. We need to get past that and win. 4th year in losing to the GC, Sydney here in Melbourne and North were not an option. Rather than worrying about those things we just have to start winning. After this week we get a big run of winnable games. Obviously won't be winning, all but we must win quite a few of them.

Reply #109
Disagree lods.

etc

Nah
Kruds
Once they're gone they're soon forgotten.
In 2006 (under Pagan) we lost 7 games by less than 20 points....and finished last
We could probably point to similar moments (excuses) in many of those games.

Reply #110
You realise we have won 4 games in 40 games?

On our list we have 4 pick 1's
A pick 2
2 x pick 3's
A pick 4
A pick 5
2 x pick 6's
2 x pick 10's
2 x pick 12's
2 x pick 13's
1 x pick 16

I don't think there is a bigger car wreck than us atm

You do realise that that's spin and hes actually won 9 matches in the last 52 right?  That's a dramatic swing in winning percentage to include the whole of 2017 rather than just the part after Murphy got injured.

Still it wouldn't be a forum without some bullcrap.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #111
You do realise that that's spin and hes actually won 9 matches in the last 52 right?  That's a dramatic swing in winning percentage to include the whole of 2017 rather than just the part after Murphy got injured.

Or 3 in 30 since the start of 2018.
Or 1 in 7 this year,

It's all spin to suit the argument :D

Reply #112
Or 3 in 30 since the start of 2018.
Or 1 in 7 this year,

It's all spin to suit the argument :D

Nah let me spin it to prove a point.  Let's start at round 3 of 2017, when our wins begin and drop the first to rounds of 2017.

That way he can have a 9 from 50 record.

Paul Hewson

Reply #113
We can keep debating the past forever. The focus for me is the future. The team is coming together, the metrics are improving, the pieces of the puzzle are coming together. The final piece of the puzzle is wins, and IMO they will come.

Reply #114
There is no spin saying we have won 3 from 30 since the start of last season. It's a cold hard fact.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #115
We were in 2017 too. 6 wins and 7 losses were we led during the last qtr, many against very good sides. Gone back since then. We need to get past that and win. 4th year in losing to the GC, Sydney here in Melbourne and North were not an option. Rather than worrying about those things we just have to start winning. After this week we get a big run of winnable games. Obviously won't be winning, all but we must win quite a few of them.

Point i'm making is this Jimbo.

We are so close to a win, that we are doing everything possible to avoid them currently. You couldn't predict how bad our luck is.

1. Against Gold Coast, leading 100mins of football. Lose it in the last minute.
2. Against Hawks, dominating for a half, fell asleep for the 2nd, still a mere 1.5 seconds away from having a shot for goal to win the match after the siren. Harry marked the ball while the siren was still blowing FFS!
3. Against the pies, 2 free kicks in the half to lose it in the last couple of minutes of the game. Goals which on any other day would never have happened because those (non-paid) free kicks change the course of the game.
4. Against Sydney we had more scoring shots, they couldn't miss the goals, and Buddy was dominated, but still looked after by the umps on 2 occasions.

I said the other day, that if it had've been one of our boys that climbed the post, the free kick against for doing so would definitely have been paid, thus losing the game. THAT is the kind of trend we are currently in.

So, with all of this bad luck, we are due for some wins, and plenty of them. I suggested as much before the Dogs game. No way could we be THAT unlucky again, and was proved right. Dominated the game, won all 4 quarters. There will be more of that coming our way shortly.....and you better get used to it because it will be a lot more frequent soon enough.

Reply #116
Tanking for the mid season draft...and then we'll let loose ;) :D

Reply #117
Point i'm making is this Jimbo.

We are so close to a win, that we are doing everything possible to avoid them currently. You couldn't predict how bad our luck is.

1. Against Gold Coast, leading 100mins of football. Lose it in the last minute.
2. Against Hawks, dominating for a half, fell asleep for the 2nd, still a mere 1.5 seconds away from having a shot for goal to win the match after the siren. Harry marked the ball while the siren was still blowing FFS!
3. Against the pies, 2 free kicks in the half to lose it in the last couple of minutes of the game. Goals which on any other day would never have happened because those (non-paid) free kicks change the course of the game.
4. Against Sydney we had more scoring shots, they couldn't miss the goals, and Buddy was dominated, but still looked after by the umps on 2 occasions.

I said the other day, that if it had've been one of our boys that climbed the post, the free kick against for doing so would definitely have been paid, thus losing the game. THAT is the kind of trend we are currently in.

So, with all of this bad luck, we are due for some wins, and plenty of them. I suggested as much before the Dogs game. No way could we be THAT unlucky again, and was proved right. Dominated the game, won all 4 quarters. There will be more of that coming our way shortly.....and you better get used to it because it will be a lot more frequent soon enough.

Yep.

One more thing, we have done all of this whilst carrying players giving us minimal game day contribution.

McGovern's time on ground percentage is very low for a mature player.

Lochie o'Brien was giving us minimal.  Ditto garlett and poison when they played.

We are falling short largely because of this.

Paul Hewson

Reply #118

Yeah ok that’s spin but the 8 quarters won is what?
It’s either fact or it isn’t
4 from 40 is fact
3 from 30 is fact
Spin is trying to say Murphy would have made a difference

Reply #119
Yeah ok that’s spin but the 8 quarters won is what?
It’s either fact or it isn’t
4 from 40 is fact
3 from 30 is fact
Spin is trying to say Murphy would have made a difference
  no it's not.  Spin is using selective statistics.   Why not use 9 in 50?

As for Murphy getting injured its positively true.

Food for thought.  The middle of that season was the last time we had all 3 of docherty,  Murphy and cripps on field together with Matthew kreuzer not being broken every 3 games.

Paul Hewson